• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Academy, NextGen, U18 & U21 Premier League and On-Loan Thread

Ahhh makes sense. Seems like a win/win for both sides. Will def try and watch more Swindon games games. I think Parrett/Luongo will impress the most.

On what basis do you think Parrett will impress?!? He's been out on loan half a dozen or so times and failed at pretty much every one of them!

£2m for Parrett wasn't it?

What a waste.

Dont think it was a 'waste' given signing any 15 year old will always be high risk. Think signing those players is the right thing to do but, given the high risk/ow probability of each individual player making it, what you should do is say sign 5 of them i.e. spend £10m and then look at the progress of the group - hopefully if you sign 5 of them then 1 might make it as a PL player and be worth say £10m - £15m, a couple might only makeit to championship lever and be worth a couple million each and then a couple will inevitably fail. Problem is Parrett and Bostock both seem to be falling into the final category!!!

Dont think it was a 'waste' given signing any 15 year old will always be high risk. Think signing those players is the right thing to do but, given the high risk/ow probability of each individual player making it, what you should do is say sign 5 of them i.e. spend £10m and then look at the progress of the group - hopefully if you sign 5 of them then 1 might make it as a PL player and be worth say £10m - £15m, a couple might only makeit to championship lever and be worth a couple million each and then a couple will inevitably fail. Problem is Parrett and Bostock both seem to be falling into the final category!!!

You're not wrong actually.

Didn't Liverpool pay big bucks for Raheem Sterling? (off QPR too) and he looks a handful and a decent Prem player. I do wonder how certain players would fair if they were at other clubs though. If we had got Sterling for example, would he play the odd game or would he be sent out on loan ala Townsend etc. or if Parrett ended up at Liverpool or Arsenal etc. would they have been given games etc.

Interesting to think about imo.

RAMSEY ON U21s 4-0 WBA:

Chris Ramsey was pleased with how our Under-21s coped with tricky conditions in Monday's 4-0 win against West Brom.

The teams were greeted by a strong, bitterly-cold wind blowing down the pitch and snow at kick-off for the Barclays U21 Premier League, Elite Group encounter at the Training Centre.

The experience of Tom Huddlestone and Tom Carroll helped the team take control in the first half and after striking the woodwork twice in as many minutes, Jack Munns opened the scoring midway through the half.

Two quick goals in the second half through Kenny McEvoy and Munns put the lads in control and Shaq Coulthirst completed the scoring late on.

"It was really difficult out there - we must have experienced three differenent seasons in the first half!" said Chris, our Senior Professional Phase Coach.

"At times, it was difficult getting the ball out of your own half in the strong wind but I was delighted with the way the lads adapted. It wasn't as pretty as we'd like but sometimes you have to adapt and learn how to play in the conditions.

"Obviously it was great to see the likes of Tom Huddlestone and Tom Carroll maintain their fitness by coming into the team and that was a real boost for the players.

"Shaq did well for us again, took his goal well and we had a really young midfield with the likes of Nabil Bentaleb, Kenny and later Milos Veljkovic and Giancarlo Gallofuoco off the bench in the second half.

"All in all, it was a very good performance and there was alot to take from the performance, both individually and as a team."

The lads stay top of the Elite Group with five wins from their seven matches so far.

Veljkovic sounds like a very interesting prospect.

Still only 17 and has been a regular for the under 18's and under 19's since he was 15. Now also playing for the under 21's.

So he's either a very good, young player, with a mature head on his shoulders or he's just one of these kids who became physically mature before all his peers and his advantage will fade as the others catch up. Hopefully the former.

He also appears to be versatile - playing both in midfield and defence.

One to keep an eye on, possibly.

Last edited:
very impressed the few times i have seen him play, very good on the ball and makes the correct decisions. the only negative is that he seems very 1 paced if that makes sense, quite slow off the mark and seems to have no acceleration

very impressed the few times i have seen him play, very good on the ball and makes the correct decisions. the only negative is that he seems very 1 paced if that makes sense, quite slow off the mark and seems to have no acceleration

Sounds not entirely unike a fellow Balkan (yes, even though he was born in Switzerland!) - Vedran Corluka.

The likes of McEachran, Welbeck, and Cleverly did not distinguish themselves on loan either, yet I think they are all very good players. You have to consider that Townsend and Livermore were not among our highest rated players either, compared to Mason and Kane and Pritchard, yet they are the ones who actually seem to be making progress in our squad, along with Carroll and Caulker.

Ryan Mason is continuing to play for Lorient B in the French CFA. His appearances to date:

16/02/13 64 mins Pontivy (A) Lost 0-2
23/02/13 75 mins Bordeaux B (H) Lost 1-3
02/03/13 Full game Plabennec (A) Won 2-0
09/03/13 Full game Fontenay-le-Comte (H) Drew 0-0

How exactly do you fail at a loan?

By joining a team on loan and barely playing! Means that you're just training with a lower division team and therefore being coached by inferior coaches and learning from inferior other players. You may as well be back at your main club! Generally, if we have players who are say 20 and are not able to break into the starting 11 of a league 1 team then they either dont have the ability or desire to make it. If it happens once then you could put it down to that player struggling to adapt or not seeing eye to eye with the manager etc but with some of our 'youngsters' (who are no longer than young by the way) such as parrett and bostock it seems to happen wherever they go on loan

The likes of McEachran, Welbeck, and Cleverly did not distinguish themselves on loan either, yet I think they are all very good players. You have to consider that Townsend and Livermore were not among our highest rated players either, compared to Mason and Kane and Pritchard, yet they are the ones who actually seem to be making progress in our squad, along with Carroll and Caulker.

Pritchard is younger than the others whilst Mason seems to get injured repeatedly (or has done for the past 2-3 years). You are right though in that being a decent young player isnt a great guide as to who will make it at the top level - the best example of this is looking back at England U-21 teams from the last 10-20 years and seeing what happened to the people who were supposedly the best of their age in England

U19 NextGen Series Quarter Finals Fixtures:

Chelsea 17.03 Juventus at Griffin Park KO 12:30
Tottenham Hotspur 20.03 Sporting Clube at Leyton Orient KO 19:00
Aston Villa 20.03 Olympiakos at Villa Park KO 19:00
Arsenal 25.03 CSKA Moscow at Emirates Stadium KO 19:00

RAMSEY FOR WORLD CUP U20

Following an announcement by the FA this morning (Wednesday) Chris Ramsey has been appointed as Assistant Head Coach for England's Under-20 team for June's FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Turkey.

Our Senior Professional Phase Coach will be part of former Spurs player and England Under-21 manager Peter Taylor's backroom staff after he was confirmed as Head Coach for the summer tournament.

Chris has previous experience of the tournament having managed the national team's Under-20 side at the 1999 edition in Nigeria.

"It’s a great honour to represent your country at any level,” said Chris.

"It’s also a fantastic opportunity for me to gain further insight into the trends in worldwide football at an international tournament like this.

"It will be a tremendous experience for everyone involved. I’ve been at this tournament before as England Under-20 manager, so it’s great to re-visit it."

Ramsey with the U20 set up should help some of our players get into the squad for the summer - like Harry Kane, Alex Pritchard and perhaps Shaq Coulthirst

Anyone know the full name of the our goalkeeper who played in the Spurs XI against Southend game on August 10, 2012? The official site has him listed as Ryan in the match report but I can't find the player listed in the Academy.

Back