• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Shaqiri, Grealish and hopefully the rest that follow shortly in themselves are irrelevant.
We are 14 or so days away from kick off with many first team players rightly still on the World Cup beach. We also have problems right across or midfield with Dire being the only defensively minded first team player available. So ATM Dembele cannot be sold, I would have thought with what we know transfer wise?
It feels as the club is looking muddled and slow this close to the start of the season, undercooked?
We have to weight and see of course what finally transpires with transfers. But you can’t be happy with the this continuing lack of coherent preparation for the new season.

As ever, we cant judge a window until it is complete.
As ever, as a club, we are like Fort Knox when it comes to leaks etc.
As ever, as a club, we seem to be targeted in the press, because lets be honest - its easy (given we just let them get on with it).
As ever, as fans, most are reaching the point where the press narrative all summer combined with our lack of movement yet has their heads exploded. Toys are being thrown, feet are being stamped.
As ever, to do so at this point is really quite foolish, and I expect plenty to feel quite silly about it once they have calmed down.

FACTS?

- We havent bought anyone yet. But would have liked to.
- We have made some major contract renewals though.
- We have 2 weeks to buy the 2 or 3 players we need.
- We have a team more than strong enough already to start the league.

So whats the fuss about now? Oh! Of Course! Liverpool bought Shakiri o_O

I think signings help boost the squad, when new players come in current players what to show their worth. I think its important we sign a couple of players. However no point signing anyone if they aren't better than what we have. We have been linked with the same names over the whole summer, I expect us to sign someone totally different.

As ever, as a club, we seem to be targeted in the press, because lets be honest - its easy (given we just let them get on with it).
As ever, as fans, most are reaching the point where the press narrative all summer combined with our lack of movement yet has their heads exploded. Toys are being thrown, feet are being stamped.
As ever, to do so at this point is really quite foolish, and I expect plenty to feel quite silly about it once they have calmed down.

FACTS?

I agree, should wait until window shuts to make real judgements...

I agree, should wait until window shuts to make real judgements...

Its the only point you have all the facts. Anything else seems silly.

At this point, am I happy? I would have liked a couple in, I think we all would, but Im not unhappy. Kane, Alli, Pochettino all signed up long term - Im fudging delighted with that. Moura looking like the player we all hoped? Delighted! Lamela fit to start the season? Absolutely chuffed! Young players looking promising, brilliant!

Its not been a bad summer at all, at this point.

Best to evaluate a window once it's closed and we can see what's happened with regards to ins and outs, imo

Right now im dissapointed we haven't done any deals in/out but as always what deals get done are of primary importance rather than the time it takes for them to happen- im sure Poch would rather get his first choices late than his second or third choices early, maybe not but that's what id prefer and think makes sense - obviously ideally we'd get our primary targets in at the beginning of the window.

I'm calling you out on this thread, we only where we are because of three quality players!
So
world cup winning capt and club capt
World cup golden boot winner, national capt
Two members of the Belgian defence that got to the semi final of the world cup
The first choice England right back who was leading chance provider at the world cup at one stage
First choice England cm who got to sf of wc
Denmark's most important player
Telll me when to stop and I'm boring you.

Some of the negative stuff on here at times is painful and your frankly snide comments about micro brewery and comfy seats in the nest stadium in the country if not Europe pitiful.

You never bore me M8
The stadium bits are just a bit of banter, I never mentioned “comfy seats” I bring my own seat (whellchair), micro brewery, retractable pitch and excellent catering make me chuckle when I think of our transfer window to date.
Let’s hope you are correct on all the England bit I personally thought we had good World Cup but we where distant forth.
The England player performances will have a detrimental effect if past world cups are any guide.
I think we need two defensively minded midfielders IF Dembele is off.
Harry needs rest till September imho, longer if we had a replacement/understudy but we haven’t. So that isn’t going to happen.
I am still hopeful we will bring some ‘quality’ bodies in to bolster the squad.

...as always what deals get done are of primary importance rather than the time it takes for them to happen...

This is also key, when talking about settling into a Poch team does a couple of weeks make that big a difference?

Far more important to get the right player, even if late, than someone else.

