• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The thing is, the players Saudi Sportswashing Machine have signed were hardly found playing in the Slovakian 4th division. Tiote, Cabaye, Santon, Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse etc, the only one there I wasn't aware of before they signed him was Tiote, just they're willing to scout for good players and take a punt on them, much like we used to. Nowadays we either target completely unrealistic options or complete tat.

It really doesn't matter how good a scout we have you also have to have a chairman who is willing to take a risk on the players that scout finds. Everyone bangs on about these Saudi Sportswashing Machine signings as if they were complete unknowns cabaye had just won the league in France season before last cisse was second highest goal scorer in bundesliga Ben arfa was well known just low on confidence and they took a gamble, it's not so much finding these players as much as having the balls to buy them

not just the chairman, more importantly the manager. Managers have lots of names thrown at them, its the ones they choose and take a risk on that count...Pardew deserves credit in these cases above

Both Jenas and Dean Parrett could potentially fill AVBs right central midfielder role,
that he used runners in who could overload the right side where Hulk moved inwards and the midfielder ran into the opening he left behind.
Depends on what's left in Jenas' legs though. It's not always necessary with 11 world class players full of talent to make a strong team.
Certainly could see AVB using someone like Jenas for the first season in charge, allowing him to focus the money available on more needed parts of the team
- like the playmaker role Modric will leave behind, and the striker position.

AVB likes players who can pass the ball and quickly. Jenas dallies on the ball

And as for Parrett, are you serious?!? This guy has struggled when out on loan at div 1 clubs!

The thing is, the players Saudi Sportswashing Machine have signed were hardly found playing in the Slovakian 4th division. Tiote, Cabaye, Santon, Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse etc, the only one there I wasn't aware of before they signed him was Tiote, just they're willing to scout for good players and take a punt on them, much like we used to. Nowadays we either target completely unrealistic options or complete tat.

Think a lot of this is we need to get better players than we already have, this is harder than improvign on a load of average players.

Out of that list it is really only the strikers that are a marked improvenment and these are the ones that have been successful, we were able to deploy the similar scatter gun when we only had to improve on dross.

And as for Parrett, are you serious?!? This guy has struggled when out on loan at div 1 clubs!

so did Livermore (championship infact), just saying.

Well said rusx.

Think it will be unrealistic to expect us to sign better player than we've had recently as well,
our financial situation do determine what kind of players we can sign and where "our place" in the table is these days.
Key will be to find similiar quality young players that can take the step up at our club, to what we've had in recent years.
Combination of luck and good scouting will decide if we can keep things up, guaranteed success is closer tied to our financial growth sadly - that's modern football.

Well said rusx.

Think it will be unrealistic to expect us to sign better player than we've had recently as well,
our financial situation do determine what kind of players we can sign and where "our place" in the table is these days.
Key will be to find similiar quality young players that can take the step up at our club, to what we've had in recent years.
Combination of luck and good scouting will decide if we can keep things up, guaranteed success is closer tied to our financial growth sadly - that's modern football.

FOr me this is the main reason Redknapp was given the boot. I do not expect anyone to improve on Redknapp now however Redknapp only worries about the present. A new man can do as well as Redknapp and have us in a better position in 3 years time.

Jenas isn't perfect, but he has some qualities that can make him a useful player again. I'd prefer a sale and some money back though to be honest.

As Mumorn has already said, Livermore struggled out on loan, and was considered a bit of a joke at some places.
No automatic that the way a player perform out on loan is representative of his quality level or how he'd do at Tottenham.
Lots of other stuff can have impact on a youngster out on loan -- just to mention living alone in a hotel room, a lower level manager that play long ball above your head for a skillful Spurs trained academy boy. Tom Carroll also struggled out on loan last season at Derby, got dropped as they could see they were more likely to pick up points with a lesser talented but more senior midfielder in their midst.

I'm not saying Dean Parrett will succeed, that I do not know. But he has potential and I've been very impressed every time i've seen him at youth level for England.
Players do take steps forward as they age.

also we tend to produce a glut of very slight but talented passers of the ball. At those tender ages surely its obvious they are going to struggle to a degree in the Blood and Thunder of the lower leagues. They are young and learning and surrounded by players who to a high degree just want to kick and rush. They can get out muscled from a game.

But put them in a higher league, where it is more about passing and possesion and they can flourish. Or in a system or team that has that as their ethos and they can flourish too. Caulker is a good example of that. They need to go to the right team to learn, not just any team.

A lot of the Man Yoo Youngsters dont pull up many trees at the lower level, but they get in the first team and are on a decent level. That said, a lot of them eventually leave to go to other teams and look pretty average.

FOr me this is the main reason Redknapp was given the boot. I do not expect anyone to improve on Redknapp now however Redknapp only worries about the present. A new man can do as well as Redknapp and have us in a better position in 3 years time.

whoever comes in i dont expect him to lead Spurs into the top 4 next season....but like you i expect to be in a better position in 2 or 3 years time, so its a case of one step back now in order to take two steps forward in the future i guess

whoever comes in i dont expect him to lead Spurs into the top 4 next season....but like you i expect to be in a better position in 2 or 3 years time, so its a case of one step back now in order to take two steps forward in the future i guess

if this happens i would be very dissappointed, the Manager needs to come in an excel in my eyes, for starters without CL again next year, this would certainly make the players want to go elsewhere

Breaking News: Jan Vertonghen signing will be announced later today or early tomorrow(My sources at The Lane)@2theLaneandBack #THFC" -- Daniel Gardiner (@Gards44)

Yes then the players they brought in that have developed and pushed us back into the top 4 all want to leave for bigger clubs, and so round we go again

Yes then the players they brought in that have developed and pushed us back into the top 4 all want to leave for bigger clubs, and so round we go again

thats the position we are in, we are a club that in the food chain will always get picked off by bigger and richer clubs than us. Until the new stadium is built and revenue increases, we cannot do anything about it.

also we tend to produce a glut of very slight but talented passers of the ball. At those tender ages surely its obvious they are going to struggle to a degree in the Blood and Thunder of the lower leagues. They are young and learning and surrounded by players who to a high degree just want to kick and rush. They can get out muscled from a game.

But put them in a higher league, where it is more about passing and possesion and they can flourish. Or in a system or team that has that as their ethos and they can flourish too. Caulker is a good example of that. They need to go to the right team to learn, not just any team.

I hear comments like this all the time however name these players? Since rSol came through the system, the only ones are:
- Jamie O'Hara: technically not a Spurs product and now playing in the championship which is probably more high level and
- Caulker: one season at Swansea, albeit a very promising one, but still has a lot to prove - he's not a PL player yet

I'm not sure I see this 'glut' which you speak of

if this happens i would be very dissappointed, the Manager needs to come in an excel in my eyes, for starters without CL again next year, this would certainly make the players want to go elsewhere

that would have also been the case had we not got top 4 with Redknapp - and in that instance, hypothetically, would you have been confident of rebuilding with him at the helm ? i guess this may have had some baring on Levy's decision - we aren't a club that can guarantee top 4 year in year out so possibly the need to rebuild will arrive when our 'stars' eventually get sold in a season or two once Chelsea get back to their best (and possibly Liverpool too) - so maybe getting a manager in now and giving him a head start is a good thing ? (in this respect)

Last edited:
Anyone see Mido's interview upon signing for Barnsley? Says tottenham are his favourite club in England :)

Back