• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Im beginning to think the ship has sailed on that one harr.

They will want ridiculous money come what may, and while I agree he looks very talented, there comes a tipping point where you have to draw the line and look at alternatives.

And, of course, much depends on who else comes in too...

They will want ridiculous money come what may, and while I agree he looks very talented, there comes a tipping point where you have to draw the line and look at alternatives.

In a way I hope you're right - Ive seen him a fair bit, but he has never looked that good. Granted he has scored goals, but for the money being spoke about I expect a bit more - I dont think we should be paying that just because he's young. He also sounds genuinely committed to Fulham, Im not convinced he really wants to leave even if they dont go up and fair play to him. He doesnt need to rush into anything at 17.

On the flip side, he does have pace and would be nice to have a pacy wing back who can properly penetrate the wings again.....

I genuinely think the early finish of the transfer window is the best decision that has been made in football since the introduction of the backpass rule.
I would agree if it meant that clubs couldn't sell after this time - all those clubs lower in the pecking order will be crapping it in case a big club comes in and takes one of your players / unsettles them leaving you no chance for a replacement.

Dele has a great WC- RM forces the move after the window shuts or we get a sulking Dele
same for all clubs in England.

In a way I hope you're right - Ive seen him a fair bit, but he has never looked that good. Granted he has scored goals, but for the money being spoke about I expect a bit more - I dont think we should be paying that just because he's young. He also sounds genuinely committed to Fulham, Im not convinced he really wants to leave even if they dont go up and fair play to him. He doesnt need to rush into anything at 17.

On the flip side, he does have pace and would be nice to have a pacy wing back who can properly penetrate the wings again.....
How much more could he be worth if he has a decent year in the PL? - the numbers being thrown about cant be a lot more. Let him do it for a year and see if he is good - reduces the risk of flopping but increases the risk of him going elsewhere.

Look at Dembele at Celtic, spoken about in similar terms a few years ago.

If I was going to go balls deep for a England youth I have come around to Sancho - don't watch the German league but only heard good reports.

What Ive seen of him he has good pace, great movement, and fantastic calmness when on the ball.

Hence all those goals, coming in just at the right time and keeping a cool head.

Otherwise he has generally good technique, strikes the ball well etc.

All of which is really really promising for a player of only 17, I can certainly see why there is hype even if he doesnt seem an outrageous talent like Messi breaking through.

I would be delighted to sign him, I just think the ship has probably sailed on that one.

What Ive seen of him he has good pace, great movement, and fantastic calmness when on the ball.

Hence all those goals, coming in just at the right time and keeping a cool head.

Otherwise he has generally good technique, strikes the ball well etc.

All of which is really really promising for a player of only 17, I can certainly see why there is hype even if he doesnt seem an outrageous talent like Messi breaking through.

I would be delighted to sign him, I just think the ship has probably sailed on that one.
Yeah you're right, Im probably being too harsh because of the fee - he hasnt wowed me in any games but clearly has technique...

How much more could he be worth if he has a decent year in the PL? - the numbers being thrown about cant be a lot more. Let him do it for a year and see if he is good - reduces the risk of flopping but increases the risk of him going elsewhere.

Look at Dembele at Celtic, spoken about in similar terms a few years ago.

If I was going to go balls deep for a England youth I have come around to Sancho - don't watch the German league but only heard good reports.
I fear if he had a year in PL and succeeded the asking price would be even more out of our price range.

As for this Sancho guy, have only heard good things but cant say I know much about him...

My feeling is that he's our #1 summer target and we'll break the bank for him.

Like we did with Bale, Modric and Sanchez - in those cases we paid fees well above what anyone was expecting because we were so confident on the longer-term outcome

Its possible, but personally I think we have higher priorities.

Sessegnon, LB come WB come LWF, someone to come in and develop - or a top class CM to take our whole midfield up a notch?

Id be surprised if Sessegnon was the main aim of our window.

I fear if he had a year in PL and succeeded the asking price would be even more out of our price range.

As for this Sancho guy, have only heard good things but cant say I know much about him...

if they are talking about £50M+ now how much higher can it really go? I have no idea but surely there has to be a cap somewhere for someone so inexperienced.

I would agree if it meant that clubs couldn't sell after this time - all those clubs lower in the pecking order will be crapping it in case a big club comes in and takes one of your players / unsettles them leaving you no chance for a replacement.

Dele has a great WC- RM forces the move after the window shuts or we get a sulking Dele
same for all clubs in England.

Germany and France look like they are going to follow suit next season, and I'm sure Spain and Italy will follow into line too.

It's not difficult to just shut up shop and refuse to do business. The line to the player is simple too - "we can't get a replacement, sorry"

Sessegnon, LB come WB come LWF, someone to come in and develop - or a top class CM to take our whole midfield up a notch?

Definitely hope theyd prioritise that, a real top class player and a real statement of intent.

That being said Sess could be an important addition, I think its crucial we add that pace back to the wing back areas....

Germany and France look like they are going to follow suit next season, and I'm sure Spain and Italy will follow into line too.

It's not difficult to just shut up shop and refuse to do business. The line to the player is simple too - "we can't get a replacement, sorry"

If they follow suit or not is a little irrelevant if they have different start dates - Spain / Italy starts about two weeks after us so the issue persists.

Players are known for being reasonable - "you have a contract we wont let you go sorry" has worked so well. You will end up with players stopped from moving and throwing a fit.

I agree that doing what we are doing is 100% the least bad option - I guess after we leave the EU there is the option to shut the selling window at the start of the season as there will be no restriction on freedom of movement.

I think all windows should close in concert across all the leagues (at least in Europe), to suit which ever league starts first.

What is the worst thing that will happen? Some leagues will have a few last minute deals before the first game where as others will have a week or so with their players before gameweek 1?

Not a problem at all, imo.

Personally at this point in time I think there's maybe a 60% chance Dier-Dembele-Wanyama-Winks will be our CM quartet next season and a 20% chance Davies-Rose will be our LB duo. So for that reason I'd put LB as a higher priority.

I think Sessegnon is not really a left back, and certainly wouldnt settle on he/Davies as a pairing.

If we buy him itll be as a wing back/wide attacking player.

I also think, for the money quoted (and rising) we will soon be priced out of our interest in him.

For me a full back is easier to find than a top class CM, and I dont see Dembele being reliable for a full season. Nor do I think we can rely on Winks yet (he is unproven to be consistent and available).

Hence, for me, its much more key.

I think all windows should close in concert across all the leagues (at least in Europe), to suit which ever league starts first.

What is the worst thing that will happen? Some leagues will have a few last minute deals before the first game where as others will have a week or so with their players before gameweek 1?

Not a problem at all, imo.
I do too but I am guessing that Clubs in other countries will tell us to do one - the logical end point would be to ensure a set start date for the major leagues and use that, however we would expect all others to move to ours rather than us moving to theirs.

Id be open to changing the dates, its not precious to me.

I think a unified schedule across the major leagues would make massive sense. Would probably make it easier to bring in a winter break across the board as well.

Back