And as Ive said many times, we are in a position where we can happily start the season with the squad as it is - new players are not key to us winning games in the short term.

He is entitled to his views like we all are. I just prefer it when people qualify their opinion a bit.

I’ve said it enough but Poch seems pretty happy with everything from what I’ve seen... now compare that with Mou

If I was trousersing £8m pa. I would tow the line! And seem “pretty happy”.

You never bore me M8
The stadium bits are just a bit of banter, I never mentioned “comfy seats” I bring my own seat (whellchair), micro brewery, retractable pitch and excellent catering make me chuckle when I think of our transfer window to date.
Let’s hope you are correct on all the England bit I personally thought we had good World Cup but we where distant forth.
The England player performances will have a detrimental effect if past world cups are any guide.
I think we need two defensively minded midfielders IF Dembele is off.
Harry needs rest till September imho, longer if we had a replacement/understudy but we haven’t. So that isn’t going to happen.
I am still hopeful we will bring some ‘quality’ bodies in to bolster the squad.

Totally agree with you on us struggling because of the WC.
But we have progressed as a team, squad and club so much over the last 4 years that a bit of slippage this year is acceptable when everything is taken into consideration.
WC tiredness
WC stuffing the window
Changing stadium

Still fancy us for top 4, more by default than design.
City will win the league, man u or Chelsea will implode, arsenal have to much to do and Liverpool can finish anywhere from 2nd to 8th imo.
It's not about now for us, it's about the near future.

What if:
1. The risky/brave business was getting our stars/manager on big wages, and we've got it done early.
2. As stated by Donna Cullen, the stadium has taken so much effort, transfers have understandably been put on the back burner.
3. We're skint because of the stadium/wages, and nicking a 'Grealish' is the best we can hope for.

If I was trousersing £8m pa. I would tow the line! And seem “pretty happy”.

I'd toe the line if trousering £8m a year, and asked to demand "brave signings", then swiftly ink a new contract, to give the impression that transfer business was imminent,and tip businesses and fans into eye-wateringly expensive premium seat purchases.

FACTS?

To start the league......would like a "quilty" defensive mid. Now that's not too much to ask for.
Oh! and an understudy for Harry, please.

To start the league......would like a "quilty" defensive mid. Now that's not too much to ask for.
Oh! and an understudy for Harry, please.

We dont need to buy defensive mid, especially not just to cover an injury in the short term.

We went through much of last season with 3-4 of our core CM missing, and did just fine all the same.

Son has proven our most able back up to Kane, we dont need a direct understudy. Especially if we end up getting in a strong and flexible AM to bolster those areas behind Kane (freeing up Son to cover).

Totally agree with you on us struggling because of the WC.
But we have progressed as a team, squad and club so much over the last 4 years that a bit of slippage this year is acceptable when everything is taken into consideration.
WC tiredness
WC stuffing the window
Changing stadium

Still fancy us for top 4, more by default than design.
City will win the league, man u or Chelsea will implode, arsenal have to much to do and Liverpool can finish anywhere from 2nd to 8th imo.
It's not about now for us, it's about the near future.

Totally agree 100%

But I had been ridiculed, I say ridiculed;) when I even intermated the money 'may' be tight this window back in March.
I got "the stadium won't affect the transfers" quote thrown at me, which I always thought was gonad*s. Thus the 'retractable pitch' when reading about other teams transfers, childish I know:cool:.
Quite a few on here thought we would be rolling in it this window. I think looking back I was a little swayed I suppose by their hope and enthusiasm. Now here we are, you have a pop at me for expecting too much.
Got to love football.

This is also key, when talking about settling into a Poch team does a couple of weeks make that big a difference?

Far more important to get the right player, even if late, than someone else.

And as Ive said many times, we are in a position where we can happily start the season with the squad as it is - new players are not key to us winning games in the short term.

Not sure about happily starting the season with the squad as is - it's a compromise afaic and one im sure Pochettino understands but would doubt he is 'happy' with it, as such. He's clearly spoken of the importance of getting new signings in as early as possible and i don't think that something he'd say unless it had meaning.

Back