• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer Transfer Aims

Quite a few decisions to be made on existing players first. Sissoko, GKN, Wimmer, Janssen... What roles are thought for Onomah and Edwards. What will happen with Walker? Others who might want to leave? If Walker leaves a decision to be made on Trippier, is he good enough to be first choice or not?
You can add can we count on Lamela to that list.

Here's my dream summer, assuming we don't sell Walker. If we do, insert some right good right back in his place.

IN:
Sessegnon / 12 mil
Lemar / 25 mil

OUT:
Sissoko / 15 mil
N'jie / 7 mil
Wimmer / 5 mil (don't want to sell him, but I think it's inevitable)

GOALKEEPER

LLORIS, Vorm

WING BACKS

RB: WALKER, Trips, KWP
LB: ROSE, Davies, Sessegnon

CENTRAL DEFENCE (3)

CB: TOBY, DIER, JAN, Davies, CCV

MIDFIELD (2)

CM: DEMBELE, WANYAMA, Winks, Onomah

ATTACKING MIDFIELD (2)

AM: ERIKSEN, DELE, Son, Lamar, Lamela, N'Koudou, Edwards

STRIKER (1)

KANE, Janssen

To me, that is almost the perfect squad. We have cover everywhere and Poch should basically have a fully-stocked bench almost every game with at least a few game-changing attackers always at his disposal. I also think there's enough room in there for young players like Winks, Onomah, and CCV to develop, and it should promise that we keep a well-settled squad.

EDIT: Looking back at it, you could argue that Janssen is the only one we might not want to rely on should Kane get a long-term injury. But if Poch believes in him enough to keep him around for one more season, I'd be more than happy with it.

Am I the only one who would be happy to see no changes to the squad at all???

I really dont see many players that are better than we have... and those that are would be IMO un gettabke without upsetting the apple cart

Im much more interested in signing someone like Sessegnon that buying a proven player. The Turkish lad is another that is potentially anything but most importantly would relish the step up to the big time (rather than the pay day)

That's to me the way we should go

For the most part, I am happy with the squad. I look forward to seeing how Janssen will turn out in his second year. I will be delighted to see Rose and Lamela back from injury and hopefully fit to go from the start.

My changes
+ Strengthen the creative side of the team. Everytime I read injury news for Spurs - I was always worried about Eriksen going down with injury.
+ Get in someone to help with the tactical side in Europe. Our performances in Europe are concerning. We struggle against most sides we have played in Europe.

I really dont see many players that are better than we have... and those that are would be IMO un gettabke without upsetting the apple cart

Im much more interested in signing someone like Sessegnon that buying a proven player. The Turkish lad is another that is potentially anything but most importantly would relish the step up to the big time (rather than the pay day)

We need to replace Sissoko with a 6th AM. Even with Lamela coming back and GKN hopefully progressing, we need one more option there. Unless Onomah and/or Edwards are considered properly ready

But no - one in would be ideal IMO. We've had the revolution, now all we need is a tiny tweak and a whole heap of stability.

We need to replace Sissoko with a 6th AM. Even with Lamela coming back and GKN hopefully progressing, we need one more option there. Unless Onomah and/or Edwards are considered properly ready

But no - one in would be ideal IMO. We've had the revolution, now all we need is a tiny tweak and a whole heap of stability.
No-one in could seem ideal, but could also act as a sleeping pillow. It can lead to things being a bit too comfortable and friendly. A couple of new boys in could/will spark further competition, and drive to the squad. I wouldn't want a totally unchanged squad.

No-one in could seem ideal, but could also act as a sleeping pillow. It can lead to things being a bit too comfortable and friendly. A couple of new boys in could/will spark further competition, and drive to the squad. I wouldn't want a totally unchanged squad.

We have a truly great balance at the moment and that's shown with our finish in the league.... but we have had a plague of injuries in comparison to our peers at the top of the league so that's a massive reflection on the genuine capability and quality of the squad

Anyone coming in needs to be a developer or a first 11 player IMO and that's such a hard thing to get right

We have a truly great balance at the moment and that's shown with our finish in the league.... but we have had a plague of injuries in comparison to our peers at the top of the league so that's a massive reflection on the genuine capability and quality of the squad

Anyone coming in needs to be a developer or a first 11 player IMO and that's such a hard thing to get right

All our rivals will be playing in Europe next season. 2 of the top 4 didn't have that this year

Here's my dream summer, assuming we don't sell Walker. If we do, insert some right good right back in his place.

IN:
Sessegnon / 12 mil
Lemar / 25 mil

OUT:
Sissoko / 15 mil
N'jie / 7 mil
Wimmer / 5 mil (don't want to sell him, but I think it's inevitable)

GOALKEEPER

LLORIS, Vorm

WING BACKS

RB: WALKER, Trips, KWP
LB: ROSE, Davies, Sessegnon

CENTRAL DEFENCE (3)

CB: TOBY, DIER, JAN, Davies, CCV

MIDFIELD (2)

CM: DEMBELE, WANYAMA, Winks, Onomah

ATTACKING MIDFIELD (2)

AM: ERIKSEN, DELE, Son, Lamar, Lamela, N'Koudou, Edwards

STRIKER (1)

KANE, Janssen

To me, that is almost the perfect squad. We have cover everywhere and Poch should basically have a fully-stocked bench almost every game with at least a few game-changing attackers always at his disposal. I also think there's enough room in there for young players like Winks, Onomah, and CCV to develop, and it should promise that we keep a well-settled squad.

