• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Our wages went up dramatically in the Champions League season. Some was bonuses for the 4th place, but there must have been new contracts galore because it didn't come down again. So I think the tradition £15m net spend on transfers has largely gone into the wage budget.

The whole money excuse is getting harder and harder to believe.

Through 11/12, we expended all of £7.5m on incomings; while recouping some £38m - a net movement of around +£30m.

Thus far this summer, we expended around £20m on incomings; recouping around £17.5m - a net movement of around -£2.5m.

So, over the course of those two periods, our position on trading is +£27.5m.

Now, there's also been significant revenue increases as new TV contracts on-board, so this - notwithstanding wage inflation offset against attrition - could be considered disposable income too.

So it's somewhat inconceivable to believe that money isn't already there, to significantly strengthen the first team. However, that's making the assumption that - as Daniel Levy promised us all - funds would not be redirected to further the NDP, to the detriment of the first team.

I actually have some genuine knowledge about the state of finance at THFC as my Mrs works for a solicitors firm in Leeds that represents a major global financial firm who happen to have major dealings with THFC. My Mrs has worked personally on several cases involving THFC.

Unfortunately, I can't disclose ANYTHING as it will get back to my Mrs.

Suffice to say transfer incomings/outgoings (purely in terms of fees reported by the papers) are way off the mark. Your 'net spend' and 'position on trading' is also way off the mark.

The problem is that your calculations are A) based on what has been reported in terms of fees and also B) even if the figures are accurate in tems of fees, the financial spend in terms of acquiring players involves a lot more and to say your calculations are overly simplistic doesn't really do it justice.

I will say one thing and I don't know if it did or did not influence the eventual decision, but Spurs spending on agent fees increased MASSIVELY under Redknapp. I can't emphasise this enough. Spurs actually disputed several of the fees incurred too and ended up in court on more than 1 occasion. That's all I can say that is all!

scum sign cazorla, podolski and giroud, on the verge of sahin too, and we have defoe as our main striker.

typical.

no top 4 next year.

I would like us to start a season settled - all the players, accustomed to tactics and to one another. A team geared towards finishing fourth or higher.

We had Vert and Sig as targets before AVB came in - we still got them. We must have the targets for strikers lined up.

Deal arent that simple I agree and will always cut the likes of Levy et al some slack but this is the difference between a successful season and a mediocre one.

Bringing in Ade is fine but it would still leave me with a sense of frustration simply because that area needed an overhaul and Ade would have just been a convenient purchase the same as last summer where it was also convenient. I like Ade and am happy for him to come in but he needs competition - that area just needed an overhaul personally.

I just think we will be happy come the end of the window, and if that means not having many striking options for first game or two I am happy to sacrifice that. Would be great if reinforcements would come in like today, but obviously not going to happen.

I know you'll be ranting about it constantly up until the season starts and probably beyond, but I'm one of those that refrain from judging until the window shuts and we know exactly what we're working with.....

New TV revenue deal doesn't come into effect until the 2013-2014 season.

My post covered two periods: 11/12 & 12/13.

The on-boarding of the last TV deal would've been reflected in the accounts immediately prior to the 11/12 summer transfer window. So, that increase in DI is to be considered over and above that which was generated from player trading.

I actually have some genuine knowledge about the state of finance at THFC as my Mrs works for a solicitors firm in Leeds that represents a major global financial firm who happen to have major dealings with THFC. My Mrs has worked personally on several cases involving THFC.

Suffice to say transfer incomings/outgoings (purely in terms of fees reported by the papers) are way off the mark. Your 'net spend' and 'position on trading' is also way off the mark.

The problem is that your calculations are A) based on what has been reported in terms of fees and also B) even if the figures are accurate in tems of fees, the financial spend in terms of acquiring players involves a lot more and to say your calculations are overly simplistic doesn't really do it justice.

I will say one thing and I don't know if it did or did not influence the eventual decision, but Spurs spending on agent fees increased MASSIVELY under Redknapp. I can't emphasise this enough. Spurs actually disputed several of the fees incurred too and ended up in court on more than 1 occasion. That's all I can say that is all!

Very interesting, thanks!

My post covered two periods: 11/12 & 12/13.

The on-boarding of the last TV deal would've been reflected in the accounts immediately prior to the 11/12 summer transfer window. So, that increase in DI is to be considered over and above that which was generated from player trading.

That's fair enough.

Think most of it goes straight into player wages though.. If one team do it the rest have to do it to keep their players from looking elsewhere..

Is a tad unfortunate..

Oh believe me, I can get very detailed and technical if I want - but it's a football forum, so I kinda wonder to myself what the point of that would be?

Ultimately, our 'net position' isn't anything like I've detailed, as costs are fully amortised across financial years. In actuality, you'll only ever know Tottenham Hotspur's true position - debtors versa creditors - once you've got right back through the accounts and nit-picked every single transaction which has passed through our books. As an auditor in previous guise, I've been there, done that - got the midnight oil.

