• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bale and Affelay as the starters, lennon as back up to both....imo

This. Whoever we buy, we should be looking improve the first 11. No team goes out trying to buy good back-up players... What's the first thing Afellay would say when you tell him you want him to challenge with Bale and Lennon for a place? He'll just say sod that i'll go to Lazio or Dortmund etc..

Any player that has options will go somewhere where he's being made to fell like he'll be an important signing and we'll be integral. No one would swap one bench for potentially another!!

I agree, could still come good of course, but wouldn't be top of my wish list.

I also agree that having some kind of physical edge is a massive advantage in the Premier League. Taller, stronger or faster, preferably more than one, but at least one just helps carve out those extra chances that again get those extra couple of goals. Not that there aren't exceptions of course, but the amount of strikers that fail massively outnumber those that succeed when the players lack all three of those imo.

Crouch being tall didn't help much neither with Zigic

Crouch being tall didn't help much neither with Zigic

First off I didn't say that all players that have a physical edge of some kind succeed, such a statement would be absolutely ridiculous and seeing as I'm not a complete idiot I didn't say that.

Secondly, do you think Crouch would have had the career he's had so far, playing for both Liverpool and Spurs in the Champions League while getting a fairly substantial amount of games for England if he was of an average height, but all his other qualities were unchanged? All other technical and physical aspects just the same, but as tall as Darren Bent? Would he even have made it to the Premier League?

Isn't it amazing that Villa need a boss and you have Rodgers, Martinez and Lambert as the three up-and-coming managers...and Villa plump for Lambert? The only one of the three who plays Route 1 football and, of the three, the most dour, low-key character.

Now don't get me wrong - Lambert has done an ace, ace job. Fair play to him and of the three he might be the big talent. But he's by far the most (how shall we say?) austere, utilitarian of the three. A weirdly appropriate choice for Villa, and yet at the same time a missed opportunity to change the mood music around the club which I think the other two would do and I think is the thing Villa need more than anything.

Why would Lambert want to go to Villa? Norwich just seem by far a more attractive, ambitious club with more potential than Villa at the moment. Think Lambert would be crazy to move.

wow the early transfers have really been significant transfers... hazard, kagawa, rogers..with chelsea and pool looking like they can really improve, i'm bracing myself for a long season ahead. Levy are you watching!

I don't think Villa had a choice of the three though.

My take is that if they'd moved early enough and with enough conviction they could have got one of the other two. They are still a big club and if they had any balls about them they'd have been brave and moved hard, and maybe had their pick.

Back