• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tactics Thread

i dont see the point in buying all these people just to destroy the model after 1 hard loss

....................lloris
walker....dawson....verts.....rose

...........capoue/sandro
.......paulinho....dembele

lamela......solly..........eriksen

or

...................lloris
walker....dawson....verts.....rose

...........capoue.......sandro
.......paulinho..........

lamela......solly..........eriksen

Those midfield 3s don't have enough going forwards. Play two of them with a someone more creative in the hole

I agree. Something like this would be better, with Paulinho in the Lampard role.

----------------------------Lloris----------------------------
Walker----------Kaboul---------------Vert'--------------Rose
---------------Sandro-------------Paulinho------------------
Lamela------------------Eriksen---------------------Townsend
-----------------------Soldado-------------------------------

But Lamela is a Bale replacement. Bale played around 4 diff positions

I don't think he's been bought to be a direct replacment - his best position, from what i can tell, is RWF - Eriksen, again from what i can tell, plays either AMC or MC in a 3 - so the formation i have put forward makes use of these two players in those positions, you can tinker that to a 4231 if you so wish with Eriksen moving further forward (which i presume he will naturally do in games anyway) but i do see the wide men more as forwards than wingers - hence 433

After Holtbys excellent showing in Europe game, surprised he didn't play. He would have supplied the link up play to get the ball to Soldado. Townsend played well but needs to look for the passs. Soldado will soon fall out with him if not. 57% possession at the Emirates proves the midfield is strong, just the final ball. Really excited for the season if that can be sorted.

In my opinion, Arsenal was a tough nut to crack with the line up we had. Villa beat them due to their high tempo which we lacked yesterday, plus the huge gap between midfield and Soldado.
AVB didn't get it right this time and the lads didn't play their best game.
We desperately need some creativity and possession in midfield..Eriksen will provide that once he s integrated and Lamela is needed to up the tempo.
One more important change needs to be Chiriches at the back. You might think that I'm only saying this because I'm from Romania and would obviously favor him over Dawson, but he's much more composed and gives tones of confidence to the defence, coaches and fans. He still has to improve his heading skills, but he makes up for that with his football IQ, super passing ability and speed.
I see nobody's got their money on him to make the starting line up, but he will be our 2nd best defender by Christmas (behind Jan), mark my words :)
He will become an icon for THFC as he did for Steaua and Romanian football.

Yesterday we lacked creativity, but we also looked very reluctant to attack in numbers until the final 10-15 minutes. We had our chances in counter attack many times, but didn't go all in.

Also, there was a lot of poor decision making in the final third, when players went for glory with long range efforts instead of looking for a breakthrough pass. That's where **** did very well; their passing in front of and around our box was superior to ours. When they cut us open time and time again, our movement and passing was neither good enough nor fast enough for us to cause much threat.

Thirdly, when we did manage to get into position, the delivery from the wings (Walker, Chadli, Rose and Townsend) was pretty poor. Those few times when the delivery was up to standard, we caused trouble for **** - notably Soldado's two shots that were blocked (one in each half).

I agree. Something like this would be better, with Paulinho in the Lampard role.

Lamela------------------Eriksen---------------------Townsend

Like it, but I would personally like to see Lennon back in and Lamela given more freedom:

Lennon----------------Lamela-----------------------Eriksen

After Holtbys excellent showing in Europe game, surprised he didn't play. He would have supplied the link up play to get the ball to Soldado. Townsend played well but needs to look for the passs. Soldado will soon fall out with him if not. 57% possession at the Emirates proves the midfield is strong, just the final ball. Really excited for the season if that can be sorted.

It's more than just the final ball - the only player making good runs off the ball for us was Soldado, and when only one player is trying to create space for himself and others, he's easy to mark. The reason we ****ed up for their goal is because they came forward with 4 players making good runs into space at the same time, across the box and away from the ball completely confusing our defence. Contrast that to us and everytime we had the ball our midfield 3 would stand 6 foot from each other to play harmless triangles in the centre of the pitch; Walker and Townsend would meanwhile stand on top of each other almost marking each other and Chadli was nowhere to be seen after the first 15 minutes. Rose tried but it rarely came off.

We need to stretch the play from the wings to help give Soldado space, we needed someone with goal threat to occupy the space in front of their centrebacks so that they can't just sit deep and mark our striker out of the game and we need movement along with the passing from the other midfielders.

That's all stuff I'm sure we'll work on the training ground but we've just had pre season with most of these players in full attendance, why can't Townsend, Chadli and Soldado - who spent most of the summmer together - work as a trio, and ditto why did Paulinho, Capoue and Dembele look like they've never played a game together in their life? Makes me wonder what have they been working on in training up to this point; if its a case of AVB's system not working without a proper no10, then why drop Siggy for another defensive player? Sure things weren't coming off for him but he got a few good shots off against palace and Swansea which is more than Dembele or Paulinho did yesterday, and Holtby looked more than impressive midweek.

I could understand if we were trying some impressive looking play which just fails to work as the crosses hit the first man, the ball wasn't quite weighted enough, we were offside or we just didn't click for another reason, but it was the way it didn't look like we had a clue what to try that worried me.

