• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Stick your player ratings to the mast

El Guepardo

Rafael Van Der Vaart
There seems to be a lot of discussion about the virtues and downfalls of each of the players of our squad. Each player has his lovers, and haters.

I'm curious if people will stand up and cite their nominations for the top three underrated players & their top three overrated players. That way, if it's recorded in a post, people won't change their mind just on the basis of one performance, although they may over the course of time.

I use the words 'underrated' and 'overrated' as I'm cautious to avoid best/worst as I think this could skew the rankings. I'm more curious about which players people can't stand, and those that they can't understand why others don't rate them more highly.

I ask that people don't start bickering about other people's choices. Discussion about individual players can take place in their respective threads. This is just to record people's personal opinions on the subject in hand. Reasoning would be good but isn't essential.

And if this thread is deemed unnecessary or unpopular, it will disappear quickly.

Bad: Rose, Soldado, Paulinho. I find these three maddening, occasional goals notwithstanding.

Good: Eriksen, Adebayor, Sandro. Our slim chance of fourth rests with these three.

My underrated: Lloris, Vertonghen & Sandro.
My overrated: Townsend, Rose and, I'm afraid to say, Soldado.

Overrated: Dembele, Bentaleb, Rose
Underrated: Paulinho, Holtby, Sandro; I've added Sandro due to the impact that he'll make to the team upon his return

Overrated: Dawson, Townsend, paulinho, walker

Under rated: vlad, Rose (not that he is that good but he isn't as bad as he is often made out), lamela

Underrated:
Adebayor - more valuable to Spurs than Bale at the same point last season. But not worth £85m :)
Lennon - gets far too much flack on these boards, constantly one of our most dangerous players (if as provider rather than goalscorer) and defensively an assett
Dawson - lionheart, has provided some of the fire that has kept us up there

Overrated:
Soldado
Lamela
Eriksen

...in that none are yet proven in the Premiership, yet are lauded as the "Great Hope" of Tottenham Hotspur.

Underrated: Huddlestone (should not have sold him), Carroll & BAE (should not have loaned either of them), Adebayor (should never have consigned him to the reserves).
Overrated: (Based on the little I've seen so far, the price we paid for them, and the fact that one of them is Brazilian) Soldado, Paulinho, Lamela. (The last one might turn out OK. As for Paulinho, have we checked his passport to make sure he is Brazilian)

I'm going to work by the idea that those that are over rated are the ones that are celebrated by the media etc, yet I don't rate and that the under rated ones are the players that get little recognition.

Over
------
Dembele
Lennon
Defoe

Under
-------
Naughton - Actually a capable right back, just terrible on the left.
Sig - Needs some time in his preferred role if we are ever going to see what this guy can do and that means not on the left wing.
Soldado - Apart from the Hull game this guy has looked good and linked a lot of our attacks up well. Once he starts finding the back of the net he will be fine

Bored as hell so I'm gonna be a bore and rate all our first team players. :D

KEY PLAYERS

Hugo Lloris - probably just about our best player, which says a lot, cos I don't think he's been at his best this season but he has still saved us on numerous occasions. Gone downhill a bit but I'm confident he'll rediscover top form at some time soon. Wouldn't swap him for another keeper in the league personally

Emmanuel Adebayor - it's amazing how important he has become to us, I don't even think he's a top notch striker cos he's far too inconsistent and unreliable but he's had more good days than bad ones since returning to the team and it is unbelievable how much of an upgrade he is on Soldado and JD up top

Sandro - obvious issue is his injury proneness and he isn't the best on the ball but we are just so much more solid when he is in top form. Without him we are way too easy to penetrate. I well hope Sherwood and Sir Les were joking with their defensive midfield comments and that this guy gets back in the team shortly or we'll suffer

Christian Eriksen - another one who looks very inconsistent and bar the trip to Man Utd he has been poor in big games but his good performances have been very good and we can only hope he becomes more consistent with them over time, because he's our only player with an ounce of creativity

Kyle Walker - still think he's dumb at times, makes some poor decisions but credit to him for his admirable desire and I do feel he's improving albeit at a fairly slow pace, and the difference between him and Naughton playing right-back is huge

GOOD PLAYERS

Erik Lamela - have no idea if he'll ever get a chance here but he has ability. Maybe he just isn't cut out for England, which would be a great shame given his talent but you don't get much time to settle in this league

Michael Dawson - gets way too much of a hard time from our 'supporters' both at games and on here. Will always struggle against fleet footed, quick strikers but his leadership is vital to us and he isn't as bad a defender as some will have you believe

Aaron Lennon - been way off the boil this season but I love him so am always going to profess my love for him regardless! We don't have much quality on the flanks but on a good day he is better than our alternatives (besides maybe Lamela)