It's not necessary though, in order to take a view on a football forum. We're not applying strict and fast auditing principles here, merely applying some sound and reasonable assumptions - ballpark figures, and that will do for the purpose of discussion. Yeah I've seen it elsewhere that our agent fees increased - so I'm not sure what pearls of wisdom you're imparting on me there? At the end of the day, financial breakdown is all detailed within contracts - it's a principle audit requirement for full disclosure - therefore if THFC plc were not comfortable or in agreement, then you'd question why they signed it off?

I just think we will be happy come the end of the window, and if that means not having many striking options for first game or two I am happy to sacrifice that. Would be great if reinforcements would come in like today, but obviously not going to happen.

I know you'll be ranting about it constantly up until the season starts and probably beyond, but I'm one of those that refrain from judging until the window shuts and we know exactly what we're working with.....

I wont be happy but i wont use it as a stick to beat Levy with although it is continually tinkling me off.

What im actually more concerned about is that we barely bring anyone in. I know AVB hasnt had much time BUT you could have been blind and still known about our need for our forward line to be upgraded.

As for the judging, I suppose as it has been not just this summer but for maybe the last two summers frustration obviously takes over.

I'm sure we'll be happy on Sept 1st but we are once again in a position where our rivals are getting ready for the big K.O and we appear to be dithering again, we NEED to be strong and done with our transfers before Saudi Sportswashing Machine. There's still hope left.

I wont be happy but i wont use it as a stick to beat Levy with although it is continually tinkling me off.

What im actually more concerned about is that we barely bring anyone in. I know AVB hasnt had much time BUT you could have been blind and still known about our need for our forward line to be upgraded.

As for the judging, I suppose as it has been not just this summer but for maybe the last two summers frustration obviously takes over.

I think that's partly due to the fact we are bring in quality rather than quantity. In years gone by we used to stock up on all sorts of players, where as now like the top teams they usually only add 2/3 top quality players. Sig and Verts are both quality additions who will strengthen the starting line up, lets hope our striker signing(s) will do the same.....

Oh believe me, I can get very detailed and technical if I want - but it's a football forum, so I kinda wonder to myself what the point of that would be?

Ultimately, our 'net position' isn't anything like I've detailed, as costs are fully amortised across financial years. In actuality, you'll only ever know Tottenham Hotspur's true position - debtors versa creditors - once you've got right back through the accounts and nit-picked every single transaction which has passed through our books. As an auditor in previous guise, I've been there, done that - got the midnight oil.

It's not necessary though, in order to take a view on a football forum. We're not applying strict and fast auditing principles here, merely applying some sound and reasonable assumptions - ballpark figures, and that will do for the purpose of discussion. Yeah I've seen it elsewhere that our agent fees increased - so I'm not sure what pearls of wisdom you're imparting on me there? At the end of the day, financial breakdown is all detailed within contracts - it's a principle audit requirement for full disclosure - therefore if THFC plc were not comfortable or in agreement, then you'd question why they signed it off?

Not trying to impart any pearls of wisdom, I just happen to know that spurs were hit with several instances of unexpected, unwelcome and complex fees incurred when acquiring players. Certain fees were charged after the club believed deals to have completed. Many of the deals done over the last few years were for targets involved with the same management /agencies and several cases of dispute went through the courts. Thfc 's budget has been stretched and we made several huge deals financially where the fees reported were very small

Not trying to impart any pearls of wisdom, I just happen to know that spurs were hit with several instances of unexpected, unwelcome and complex fees incurred when acquiring players. Certain fees were charged after the club believed deals to have completed. Many of the deals done over the last few years were for targets involved with the same management /agencies and several cases of dispute went through the courts. Thfc 's budget has been stretched and we made several huge deals financially where the fees reported were very small

Which ones?

'Unfortunately, I can't disclose ANYTHING as it will get back to my Mrs.'

It is interesting, definitely the type of thing that Spurs would look to keep out of the public domain though.

Whilst it is nice to know there was more money, being told it's already been spent isn't great..

I think that's partly due to the fact we are bring in quality rather than quantity. In years gone by we used to stock up on all sorts of players, where as now like the top teams they usually only add 2/3 top quality players. Sig and Verts are both quality additions who will strengthen the starting line up, lets hope our striker signing(s) will do the same.....

I agree and happy to cut a bit of slack.

I felt we needed three or four quality first teamers - a GK, a defender, and two strikers. We got a midfielder in addition and if that used up the resources for two strikers then thats a bit of poor judgement as our weak areas was up front and in defence.

Strikers are a rare breed though and if anyone is available usually three or four clubs are demanding him... which makes it difficult for us.

I am sure the non qualification of CL has also had an adverse impact on our transfer ambitions.

Back