Individual performances will get better as the season goes on and players get used to the league, the team will also gell and we'll start to look like a quality side i'm sure, but until that point we're going to be ugly as sin to watch play based on the first three games.

Those midfield 3s don't have enough going forwards. Play two of them with a someone more creative in the hole

They do have enough. It's just, from what i've seen, we're not playing Paulinho in a role that suits him. He needs to have the ball in advanced positions and as little as possible. That way he can burst forward and pick positions that remain undetected to the opposition. Bursting forward and finishing off chances is his forte from what i've seen and sitting deep and playing passes is something he doesn't appear to be comfortable doing.

The only question i have is whether Dembele is suited to a deeper or more advanced role. So far he looks better sitting deeper but need to see him in the advanced role a few more times to make a better judgement. It's either:

-------------------Sandro/Capoue------------Dembele--------------------------

----------------------------------Paulinho--------------------------------------

or

--------------------------Sandro/Capoue-------------------------------

-------------------Dembele--------------Paulinho-----------------------

Assuming that we don't make any more signings and that BAE is sold or remains out of favour I would like to see the following for our next match:

-------------Lloris-------------
Walker-Kaboul-Vertonghen-Rose
-----------Sandro-------------
-------Paulinho-Eriksen--------
Lamela------------------Chadli
-----------Soldado------------

Feel free to "flip the triangle" and put Sandro and Paulinho deep with Eriksen ahead of him if it makes any of you more comfortable. More just indicating that when we attack Sandro will hold most of the time whilst Paulinho and Eriksen are given the freedom to roam forward.

That is the team I would like to see as well. Against teams like Norwich, we don't need two DMs and we need desperately all the creativity we can get. May swop Chadli with Townsend though.

Why do people put Eriksen on the left?

He is a central player

Many of us see Lamela as our No. 10 (although it remains to be seen whether AVB sees it that way) meaning Eriksen would play somewhere else. Since we're covered on the right, he goes on the left (and it'd be more an inside left position than a left wing position).

I notice that many people seem to be treating our purchases as though they are all on the same level with the same chances of starting. I think that's wrong and I think they fall into two categories (maybe 3):

Signings for automatic 1st team/"Spine" signings:
- Soldado
- Lamela
- Paulinho

Squad signings/Young players/Cover
- Chadli
- Capoue
- Chirches

Somewhere in the middle/TBC
- Eriksen

In this context, putting Lamela on the right to accomodate Eriksen, or dropping Sandro to play Capoue, or making Chadli an automatic starter just because he's new doesn't add up.

The (central) spine for me is our 5 world class players: Lloris > Verts > Pauly > Lamela > Soldado...and everyone else fits in around that, including Eriksen for now.

Just IMO anyway!

Same was said for Coutinho but he's flourishing on the left.

Excellent example.

I really would have thought that at this point Spurs fans would stop saying "this is his position, no other position" about a very talented 21 year old attacking player with a wide range of skills.

Excellent example.

I really would have thought that at this point Spurs fans would stop saying "this is his position, no other position" about a very talented 21 year old attacking player with a wide range of skills.

I still think our best bet would be:

-----------------Capoue/Sandro-------------------

------------Paulinho----------Dembele-------------

--Lamela---------------------------- -----Eriksen--

---------------------Soldado--------------------

We just need to work out how to use Paulinho and Dembele properly.

Many of us see Lamela as our No. 10 (although it remains to be seen whether AVB sees it that way) meaning Eriksen would play somewhere else. Since we're covered on the right, he goes on the left (and it'd be more an inside left position than a left wing position).

I notice that many people seem to be treating our purchases as though they are all on the same level with the same chances of starting. I think that's wrong and I think they fall into two categories (maybe 3):

Signings for automatic 1st team/"Spine" signings:
- Soldado
- Lamela
- Paulinho

Squad signings/Young players/Cover
- Chadli
- Capoue
- Chirches

Somewhere in the middle/TBC
- Eriksen

In this context, putting Lamela on the right to accomodate Eriksen, or dropping Sandro to play Capoue, or making Chadli an automatic starter just because he's new doesn't add up.

The (central) spine for me is our 5 world class players: Lloris > Verts > Pauly > Lamela > Soldado...and everyone else fits in around that, including Eriksen for now.

Just IMO anyway!

Playing Lamela on the right wouldn't be to accomodate Eriksen it would be because that is his natural position.

Agree with the two/three groups things

Soldado, Eriksen, Lamela, Paulhino (imv are first choice signings)

Capoue, Chadli, Chiriches - serious competition for the positions they have been bought in

You would have also thought watching Luka Modric week in week out was evidence enough that a predominantly central midfield player can be just as effective playing on the left hand side. Hell Santi Cazorla is another example.

Playing Lamela on the right wouldn't be to accomodate Eriksen it would be because that is his natural position.

I don't think we know that for certain by any means BY.

1. He played No. 10 at River Plate, and since he obviously had rather serious competition for that position at Roma, he played on the right. If anything the evidence suggests it was that move to the right that was unnatural to him.

2. He's a left footed player, so saying the right is his natural position doesn't seem intuitively correct. Left or central are more natural for a lefty....lefties playing on the right, or vica versa, is a somewhat new phenomenon in football.

Back