Vlad Chiriches - not a necessary signing but has done a decent job for us when he's filled in and time is still kind of on his side

Jan Vertonghen - controversial opinion alert! but I don't think Jan is as super as many of our fans believe, he gets bullied by bigger strikers quite a bit and struggles against pacey ones. He's really good on the ball which is a great asset but he's not as important, at least in my book, as many seem to think

MEH PLAYERS

Roberto Soldado - the ultimate meh player, I called it at the time of signing him that his goal record in Spain was inflated by his taking of loads of penalties and having a good, creative Valencia side built around him. Has zero pace, isn't very strong and clearly isn't as good a finisher as anticipated. Just the very definition of a meh player, which is annoying considering how much money we parted for him

Paulinho - likewise, another record signing of ours who just isn't what he was built up as. Is a coward in the tackle I've noticed a few times and he contributes very little to build up play. He's a very poor man's Lampard in that his only real purpose is to get in the box and score the odd goal like at Hull last week. Another who looks painfully unpredictable, which isn't what you demand in a midfielder

Nacer Chadli - the very epitome of a meh player, again. Has no standout skills for the wing, just an odd signing all round. Get rid in the summer please

Etienne Capoue - just decent, not quite as good as Sandro defensively but possibly a bit better with the ball. Think he would do better in a slower league like Italy or Spain where he'd make a good defensive midfielder cos they prefer his type of one

Danny Rose - I had high hopes for him after his spell at Sunderland but have been disappointed. His defending is often atrocious and, for all his endeavour, his end product is poor. Would make a decent backup left-back

Gylfi Sigurdsson - offers little but a good long shot from time to time. Get the feeling he's very selfish, just wants to boost his goal tally and probably only joined us over Liverpool to try and look good individually to earn a move to his boyhood club Man United. Well he'd certainly fit in with their mediocrity right now

Kyle Naughton - pretty average, can do an okay job as backup right-back but I never want to see him play LB again. Ever

Nabil Bentaleb - like Tommy Carroll last season, a few decent displays against pub teams where he passes the ball five yards and he's loved by all and sundry. Not buying it personally, think Tim puts him in the team to satisfy himself and he offers very little to us at the moment. Painfully out of his depth against top teams. May turn in to a good player but not half the player some build him up as at the game and online

OVERRATED PLAYERS

Mousa Dembele - what does he actually do? Definitely isn't a £15m player in my eyes. I know I'm going against the grain with this but I watch him every week and see some tidy defensive work, fair play to him for that but aside from carrying the ball a good ten yards he contributes so little to attacks. Wouldn't mind him as a rotation player but I get annoyed by his mentality, feels like he could do a lot more if he could be arsed but he's happy to settle for being just a solid player

Andros Townsend - I'm loathe to saying this cos I love us bringing local lads through but those two performances for England and that one at Villa Park against Antonio Luna for us have blinded so many people it's unreal. Seems having lots of pace and a hard left-footed shot is enough for some. Not for me, he lacks intelligence and movement so I never see him being a top player or anything. Having said that, he is a product of our academy so I hope we keep him around as a squad player for years to come, cos I think he could be particularly useful off the bench as an impact player like Javier Hernandez is for Man United

No mention of Kabs (dunno what his situation is, much as I like him), JD (leaving) or Brad (would be harsh to castigate an old man!).

Last edited:
Overrated

Dawson - Bulldog spirit doesn't get you to the top table alone. Lovely bloke he is.
Paulinho - Cannot believe we managed to unearth the Brazilian Jenas.. but we did. Slows the game too much.
Lennon - Cooked.. its about knowing when to let go. IMO his cigar smoking is catching up with him.

Underrated

Walker - Seems to be a great character and is only going to get better. Love his energy and with experience his defending will improve.
Chadli - When he gets it, people will say what a bargain. Not sure the tight pitch helps him.
Soldado - Not been fed the ball like when at Valencia, I can count on one hand the crosses and slide rule passes he has received since his hat trick in the Europa league. His failure is a team and coaching failure.

Head scratcher

Lamela - What the fcuk. Surely Levy must have purchased him on a performace deal. 10 appearance 5m Year 1 etc. Without doubt the strangest ever purchase in the history of the game.
Rose - Surprised Levy didn't snap the hand of the supposed offer from Sunderland after his loan spell. Bet he is regretting the one that got away.
Siggurdson - You look at Liverpool and I ask myself, why was Brendan Rodgers after him, where would he have fitted in the current team set up. Everything about him suggests no where. His big plus is he does fcuk all but pops up with goals.
Capoue - How can a French international be outplayed by an 18 year old. I would have upped my game if I was Capoue but instead decided to run away.. typical Frenchman. ;)
Defoe - Finally!
Adebayor - I think people know my thoughts :lol: . Simple the club thinks more about money than its moral standing. Cool.. fcuk you too.

