• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Stiliyan Petrov diagnosed with Leukemia, announces retirement

Posted it next door already. Blimey - hope he manages
to recover fully.

Comes across as someone very professional and down to earth

Good luck to him, terrible thing to happen to anyone and I hope he makes a full recovery.

Wonder if we'll see the same media out-cry as Muamba has received?
No, because the Muamba incident happened in public and a ton of people saw it happening live which (rightly or wrongly) gives it more impact that just being told about a terrible thing that's happened.

Someone tells you a bridge collapsed and fifty people died, you think it's horrible, but you probably wouldn't dwell on it for long. However if you were nearby, heard the screams, saw people falling to their deaths... makes a bit of difference.

Not quite the same thing, but the same principal, I think.

Good luck to him, terrible thing to happen to anyone and I hope he makes a full recovery.

No, because the Muamba incident happened in public and a ton of people saw it happening live which (rightly or wrongly) gives it more impact that just being told about a terrible thing that's happened.

Someone tells you a bridge collapsed and fifty people died, you think it's horrible, but you probably wouldn't dwell on it for long. However if you were nearby, heard the screams, saw people falling to their deaths... makes a bit of difference.

Basically it is boring all these people coming out with "insightful" comments about "will we see the same thing as x, y, z..." what is even meant by that? What is the point of saying it?

It is very sad, and I hope he manages to come through it, even though I have to admit I've always thought of him as a bit of a dirty player who doesn't mind leaving the boot in or putting in over the top tackles.

Basically, I hope he doesn't die, the same way I hope we all don't, even those smart fudges who make comments about him or Muamba, or anyone else who is in trouble.

As said, always seemed like a top professional, all the best to him and his family.

Wonder if we'll see the same media out-cry as Muamba has received?

wow what a thought out comment which has made me look deep at myself and others around me in the way we deal with bad news...You've really opened my eyes to a whole new level of understanding in regards to the public's perception of tragic events, what an entirely relevant comment to make in this thread

intelligence...... well said

I always think when it is a sportsman they are lucky because they are so strong they sstand a better chance then the rest of us. Of course getting cancer is not lucky and i wish the lad well, but maybe his job will help in his recovery if you get what i mean.

Was this the one that jol wanted but got boatang instead?

Orbital;64354[B said:
]Basically it is boring all these people coming out with "insightful" comments [/B]about "will we see the same thing as x, y, z..." what is even meant by that? What is the point of saying it?

It is very sad, and I hope he manages to come through it, even though I have to admit I've always thought of him as a bit of a dirty player who doesn't mind leaving the boot in or putting in over the top tackles.

Basically, I hope he doesn't die, the same way I hope we all don't, even those smart fudges who make comments about him or Muamba, or anyone else who is in trouble.

interesting that you make an 'insightful' direct link between cancer and death

Treatment for leukaemia is making huge progress in recent years, 5 year survival rates are up 30% over the last 10 years, in the main, due to significant advances in bone marrow and stem cell transplants. this is a curable illness, if caught in time and with the right treatment and sufficient donors. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...hbSZDQ&usg=AFQjCNEGGH8Ep9u7Zm-24PSFMoB5CgVaxw

interesting that you make an 'insightful' direct link between cancer and death

Treatment for leukaemia is making huge progress in recent years, 5 year survival rates are up 30% over the last 10 years, in the main, due to significant advances in bone marrow and stem cell transplants. this is a curable illness, if caught in time and with the right treatment and sufficient donors. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...hbSZDQ&usg=AFQjCNEGGH8Ep9u7Zm-24PSFMoB5CgVaxw

What on earth are you going on about? You do know cancer is the UK's biggest killer/premature killer? Is there a disease that you can more "insightfully" link with death? What is your point?

...and only 32!! Real shame as he seems like one of the genuinely nice players in the game (ironically, Muamba being one of the others!!)

Can't be the only one hoping Villa now crank up their game (like Bolton did last weekend) and 'win it for Stan' tomorrow!!! THE WHOLE COUNTRY WILL BE ROOTING FOR THEM!

Jeez yet again people get all in a tizz because someone asks a question. Why is asking if the media will have the same reaction to a similar situation I.e a life threatening condition such a terrible thing to say? Yet another example of Britain getting on their soap box

Last edited:
...and only 32!! Real shame as he seems like one of the genuinely nice players in the game (ironically, Muamba being one of the others!!)

Can't be the only one hoping Villa now crank up their game (like Bolton did last weekend) and 'win it for Stan' tomorrow!!! THE WHOLE COUNTRY WILL BE ROOTING FOR THEM!

:special:

Apparently the Villa fans are planning on doing a minute's a applause on the 19th minute.

Back