• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer Transfer Strategy

1. Which positions are top priority to strengthen and in what order?
Striker as we have now cover or variety
Centre mid as we again have no like for like cover of any quality (although I feel the abuse and criticism Mason is getting is unreal)
Attacking Mid to replace Chadli who will leave IMO

2. Which players in particular would fit the mould of what you're looking for?
Not sure about the perfect striker but I think Berahino would compliment our game and may Batshuiyi
Midfield wise the player I'd love is Kouyate but they won't sell to us - again not sure who else but maybe Wanyama can be the man
Attacking mid could easily be Pritchard stepping up buy who knows.
3. Who from the current squad needs to be actively flogged?
Fazio, Yedlin, Chadli and one of Carroll/Mason/Bentelab
4. Are there any other players who you'd listen to offers for in order to finance more important signings - given that we're likely to still have a low net spend until we move into the new stadium despite additional Champions League and TV revenue?
Not yet

This is not exactly 'news' but Poch apparently went berserk after the game. I think we can safely assume that there will be a few who get booted. I do not think we will see a performance/result even close to this again under him.

Btw I really like Ryan Mason but I feel he is a box - box midfielder rather than a defensive one and in that respect his role has been spectacularly usurped by Delle Alli.

Surprised at the willingness to sell Eriksen. Yes he is frustrating, you feel like he could score more. But he provides a Modric level of influence on our game. He continually keeps the ball moving, picks sublime passes, has amazing technical ability and can score (albeit he should probably get a few more, he is capable). We'd be crazy to let him go imo.

Lots of decent PL players: Wijnaldum, Ibe at Pool, Jonathan Leko (17 yo at wbrom), Drinkwater. I am sure the club have a long list of talent, it must be a case of who is available at the right price.

A Dimitri Payet like player is probably what we need in attack. Someone older with a cool head, and bags of skill. At the back we have experience, Dembele provides some in midfield, but up front we'd benefit from one older player.

Surprised at the willingness to sell Eriksen. Yes he is frustrating, you feel like he could score more. But he provides a Modric level of influence on our game. He continually keeps the ball moving, picks sublime passes, has amazing technical ability and can score (albeit he should probably get a few more, he is capable). We'd be crazy to let him go imo.

I don't see the parallels between Modric and Eriksen at all

Modric was the heartbeat of the side - he drove everything.

Eriksen is a tidy player who is pleasing on the eye, but he's peripheral in the big matches and lacks both the ability to impose himself on games and that real creative spark. IMO he's the weakest link/most easily upgraded upon in our starting 11

Eriksen is a tidy player who is pleasing on the eye, but he's peripheral in the big matches and lacks both the ability to impose himself on games and that real creative spark. IMO he's the weakest link/most easily upgraded upon in our starting 11
It's funny because I disagree. I think he is perhaps the most important player of all our attacking midfielders and would be amongst the hardest to upgrade in our starting 11....

Also GB to take up your earlier point about 6 in and 10 out leading to instability and mediocrity.... Last season we signed Alderweireld, Alli, Wimmer, Son, Trippier, and N’jie. That is 6 players and those 6 players (probably in order of importance) helped us move from 5th to a 3rd. While I don't think it is essential that we sign as many as 6 players again, I would be disappointed if we don't bring in 4 and devastated if we don't bring in 3.

None of Kane, Alderweireld, Alli, Eriksen, Dembele or Dier have competition in the squad. It doesn't mean we need a signing to give each and every one of them competition as theoretically Alli could drop back into Dembele's role or Dier could drop back into Toby's etc.... but to do that it means moving them from their usual position. However IMO in the current squad there simply isn't another player who is capable of playing the same way as any of Kane, Dier or Eriksen. Getting competition for each of those three positions is therefore absolutely vital if we want to continue to progress.

Last edited:

I disagree, he's got it in spades, he's just not doing it.

He reminds me of pre 2015/16 Dembele, its bloody obvious what he's capable of, he just needs to realise it.

I disagree, he's got it in spades, he's just not doing it.

