• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Superstitions

minnow

Andy Turner
Nearly every game I see Kyle Walker do a little routine in front of the East stand at the start of the second half where he takes a drink, pours some over his head and blows some out of his mouth in a spray. It's always the same. Today he was doing it over in front of the West stand as we played towards Paxton first half, and I saw him doing something else odd instead at the start of the game - kind of flicking his hands around his legs, though not sure this is a regular occurrence...

Now maybe these things are a bit OCD and not just superstition or habit, but I like them. I can't help feeling really uncomfortable unless I go into the ground through turnstile 61. Even if I have to queue on the next line I still make them let me go through 61. What do I think will happen? Nothing. But I still do it.

Anyway, what stuff have you noticed players present or past doing as a habit like this? And what dumb stuff can't you stop doing before or at a game out of superstition?

Nearly every game I see Kyle Walker do a little routine in front of the East stand at the start of the second half where he takes a drink, pours some over his head and blows some out of his mouth in a spray. It's always the same. Today he was doing it over in front of the West stand as we played towards Paxton first half, and I saw him doing something else odd instead at the start of the game - kind of flicking his hands around his legs, though not sure this is a regular occurrence...

Now maybe these things are a bit OCD and not just superstition or habit, but I like them. I can't help feeling really uncomfortable unless I go into the ground through turnstile 61. Even if I have to queue on the next line I still make them let me go through 61. What do I think will happen? Nothing. But I still do it.

Anyway, what stuff have you noticed players present or past doing as a habit like this? And what dumb stuff can't you stop doing before or at a game out of superstition?
Like so many players Aaron Lennon always did (does) the sign of the cross as he emerges from the tunnel. I had no idea there were so many Roman Catholics around. .. or is this something that other faiths also have in common?

I like these little idiosyncrasies.

What I can't naffing stand are the look-at-me affectations that a lot of players do.

I'm thinking of Sturridge always turning around and running backwards onto the pitch when he comes on as sub.

There's some other prick that always hops over the line too. Might be a gooner.

And Javier Hernandez dropping to his knees in the center circle to pray.

Actually, all players that make a big show of praying.

It's all gonad*s and they're more worried about screen time. Of course, a lot it started with Ronaldo's very silly free kick routine: the super wide stance and huge exhalation.

Just play the naffing game.

I like these little idiosyncrasies.

What I can't naffing stand are the look-at-me affectations that a lot of players do.

I'm thinking of Sturridge always turning around and running backwards onto the pitch when he comes on as sub.

There's some other prick that always hops over the line too. Might be a gooner.

And Javier Hernandez dropping to his knees in the center circle to pray.

Actually, all players that make a big show of praying.

It's all cobblers and they're more worried about screen time. Of course, a lot it started with Ronaldo's very silly free kick routine: the super wide stance and huge exhalation.

Yeah how weird is that. I thought pride was a sin, yet these clowns think they are on a direct line to GHod and he will intervene in their pursuit of sporting glory. As if he hasn't got more important things to do.
Just play the naffing game.

Sheringham had a random face washing sequence he did before a game - didn't clear up his bad attitude but made him a great player

lineker never cut his hair when he was scoring

Gardner had a disturbing habit of hiking one side of his shorts up when he looked nervous, i.e. often.
Huddlestone was doing the haircut thing the other way round wasn't he - wouldn't cut it until he scored, and it got pretty long.
I don't count the chest crossing or praying either.

A lot of those I don't see as superstitions, I always put my shorts on last and wore the same clean briefs until we lost, then I would throw them away. I threw away about a dozen one season.

I have made a habit out of having to say - "come on Tottenham" out loud when a match kicks off. I say it even if I'm alone. :p used to have loads more, but have shaken most of it. Definitely ocd-ish though.

I always log on here using my fake account and ask if there is any adorably cute photos of animals several hours before kick off
Is this a reference to that imbecile 1978? I 'ignored' him years ago, surely he doesn't still do this?

Back