Bored as hell so I'm gonna be a bore and rate all our first team players. :D

KEY PLAYERS

Hugo Lloris - probably just about our best player, which says a lot, cos I don't think he's been at his best this season but he has still saved us on numerous occasions. Gone downhill a bit but I'm confident he'll rediscover top form at some time soon. Wouldn't swap him for another keeper in the league personally

Emmanuel Adebayor - it's amazing how important he has become to us, I don't even think he's a top notch striker cos he's far too inconsistent and unreliable but he's had more good days than bad ones since returning to the team and it is unbelievable how much of an upgrade he is on Soldado and JD up top

Sandro - obvious issue is his injury proneness and he isn't the best on the ball but we are just so much more solid when he is in top form. Without him we are way too easy to penetrate. I well hope Sherwood and Sir Les were joking with their defensive midfield comments and that this guy gets back in the team shortly or we'll suffer

Christian Eriksen - another one who looks very inconsistent and bar the trip to Man Utd he has been poor in big games but his good performances have been very good and we can only hope he becomes more consistent with them over time, because he's our only player with an ounce of creativity

Kyle Walker - still think he's dumb at times, makes some poor decisions but credit to him for his admirable desire and I do feel he's improving albeit at a fairly slow pace, and the difference between him and Naughton playing right-back is huge

GOOD PLAYERS

Erik Lamela - have no idea if he'll ever get a chance here but he has ability. Maybe he just isn't cut out for England, which would be a great shame given his talent but you don't get much time to settle in this league

Michael Dawson - gets way too much of a hard time from our 'supporters' both at games and on here. Will always struggle against fleet footed, quick strikers but his leadership is vital to us and he isn't as bad a defender as some will have you believe

Aaron Lennon - been way off the boil this season but I love him so am always going to profess my love for him regardless! We don't have much quality on the flanks but on a good day he is better than our alternatives (besides maybe Lamela)

Vlad Chiriches - not a necessary signing but has done a decent job for us when he's filled in and time is still kind of on his side

Jan Vertonghen - controversial opinion alert! but I don't think Jan is as super as many of our fans believe, he gets bullied by bigger strikers quite a bit and struggles against pacey ones. He's really good on the ball which is a great asset but he's not as important, at least in my book, as many seem to think

MEH PLAYERS

Roberto Soldado - the ultimate meh player, I called it at the time of signing him that his goal record in Spain was inflated by his taking of loads of penalties and having a good, creative Valencia side built around him. Has zero pace, isn't very strong and clearly isn't as good a finisher as anticipated. Just the very definition of a meh player, which is annoying considering how much money we parted for him

Paulinho - likewise, another record signing of ours who just isn't what he was built up as. Is a coward in the tackle I've noticed a few times and he contributes very little to build up play. He's a very poor man's Lampard in that his only real purpose is to get in the box and score the odd goal like at Hull last week. Another who looks painfully unpredictable, which isn't what you demand in a midfielder

Nacer Chadli - the very epitome of a meh player, again. Has no standout skills for the wing, just an odd signing all round. Get rid in the summer please

Etienne Capoue - just decent, not quite as good as Sandro defensively but possibly a bit better with the ball. Think he would do better in a slower league like Italy or Spain where he'd make a good defensive midfielder cos they prefer his type of one

Danny Rose - I had high hopes for him after his spell at Sunderland but have been disappointed. His defending is often atrocious and, for all his endeavour, his end product is poor. Would make a decent backup left-back

Gylfi Sigurdsson - offers little but a good long shot from time to time. Get the feeling he's very selfish, just wants to boost his goal tally and probably only joined us over Liverpool to try and look good individually to earn a move to his boyhood club Man United. Well he'd certainly fit in with their mediocrity right now

Kyle Naughton - pretty average, can do an okay job as backup right-back but I never want to see him play LB again. Ever

Nabil Bentaleb - like Tommy Carroll last season, a few decent displays against pub teams where he passes the ball five yards and he's loved by all and sundry. Not buying it personally, think Tim puts him in the team to satisfy himself and he offers very little to us at the moment. Painfully out of his depth against top teams. May turn in to a good player but not half the player some build him up as at the game and online

OVERRATED PLAYERS

Mousa Dembele - what does he actually do? Definitely isn't a £15m player in my eyes. I know I'm going against the grain with this but I watch him every week and see some tidy defensive work, fair play to him for that but aside from carrying the ball a good ten yards he contributes so little to attacks. Wouldn't mind him as a rotation player but I get annoyed by his mentality, feels like he could do a lot more if he could be arsed but he's happy to settle for being just a solid player

Andros Townsend - I'm loathe to saying this cos I love us bringing local lads through but those two performances for England and that one at Villa Park against Antonio Luna for us have blinded so many people it's unreal. Seems having lots of pace and a hard left-footed shot is enough for some. Not for me, he lacks intelligence and movement so I never see him being a top player or anything. Having said that, he is a product of our academy so I hope we keep him around as a squad player for years to come, cos I think he could be particularly useful off the bench as an impact player like Javier Hernandez is for Man United

No mention of Kabs (dunno what his situation is, much as I like him), JD (leaving) or Brad (would be harsh to castigate an old man!).

