• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Exactly. He has been a great servant but there are better and fitter players out there. Vertonghen is one of them, also Kaboul is getting better and better and we have Dawson, although he obviously does not have the attributes King had/has. We probably need another top defender when you come to think of it.

Long live the King

he's done exceptionally well considering the fact that he doesn't train. superhuman, even, considering that we're talking top level competitive football. but he can and has been on the wrong slide of the hill, and we need to push on and look for the new King.

i hear you, but he is our King. we live or die by him......Long Live the King.

but seriously, i would rather have king every other game than 90% of the Cb's out there..including verty.

There was a time I would have agreed with you 100% but not King in his more recent displays. Always a legend but I would not want to have rely on King heavily next season after what I saw this season

King was as good as anyone for the 1st half of the season but he had a bad knock in training, according to Harry, and seemed to loose all of his mobility almost over night. He played through the injury but was pretty bad in fairness. I believe though he is going for a clean-up operation on his knee this summer so it just might bring him back to an acceptable level of playing. Maybe enough for 5th in the pecking order with some coaching responsibilities too.

'Our talking point this morning is George Best, his liver transplant and the booze culture in football. Don’t forget, the best caller wins a crate of John Smith’s.'

'One moment I'm playing football and the next – whack – I wake up in hospital unconscious.'

'He held his head in his hands as it flashed past the post.'

'The tackles are coming in thick and thin'.

'Roy Keane, his face punches the air...'

Alan Brazil: "I was sad to hear yesterday about the death of Inspector Morse, TV's John Shaw." Mike Parry: "John Thaw, Alan." Alan Brazil: "Do you know, I've been doing that all morning. John, if you're listening, sorry mate."

"The man is United – cut him and he bleeds red". His evaluation on Sir Alex Ferguson.

"Villa have had a complete reservation of fortunes." After Martin O'Neill took over as manager of Aston Villa.

Brazil: "Will Hansie be doing any commentaries for us during the World Cup?"
Cricket man: "Well not unless he's going to be doing them from the grave, Alan."

"...the Derby fans walking home absolutely silent in their cars."

I see ITK saying we are going to sign Ade and put him on 120k. I like Ade but that is a lot of wonga and it would signal a moving of the goal posts in the wages department.

We should be able to sign someone better than Ade, never have I seen such a waster i front of goal. The guy cant finish of chances.. it's unreal. I know he offers a lot with his general play, but that is not enough IMO.

We should be able to sign someone better than Ade, never have I seen such a waster i front of goal. The guy cant finish of chances.. it's unreal. I know he offers a lot with his general play, but that is not enough IMO.

not enough? How many assists did he get?

There must be a balance, i think in Ade we found it last season. There are not many better strikers out there who want to come to us at the moment. He contributed to 30 (?) ish goals last season, that is of far more importance to the team than just being able to finish chances.

Granted, i would be all for a Striker who could finish the opportunities that would be created for him by this team, however good strikers are few and far between, and mostly out of our budget.

I see ITK saying we are going to sign Ade and put him on 120k. I like Ade but that is a lot of wonga and it would signal a moving of the goal posts in the wages department.

i can only assume that if this is happening we are being taken over? Levy and Co would surely not have this?

All this talk of 1st of July being the "big day" got me wondering what was special about it, then it struck me the financial year end for THFC as a company is 30th June. Anything they announce on the 1st will be in the 2013 accounts, its also a perfect point at which to start with new owners.

All this talk of 1st of July being the "big day" got me wondering what was special about it, then it struck me the financial year end for THFC as a company is 30th June. Anything they announce on the 1st will be in the 2013 accounts, its also a perfect point at which to start with new owners.

I can't see sunday being this big day. Levy wont make a big announcement a few hours before the biggest game of the football season. If there is to be this huge announcement it will be on monday.

To be fair, ITK's know nine tenths of fudge all about how much each player is being paid.

But if we do sign Ade and even if the £120K per week figure is accurate, it might still be a reasonable deal for Spurs.

Ade is in the final year of his contract at City, I believe. Therefore, we will be able to get him relatively cheaply - far cheaper than any other striker of comparable ability.

Let's say that we have to pay £10 million for him and that we would have to have paid £20 million for any other, comparable striker. Let's assume we sign him on a four year contract. The £10 million we have saved in transfer fees would amount to about £50K per week. And I doubt that we would be able to sign a £20 million striker on anything less than £70 per week.

So all in all, we'd be no worse off.

To be fair, ITK's know nine tenths of fudge all about how much each player is being paid.

But if we do sign Ade and even if the £120K per week figure is accurate, it might still be a reasonable deal for Spurs.

Ade is in the final year of his contract at City, I believe. Therefore, we will be able to get him relatively cheaply - far cheaper than any other striker of comparable ability.

Let's say that we have to pay £10 million for him and that we would have to have paid £20 million for any other, comparable striker. Let's assume we sign him on a four year contract. The £10 million we have saved in transfer fees would amount to about £50K per week. And I doubt that we would be able to sign a £20 million striker on anything less than £70 per week.

So all in all, we'd be no worse off.

hmmm, thats £280 a month. Not a great salary.

not enough? How many assists did he get?

There must be a balance, i think in Ade we found it last season. There are not many better strikers out there who want to come to us at the moment. He contributed to 30 (?) ish goals last season, that is of far more importance to the team than just being able to finish chances.

Granted, i would be all for a Striker who could finish the opportunities that would be created for him by this team, however good strikers are few and far between, and mostly out of our budget.

I find it very disingenuous to focus on Ade's assists as opposed to his low conversion rate. Sure he creates chances but we have loads of chances created by other Modric, Bale, Lennon, VDV etc, our problem is converting the chances. We made loads of chances for Ade but he continued to fluff his lines in front of goal. It is essential me buy someone that can score goals because we have players that will always make chances

As for these strikers being out of our budget there always seems to be teams around Europe that seem to be able to identify strikers that are not big names but can score goals, heck just look what a middle of the table team like Everton after dumping Saha on us. I will not even start the whole Saudi Sportswashing Machine striker debate again. And what about us offering £40m for all those top strikers in Jan 2011? Considering we have not bough a striker for 3 years we should have some money to get some quality in this time

Back