EDIT: Looking back at it, you could argue that Janssen is the only one we might not want to rely on should Kane get a long-term injury. But if Poch believes in him enough to keep him around for one more season, I'd be more than happy with it.
Regarding a possible extra option up front, I wonder whether it would be worth having a relatively inexpensive punt on Sandro Ramirez now that he has had a season where he has proven that he can score goals? Failing that I would love to see us kill the proverbial two birds with one stone and make a serious effort to get Martial from Man Utd. I think he is unsuited to Mourinho's system but could be an asset for us across a wide number of positions. He would be able to play as the 9, 11, or 7 for us and could probably even play the Alli role at number 10.

I really don't feel we need too much to put another title challenge together. We had both the best attacking and defensive record in the league. Ultimately it was our slow start to the campaign that cost us, having no International tournaments this summer should help us here. Hopefully we will also have a fit Eric Lamela next season to provide quality off the bench or, assuming good form, competition for a starting place. Of the players already at the club I think it is only Sissoko and Wimmer that we should let go. I then only would want 3 players to come in.

My dream summer would be:

Out: Sissoko, Wimmer and all of our existing players loaned out making their moves permanent.
In: Martial, Sessegnon, Macguire

That would probably mean a net spend of around 40 million which would seem unlikely. I guess the question here is whether Pochettino thinks that Walker-Peters is close to being ready for a proper role in the first team squad? If so then it may well be that the club will happily let Kyle Walker leave for a large sum of money, knowing that we are well covered with Trippier and KWP.

I half agree with you here in that we don't need to worry about bringing in many players. However it is worth remembering that last season we brought in 5 players and still improved considerably compared to the previous season. I don't think it would hurt us at all if we brought in 3 or 4 players, especially when you consider that almost any player that we bring in would only be getting into the squad as opposed to walking into our first team.

I agree with you on almost all of this, but I still think that Poch really wants a direct wide forward with power and pace who is in their prime — a Zaha or Mane type player. Basically, the player he wanted Sissoko to be. Like you, I'd like minimal changes, but I think they'll make a run at someone like Lemar, Douglas Costa, or Bruma... and I'm really hoping it's Lemar.

I half agree with you here in that we don't need to worry about bringing in many players. However it is worth remembering that last season we brought in 5 players and still improved considerably compared to the previous season. I don't think it would hurt us at all if we brought in 3 or 4 players, especially when you consider that almost any player that we bring in would only be getting into the squad as opposed to walking into our first team.

Only 1 of those 5 players played any serious role though. 2 others were almost not seen and 2 struggled in a handful of appearances. The lesson is to just find that 1 each time from now.

With Poch's 22 man squad, it will be 1 in 1 out. So we have to be pretty confident of upgrading before we let a good player go.

Even Wimmer I think we'll struggle to upgrade upon. If he doesn't actively want to go, there's no point needlessly moneyballing.

I think the 'lesson' if there is one, is to scout better players - I think those that haven't featured much would have done if they were a better fit/better players, rather than not featuring because they wasn't required

Only 1 of those 5 players played any serious role though. 2 others were almost not seen and 2 struggled in a handful of appearances. The lesson is to just find that 1 each time from now.

With Poch's 22 man squad, it will be 1 in 1 out. So we have to be pretty confident of upgrading before we let a good player go.

Even Wimmer I think we'll struggle to upgrade upon. If he doesn't actively want to go, there's no point needlessly moneyballing.
That is all well and good until you realise that two of this season's big successes were signings from the Summer before. Janssen or Nkoudou could be be next season's Son or Trippier. We improved when signing 5 last season and also when signing 5 the season before. I bet we sign another 3 or 4 players this summer too.

I would like us to keep most of the current squad and add a centreback and creative midfield player as our priorities, these players should be good enough to be in the first team not bench warmers. I would also like to see one for the future. I wont nominate who if any should leave as I would probably as accurate in my assessment as most of the other poster over the years have been.

I think it's good to rotate in / out 3 or 4 players each summer in general, just freshens the place up a bit.

Obviously the above rotation is based on common sense transfers out of players who didn't really feature for us and bringing in good fits (wanyama) and young potential (dele).

For me that's wimmer, nkoudou, sissoko out, with sessengon, Turk lad and probably a more "hit the ground running" player coming in, you could argue that player being lamela?

We need a backup for Eriksen. We don't have anyone else who can control the game in the final 3rd.

I know there are fitness doubts over the other Celtic Dembele but they don't seem to be affecting his performances too much.
Sessegnon, Dembele Mk II, Siggy and another CB if Wimmer leaves would be my list

Last edited:
Back