He reminds me of pre 2015/16 Dembele, its bloody obvious what he's capable of, he just needs to realise it.
Again, I disagree. He runs harder than any other player in our team and I think he still has more assists than any other player in our team. If we free'd him up from some of his defensive responsiblities (like Ozil is for Arsenal) then I think that he would've provided more assists and goals than Ozil did. If we're looking at problems within the Spurs team/squad then Eriksen is a long, long way down the list.... In fact none of the 'first choice' team are a problem at all, they are all fantastic players. The problem comes when most of them have to be replaced. Consider the following as our first choice team with their cover player in brackets:

Lloris (Vorm)
Walker (Trippier)
Rose (Davies)
Alderweireld (Carter-Vickers)
Vertonghen (Wimmer)
Dier (Bentaleb)
Demebele (Mason)
Lamela (Son)
Alli (Onomah)
Eriksen (Chadli)
Kane (N’Jie)

All of those in bold do not provide adequate cover for the player they replace.

Again, I disagree. He runs harder than any other player in our team and I think he still has more assists than any other player in our team. If we free'd him up from some of his defensive responsiblities (like Ozil is for Arsenal) then I think that he would've provided more assists and goals than Ozil did. If we're looking at problems within the Spurs team/squad then Eriksen is a long, long way down the list.... In fact none of the 'first choice' team are a problem at all, they are all fantastic players. The problem comes when most of them have to be replaced. Consider the following as our first choice team with their cover player in brackets:

Lloris (Vorm)
Walker (Trippier)
Rose (Davies)
Vertonghen (Wimmer)
Dier (Bentaleb)
Demebele (Mason)
Lamela (Son)
Alli (Onomah)
Eriksen (Chadli)
Kane (N’Jie)

I'm not saying he's "a problem", i'm saying he's half the player he could be and its solely a matter of application.

I'm not saying he's "a problem", i'm saying he's half the player he could be and its solely a matter of application.
Again I disagree.... I don't think it is anything to do with application. Eriksen covers more ground than any other player in our team. His workrate is unquestionable. The role that he has involves a huge amount of running. He has to provide attacking threat but also cover runs from the opposition's right back when the opposition turn over the ball. Despite this he has 6 goals and 13 assists in the PL.

If we freed Eriksen up from that running and defensive responsibility then he could remain in more attacking positions, just as Ozil does for Arsenal, then we would see a similar output in terms of goals and assists for Eriksen (probably even better seeing as Eriksen has the same number of goals as Ozil and is only 3 assists behind him) as he could just remain in an attacking position ready to receive the ball. This was the way that Chadli used to play - he would ignore his fullback's forays forward and then be in a great position to attack if we turned over the ball. However for us to free up Eriksen in this way we would either have to not play Alli at all or ensure that Alli puts a much bigger shift in defensively. Or accept that we would be extremely susceptible to the opposition looking to overload us on our left hand side.

I honestly cannot think of a better player that we could get to perform Eriksen's role in our team. I'm actually struggling to think of a better player in that role full stop, let alone one that we could hope to attract.

Last edited:
The question for me is now who will stay?

Other than Kane, Rose and Alli but for different reasons. No one should be bulletproof.

It saddens me to say it but the performances in May have relegation standard.

Sitting here today I shudder to think what next season will bring.
Such a waste of all that effort. "Spurs will only get better" was the media cry.......my arse!

Poch is lucky he signed that contract when he did. If Levy had waited a week he might have had second thoughts.

I really believe as much a Leicester shocked in their stellar rise to the top, we could be making similar headlines but going in a different direction.

Other than Kane, Rose and Alli but for different reasons. No one should be bulletproof.

Such a waste of all that effort. "Spurs will only get better" was the media cry.......my arse!

Poch is lucky he signed that contract when he did. If Levy had waited a week he might have had second thoughts.

I really believe as much a Leicester shocked in their stellar rise to the top, we could be making similar headlines but going in a different direction.

wow really?

