• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

IN ASSOCIATION WITHTOTTENHAM-FOOTBALL.LONDON
For all the latest Tottenham news like us on Facebook

Jack Grealish and Anthony Martial Spurs transfer updates: Sagas to be resolved on deadline day
As usual Spurs' transfer dealings are expected to continue into the window's final day

By
Alasdair GoldTottenham Hotspur Correspondent
  • 11:00, 8 AUG 2018
  • UPDATED11:08, 8 AUG 2018
Tottenham Hotspur fans are used to transfer deadline day activity and their club's move for Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish is expected to reach its conclusion in the window's final hours.

Spurs, who are the only Premier League club yet to conclude any transfer business, have chased the 22-year midfielder all summer but it appears that the success of his deal will come down to the final 24 hours of talks over his move.

Grealish is keen on the move to play under Mauricio Pochettino and experience Champions League football and Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce will not stand in his way if Spurs pay the Midlands club's valuation of the player.

However, it is that valuation that is still the sticking point after months of interest. Villa are looking for a fee of more than £30m but Tottenham are believed to have gone as far as £25m during their latest round of talks.

football.london understands that speculation that Grealish would undertake his medical with Tottenham on Wednesday are untrue and the move will likely been done on Thursday if the two clubs can come to a compromise.

Grealish fits in with Tottenham's desire to sign homegrown players this window to balance out a squad that has three more "non-locally trained" players than Champions League rules allow.

Bruce admitted this week that it was "difficult" for Villa to compete with a side like Spurs but that they would only accept a "huge, huge" fee for the midfielder.

Villa have been boosted by their recent investment which has helped with their day to day running costs, but the club are still believed to have a £50m deficit to fix by the time of their next financial fair play assessment in March and Grealish is their most valuable playing asset.

Tottenham are looking to make at least two signings before Thursday's 5pm deadline and the club are expected to make another late attempt for Manchester United's Anthony Martial - continuing to use Jose Mourinho's interest in Toby Alderweireld as leverage.

So far United have proved resistant to Tottenham's attempts to sign Martial, but with their other defensive options proving hard to secure, the Manchester club will have to decide whether to include the wantaway Frenchman in any deal or meet Tottenham's asking price which is closer to £60m for Alderweireld.

Spurs are not rushing to sell any of their players before the Premier League deadline, with the knowledge that much of the rest of Europe will still have another month to buy players, including various foreign fringe players such as Vincent Janssen and Georges-Kevin Nkoudou.

However, Pochettino is looking to have his squad ready and prepared to handle any expected departures during the first month of the Premier League season.

Academy players Josh Onomah - who Bruce is a big fan of, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Luke Amos and Kyle Walker-Peters could be retained over the coming weeks as part of that scenario with a decision on their short-term futures made before the Championship loan window closes on August 31.

They are after an older head in the middle to replace Yaya

Ticks a few boxes.

Wouldn’t sell, we have no one to replace him.

The way that he holds the ball, sucks players in, then moves past them is very City.

After that? He isnt the fittest, and thats only going to get worse. And his passing and vision are nothing like City standards, IMHO. On those basis Id be surprised.

That said, who knows? These odd moves happen occasionally.

I dont mind selling him, providing we balance the squad out. I think he is a declining presence, and is so unique we are probably better off adjusting for his loss on our own terms rather than hanging onto him and then having it catch us out.

The way that he holds the ball, sucks players in, then moves past them is very City.

After that? He isnt the fittest, and thats only going to get worse. And his passing and vision are nothing like City standards, IMHO. On those basis Id be surprised.

That said, who knows? These odd moves happen occasionally.

I dont mind selling him, providing we balance the squad out. I think he is a declining presence, and is so unique we are probably better off adjusting for his loss on our own terms rather than hanging onto him and then having it catch us out.

He would be taking the yaya role.

Few minutes to see out games/cup games/ Cardiff at home etc.

Depends if we have time to replace as you say.

But who would play in CM for first few weeks ?

Wouldn’t sell, we have no one to replace him.

Yeah. Even if we dip into the £40m-£60m bran tub tomorrow afternoon and pull out a young, high-potential CM who excites the cognoscenti, even if Dembele is no longer a starter, we will still have awkward games when we need him as a super-sub with the calmness, experience and physical authority to close down threats in midfield.

I think Bailey and Tah is pipe dream stuff, its not often you can pull of a double deal with a club for two of their best players.

NDombele? Who knows. Lyon want a lot of money, Ive no idea if we were that serious or what.

Lobotka is the one I think we might pull off - especially if Dembele goes. Reasonable release clause, should be fairly straight forward to pull off.

Just unfortunate this isn't the level of quality required then.

Was the back up option for the goons if they failed to pull off that great deal for the Uruguayan.

Sits somewhere in quality between the Uruguayan and Benjamin stambouli.

He would be taking the yaya role.

Few minutes to see out games/cup games/ Cardiff at home etc.

Depends if we have time to replace as you say.

But who would play in CM for first few weeks ?

First few weeks? Not sure. Most likely Sissoko/Dier/Eriksen something like that?

Although, of course, windows and squad building are about the longer term arent they?

Just unfortunate this isn't the level of quality required then.

Was the back up option for the goons if they failed to pull off that great deal for the Uruguayan.

Sits somewhere in quality between the Uruguayan and Benjamin stambouli.

Says who? You?

It seems very much like the sort of level of business we usually do, and so far I have no real complaints with it - so Id be quite happy to see how they went (if they came in).

He comes across like a complete tool.

Can’t believe he’s paid 3.5 million a year.

He really is and that is the opinion of most of the guys i know who had dealings with him. Not sure now but at one time he was the highest paid union official around.

When are winks and Wanyama back?

I dont know, havent been paying much attention!

Was of the impression neither were too long.

Though I have it in my head we could switch to a 4-3-3 this season, and an Alli-Dier-Eriksen midfield looks bloody good to my eye.

And that does assume we dont bring anyone in.

Back