• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Suits

Superted

Jonathan Woodgate
Tailored or off-the-rack and how much do you spend?

I'm normally a bit tight and go off-the-rack, but I have such an odd body shape I can never get it right. Think it time to bite the bullet and get a tailored suit.

tailored. always. minimum 500, anything less is completely unacceptable. generally, for real quality you'll be approaching 1000.

Depends what you are using them for really. If you just work in an office and like wearing a suit with no tie to work as your default dress then it doesn't really matter and you'd probably be better of getting something cheaper. If you are meeting lots of clients etc all the time then its always worth paying the money to look sharp.

Lately I've just bought a couple of cheap £150 M & S suits cos I've been getting fat, now on new gym and health routine so will spend a fair bit in the new year and get 3/4 suits. Probably wont get them fully tailored but will get them semi tailored i.e. the ones you see in shops where half the stitching is done. Will spend around £300 on each I'd imagine.

Have a look at M&S. They just did a collaboration with Saville Row's Richard James, they look fantastic and I reckon they're the best value you'll get at around the £300 mark. Not sure if they do alterations in store.
Otherwise, for the next bracket up, I'd have a look at Hackett. Much nicer suits than Ted Baker, and look more tailored and classy than Paul Smith.

I brought a Boateng suit a few months ago - its fudgein amazing. The feel the touch the look the colour and I make it look good haha. Cost a brick load but its just for special occasions.

For work its a mix of Austin Reed suits when I have meetings with clients and Marks and spencers when im in the office. M&S suits are good quality and not so dear that it breaks the bank. AR suits I find to be pretty damn great a bit dear but you do feel so much more comfortable in it and you know it looks good.

I always get made to measure now, and regular'ish trips to India help with that as I've been going to the same tailor there for years. Off the peg just doesn't compare. Sadly (for me) inflation in India means I'm generally paying £100 more for a two piece made to measure there now than I was five years ago. Mind you, it's still a steal given it's the same price as your general upper end M&S suits!

One day I will go full bespoke from Savile Row. Huntsman would be nice, but I doubt I'll ever be able to justify that outlay! Maybe Dege & Skinner or Henry Poole.

Im a NEXT man for suits, not sure why. Always fitted them and they are fashionable I guess (slim fit - although if you see the losing weight thread they were sometimes a bit toight). I should try M&S but I will buy a suit from NEXT for £150 and then buy 2 more pairs of trousers so they last.

Does anyone find that the thinner the material, the crutch wears away?!

I never bought an off the peg suit until I was married and have not been able to afford a tailor made since then. I really felt the dogs bullocks when I had my first mohair suit with my box jaket, 2 inch vents, ticket pocket and 4 buttons on sleeve. Oh how I loved the 60's

Hugo Boss tailored fit, around £500.....I don't have to wear a suit every day so I have 3 of them.

I spend money on nice shirts and ties......got some beautiful soft leather Boss shoes as well......wouldn't get carried away with a suit though....I wanna look sharp but I couldn't justify £1k+

Hugo Boss tailored fit, around £500.....I don't have to wear a suit every day so I have 3 of them.

I spend money on nice shirts and ties......got some beautiful soft leather Boss shoes as well......wouldn't get carried away with a suit though....I wanna look sharp but I couldn't justify £1k+

I think everyone should get a Boateng suit in all seriousness. The max I used to spend on a suit was around 350 from Austin Reed but the boateng suits just feels good. Costs the same as a small second hat car but its super.

Its the shirt and tie though that varies as suits are generally same colours - blue, black, grey

Back