Lloris (Vorm)
Walker (Trippier)
Rose (Davies)
Vertonghen (Wimmer)
Dier (Bentaleb)
Demebele (Mason)
Lamela (Son)
Alli (Onomah)
Eriksen (Chadli)
Kane (N’Jie)

Agree about Eriksen. Modric came into his own around 24 - the age Eriksen is now - and left for Madrid at 26. Eriksen can be better than Modric imo, simply as he can score (yes they play different roles and are very different).

Looking at that squad list, it may not be too hard to upgrade the squad, but upgrading the first team will be a challenge. Who would you replace? Yet to really upgrade the squad, we need to sign players who can push for a first team role. If we do manage to sign some talented players who are first team calibre, we might see more rotation next season, as Poch did with the full backs this season.

Last edited:

What a ridiculous knee jerk reaction.... Who should stay?

At an absolute minimum Lloris, Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Lamela, Alli, Eriksen and Kane. Our first choice team is bloody brilliant, good individually and even better as a team. After those Trippier, Davies, Wimmer, Bentaleb and Son should all remain and be a valuable part of the squad. One would probably have to also keep N'Jie (simply because I don't think it is fair to judge him yet).

So then. Now it begins. Questions to be answered:

1. Which positions are top priority to strengthen and in what order? Midfield / Striker
2. Which players in particular would fit the mould of what you're looking for? Sissoko / Zlatan or Saido
3. Who from the current squad needs to be actively flogged? Mason / Carroll / Vorm / Fazio
4. Are there any other players who you'd listen to offers for in order to finance more important signings - given that we're likely to still have a low net spend until we move into the new stadium despite additional Champions League and TV revenue? Walker / Davies / Vertonghen / Chadli / Njie / Yedlin

Is that what you really believe, or is it a hangover/shock reaction from Sunday?

I think Poch has proven already that no one is bulletproof, and his post match comments on Sunday certainly indicated he was not happy with some. However I would hope that whatever decisions he makes will be in the cold light of day, not based on one bad (very bad by all accounts - I haven't watched it) game. I don't think we need any drastic clear-out at all, as long as Poch is convinced the players have the right mindset. A few key incomings, and some outgoings that will be needed to make room/upgrade to required standard, should suffice to stand us in good stead for next season.

Certainly results DDLL were not what we needed, obviously. Peformances? Against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, clearly not good enough and not acceptable. Soton? Not great, 2nd half worse than 1st. Chelsea? Good 1st half performance, 2nd half OK until they equalised and we went for them. WBA? Good first half, we let them into the game 2nd half.
Fair to say once the title was clearly out of reach, we dropped off. Whether it was through mental fatigue, acceptance of getting CL, having one eye on the Euros, being on holiday - who knows. Maybe a mixture of all the above across the whole team.

Next season will hopefully bring more of what this season did, but without the disappointing ending. I don't necessarily mean chasing the title, although that would be great, but more with additions to the squad, improvements in our play, our ability to hold onto winning positions and close out games. Hopefully a decent CL showing, maybe a bit of domestic silverware, and competing for a top 4 spot. That is all something I can look forward to (and I mean in the sense of looking forward to us trying, not in a sense of expectation that all will happen. The thought of next season does not make me shudder at all.

Such a waste of all that effort.
How can securing our highest PL finish, and securing CL proper be a waste of effort? It is a great reward for great effort across the whole season. How can the experience of being the only team to even come close to overtaking Leicester be a waste of effort? And even in the disappointing ending, there are lessons that can and will be learned, and used to good effect in the future.

"Spurs will only get better" was the media cry.......my arse!

Spurs WILL only get better. I am confident of that.
I sense our competitors and rivals are confident of that too.

I trust Levy not to base such a big decision on one game.

Having got this far, it has just struck me that maybe you were being ironic, taking the p*ss out of some of the over the top reaction? If you were, then red face for me.
If you weren't, well, you've always come across as a long-standing and loyal fan of the club, so hopefully once we get into the summer business, and the season start,s you will see some of your faith restored.

Back