• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: The 1060 pages and finally a striker summer transfer thread

Has anyone posted this yet... Willian doing a little bit of a Modric with the press

“I have a proposal, but it is complicated because the board. Here are many players in the same position, most Brazilian. They buy and do not let go,” said Willian.

“That’s the problem. Everyone knows that I want out, I’m here for five years, won many titles, so I hope you respect my will.

“I do not regret coming here, but this situation has been happening, with Chelsea trying to get me in January and now Tottenham, we start to rethink.”

http://www.london24.com/sport/tottenham/former_chelsea_target_i_want_to_join_tottenham_1_1494185

I did see that and immediately thought of us and Modric - does he know what he is getting into!? :lol:

Also, could be mistaken, but isnt there a limit on how many non-european players we can have?

Gomes, Sandro, Dos Santos... If we want Wilian and Leandro I suspect room has to be made

Also - does the African contingent count as well? I dont think so but am not sure...

No way I would have wanted a player like Sahin under the conditions Liverpool are subject to.

Why would he bother going 100% when in his mind he's playing for Real Madrid's reserves?

And if he turns out to be the next Messi, they'll never see him again in 12 months anyway.

Also, could be mistaken, but isnt there a limit on how many non-european players we can have?

Also - does the African contingent count as well? I dont think so but am not sure...

I don't think there is a limit on non-European players per se. UEFA had one in the early 90s, which put limits on Scottish and Irish players in European competition, but that was abolished.

However, it is more difficult to get work permits for non-"Europeans". European counts all EU and EFTA members, plus a lot of countries due to a treaty with African, Caribbean and Pacific countries.

There is no way on earth that Spurs would have spent around £10 million for a one season loan for Sahin with no guarantee of a permanent move afterwards.

I do agree that Johnson might have been a decent punt but there's obviously been a reason why his appearances for Emirates Marketing Project were so limited.

We didn't pay far off that figure for Adebayor. £80k/wk and a £4m loan fee for a season

No concerns about Moses going to Chelsea, doubt he will even get a game - will be on loan to Wigan in Jan...

No concerns about Johnson going to Sunderland, bullet dodged IMO

Can only assume we werent interested in Sahin, else we could have leveraged the Modric deal to get him

No but the concern is that, at the moment, other clubs are moving forwards and we're not

No but the concern is that, at the moment, other clubs are moving forwards and we're not

You don't have to buy to move forward and often consolidating a winning group is more important. Sadly we can't even do that so we have to buy once Modric goes.

I don't want to buy for the sake of buying, but a players like Moses or Johnson would have been a good buy as 3rd wingers. If we don't have anyone else lined up then I'll be disappointed

No concerns about Moses going to Chelsea, doubt he will even get a game - will be on loan to Wigan in Jan...

No concerns about Johnson going to Sunderland, bullet dodged IMO

Can only assume we werent interested in Sahin, else we could have leveraged the Modric deal to get him

I wouldnt have minded Moses as wing cover, would work well in a 433 as one of the wide players in the front 3.

7m with a potential for 2m more is decent business I think. Probably wont play much but in terms of a fee its a good dead and I'd say he would be on modest wages (less than 40K),

No way I would have wanted a player like Sahin under the conditions Liverpool are subject to.

Why would he bother going 100% when in his mind he's playing for Real Madrid's reserves?

And if he turns out to be the next Messi, they'll never see him again in 12 months anyway.

Not too dissimilar to Ade as Richie pointed out. He is out on loan, he's not playing for a reserve side. If he wants to return to Madrid he has to perform, if he wants to play for another big team next season he has to perform. Also after a year primarily on the bench in Madrid I'm guessing he will be very happy to be playing and will want to prove himself.

If he turns out to be fantastic there's a very good chance that they won't be able to keep him, however if he turns out to be fantastic that might be enough to push them to get into CL or EL football the next year and the deal pays for itself, as well as them getting good performances and results of course.

I wouldnt have minded Moses as wing cover, would work well in a 433 as one of the wide players in the front 3.

7m with a potential for 2m more is decent business I think. Probably wont play much but in terms of a fee its a good dead and I'd say he would be on modest wages (less than 40K),

I wouldn't have minded Moses either, and like you said it seems like decent business. However, as soon as Chelsea wanted him we really didn't stand a chance and unlike Hazard and Oscar I'm not too bothered about Chelsea picking up Moses as I don't think he'll be the one to make the difference.

What must Marin be thinking?

I don't get Chelseas transfer business at all they have bought nothing but attacking midfielders. It's very bizarre if you ask me they look dicey in the back and Torres obviously has been off form for quite some time. Sturridge is their only other striker i can think of what if one of them or both gets injured they are fudged

Circumstances are different with Ade. He wasn't wanted at City. Sahin is seen as being an important part of RM's future.

What must Marin be thinking?

If I'm him I'd be worried. Baring in mind they still have the tried and tested Lampard, Essien, Mikel and Malouda along with Mata, Romelu, Ramires and Meireles from last season, Marin signs at the start of the summer likely thinking he'll be a regular and the they go and buy Hazard, Moses and Oscar too. An absurd number of midfielders, almost all of the them best in the center.

I can't see Hazard, Mata or Lampard being out the team when fit which leaves 9 fighting for 2 spots. Even if you think Lampard will be rested a lot, thats still 10 fighting for 3 places.

Last edited:

Main difference to Ade is the option to buy. They are paying £10m to give RM's player experience!

Circumstances are different with Ade. He wasn't wanted at City. Sahin is seen as being an important part of RM's future.

He isn't that young, turns 24 in a couple weeks. If he isn't playing now, I don't see when he will be.

Caughtoffside is claiming there is a 14m option to buy but I haven't seen it reported anywhere else.

If I'm him I'd be worried. Baring in mind they still have the tried and tested Lampard, Essien, Mikel and Malouda along with Mata, Romelu, Ramires and Meireles from last season, Marin signs at the start of the summer likely thinking he'll be a regular and the they go and buy Hazard, Moses and Oscar too. An absurd number of midfielders, almost all of the them best in the center.

I can't see Hazard, Mata or Lampard being out the team when fit which leaves 9 fighting for 2 spots. Even if you think Lampard will be rested a lot, thats still 10 fighting for 3 places.

Absolutely.
It's a ridiculous scenario.
He could have been a promising signing for us, though not a vital one. But enough about him to get more chances than at Chelsea, enough ability to add something to the team and enough potential to develop into an even better player.
He's just not going to get that and will have to seek solace in the massive wages he's receiving and the comfortable seats they have behind their dugouts.
If he even makes matchday squads.

Caughtoffside is claiming there is a 14m option to buy but I haven't seen it reported anywhere else.

I think that is what Arsenal wanted and Real baulked at it.
Hence the willingness to use Liverpool to keep their player in full competitive match practice for a year while Alonso plays out what may be his final season in Real's team.

Back