• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

I don't live in fear

The globe is suffering from uncontrollable population expansion without the farming and infrastructure to support us.

We are at the mercy of an inevitable extinction level event, such as a meteor strike akin to that which did for the dinosaurs (and Bruce Willis ain’t taking roles now) or the explosion of a super volcano such as the one under Yellowstone Park which would wipe out America in one go, and suffocate the rest of us under a greenhouse effect similar to that of the x92 gravitational pressure of Venus.

A nuclear expolsion on our stars surface is likely to cause a solar flare capable of overpowering earths magnetic field protection and stripping away our life giving atmosphere. (See Mercury).

The sun will one day implode into a red giant - it’s outer layers consuming the earth in a fiery death.

Our neighbouring galaxy, Andromeda, and our own Milky Way galaxy are locked in a mutual gravitational pull and will collide into each other, crashing our solar system and all the others into one almighty plantary washing machine style brick storm. Full of burning stars.

The heat death of the Universe.

Hoping this helps keep you happy. Now can we please sign someone before it’s too late....

If we also didn't sell, I would.
Winks and Lamela make our squad stronger than last year.
Definitely have concerns over some areas, but top4 is still there as long as Kane stays fit

Dembele's fitness and relying on Llorente as 3rd forward are the only concerns. But Winks, Onomah, Sterling and Griffiths might alleviate those

Not saying you need dramatic changes but you do need at least a couple of signings. The majority of the important players have been here a good few years, and things get sterile if you don’t constantly add a couple of new faces. They need competition and players consistently refer to how a new player coming in gives the place a lift. On top of that you can’t tell me our big players are going to watch the big boys spend their millions on players, and be happy that we literally do nothing to try and strengthen. Whilst important anyone who thinks just signing a few players to new contracts is all we had to do this summer is deluding themselves. Emirates Marketing Project are way ahead of us still, Liverpool have massively strengthened, Arsenal look like they could be back with a very good coach and the rest of the top 4 competition will be tough. A couple of specific quality signings are key, and I think it’s pretty obvious we will make additions anyway....

Not saying you need dramatic changes but you do need at least a couple of signings. The majority of the important players have been here a good few years, and things get sterile if you don’t constantly add a couple of new faces. They need competition and players consistently refer to how a new player coming in gives the place a lift. On top of that you can’t tell me our big players are going to watch the big boys spend their millions on players, and be happy that we literally do nothing to try and strengthen. Whilst important anyone who thinks just signing a few players to new contracts is all we had to do this summer is deluding themselves. Emirates Marketing Project are way ahead of us still, Liverpool have massively strengthened, Arsenal look like they could be back with a very good coach and the rest of the top 4 competition will be tough. A couple of specific quality signings are key, and I think it’s pretty obvious we will make additions anyway....

You or we? Who do you support?

Arsenal and Chelsea are on serious managed decline, while things always implode on Mourinho's third season anywhere.

Winks and Lamela make our squad stronger than last year.

Problem with this argument is that injuries are part of the game, and it doesnt feel that we've been especially lucky of unlucky in recent years.

Of course Winks and Lamela might (hopefully) be back, but there's a pretty good chance that two other players in the squad pick up injuries which put them out for half to all the season.

So the above argument is offset by whoever gets injured this year

Arsenal and Chelsea are on serious managed decline, while things always implode on Mourinho's third season anywhere.
Forgive me but Im not going hold much weight with your predictions. Not all of our rivals but some will be moving forward, we have to look to do the same. Keeping the same squad plus giving Onomah some chances doesnt exactly scream out progression to me. We have weaknesses (like almost every team) that need addressing, and keeping the same squad isnt going to improve that....

Problem with this argument is that injuries are part of the game, and it doesnt feel that we've been especially lucky of unlucky in recent years.

Of course Winks and Lamela might (hopefully) be back, but there's a pretty good chance that two other players in the squad pick up injuries which put them out for half to all the season.

So the above argument is offset by whoever gets injured this year
Exactly like has been mentioned before its more the backup/squad players that need improving in some positions as the first XI is strong - although one or two improvements could be made in first XI if the right player is available....

Exactly like has been mentioned before its more the backup/squad players that need improving in some positions as the first XI is strong - although one or two improvements could be made in first XI if the right player is available....

Our biggest risk I believe is that Alderweireld and Dembele leave and we dont get replacements who are of the same quality.

Upside is that we do replace them both with decent enough players, and make one other addition. Given the late stage, I don't see anything more than that as realistic

I'm a huge Levy fan but don't understand how every other club, whether above or below us in the league, can sign players of the right quality (whatever that means for each club) earlier in the window. I don't buy the argument that we're somehow in a unique position. Or perhaps its our scouting network? Either way, its just frustrating that we go into each season crossing our fingers that we don't drop too many stupid points over the first few games, whilst we wait for the season to begin properly in October

Our biggest risk I believe is that Alderweireld and Dembele leave and we dont get replacements who are of the same quality.

Upside is that we do replace them both with decent enough players, and make one other addition. Given the late stage, I don't see anything more than that as realistic

I'm a huge Levy fan but don't understand how every other club, whether above or below us in the league, can sign players of the right quality (whatever that means for each club) earlier in the window. I don't buy the argument that we're somehow in a unique position. Or perhaps its our scouting network? Either way, its just frustrating that we go into each season crossing our fingers that we don't drop too many stupid points over the first few games, whilst we wait for the season to begin properly in October

I don't by the scouting argument.

We seem to reshuffle it every year. I imagine they do the Scouting and then we dont do the deal.

Agree, the nucleus of this squad has been together a long time and are approaching a time where a few of them will need replacing. As has been mentioned before Poch doesnt exactly have a great record with transfers, and maybe as Billyiddo suggested a Dof or someone of the like who can help out on the transfer side would be of benefit. When we had a Dof we did seem to acquire many transfers earlier from what I remember.....

He's was Spurs right through, always remember standing near him at Wembley when we beat Leicester to win League Cup and he was crying with emotion.

I’m Spurs through and through. Doesn’t mean I should be starting in a back three alongside Jan and Sanchez, though. :D

Back