I pretty much agree with this only I think you've overrated Walker, underrated Soldado and forgot Eriksen!

Overrate:

Dawson - Puts in 100% every game but at best, a squad player for us. Should be a first team player for a mid table outfit.
Lennon - :( Cant believe he is the player he is now. Has not added anything to his game over the years . Just not much there.
Sigurdsson - He seems a bit stiff to me lol I mean he's not very mobile.

Underrated:

Bentelab - Can't believe how this boy has been negatively received by so many Spurs fans. But I do think that Sherwood is not handling his talent very well.
Chiriches - one of my faves but he gets stick from some quarters for wanting to play football rather than just defend.
Naughton - as a right-back he's pretty good

Key Players:

Jan Vertonghen - When he is back to full fitness and playing constantly in his preffered position he will show the form he did last season and the quality player he is. He is widely admired in a lot of places and there is a reason why.

Hugo Lloris - A top Keeper who has great shot stopping ability and an eye for sweeping. His cross claiming is a little weak and sometimes he is over Zealous when coming out and he needs to watch that. But again he is highly admired by all.

Kyle Walker - He is a very good player who can get a lot better. If he concentrates on his end product when he gets wide and does not rely so much on his pace in defence he can get better and better.

Sandro - He should be a key player and is injured way too often. He brings a lot of abilities to the team and we miss him in a lot of the big games. He is a motivator and he leads by example. Would be my captain if Dawson was dropped.

Adebayor - He is the only striker we have that fits the players we bought. Soldaso was the wrong purchase all together. When he is on form he is amazing. Like all of us i wish he could just do it more often.

Good Players:

Christian Eriksen - I like a lot of what he brings to a team. Moving him around all over is messing him about. He is also settling in England. I think he will be much much better in his second season. he needs to play of the front to get involved.

Moussa Dembele - I think his attribute for ball retention and tackling is underated. His end product should be so much more, but he still brings a key ingredient to the team. We miss his ability to retain possesion when he does not play.

Micheal Dawson - A sold player who will put is all into every game. Strong in the air and a good leader. Has some deficinces that get shown up in certain games but a good player for the squad.

Danny Rose - Again a solid enough player still getting used to the team. He has pace and strength but needs to know when to use them both. I wont give up on him yet.

Aaron Lennon - When he is on song he can be devistating. But I think he is too reliant on others around him to have an effect. And for a winger he should be able to influence games more. Not enough good games for me.

Andros Townsend - He has still not had a full prem season. He needs to learn when to pass and when to shoot but he has the atributes you look for in a player. Run and shoot people say. Thats what bale did. So lets hope he can aspire 2 that level

Benteleb - Doing well in his limited time so far this season. I hope to see him get better and better. I think he shows the maturtity in his game for a young player you want to see. His passing is crisp. Needs to work on his defensive side.

Vlad Chiriches - Another players in his first prem season. He is getting more used to the pace and physicality and im hoping to see him have a huge jump in his second season. nice composure on the ball. Needs to be more aware.

Overated Players:

Gyfil Siggurdsson - Has a nice shot and pass on him. But he gets bypassed in many games due to his slow pace and lack of overal movement. He worked well as a free man in the swansea team but he is not the level we need for that position.

Lewis Holtby - I like him as a player. He has a nice touch and a eye for a pass but again he is too slow for the premiership and for all his industry he gets crowded off the ball too easily.

Etienne Capoue - There is a big clamour to get him in the side in the absence of Sandro. But apart from two games at the start of the season and i know he has been injured he has looked lazy and lacks movement.

Meh Players:

Nader Chadli - Cannot stand the guy. He brings absoloutley none of the skillset you need for a winger. No pace. Cant cross. Cant shoot. And when he does get a chance with his head he misses. And that is suposed to be a strong point.

Kyle Naughton - For someone who has had a few seasons in the prem now he has not improved much. He is an ok ish player with Deficiences. Im happy to move him on and have Fredericks as his replacement and Walkers understudy.

Roberto Soldado - Earlier in the sason he had an excuse. He was getting no service. Since Tim has come on board he has had a lot more chances than ade and he cannot even hit the target. I have lost faith in him already.

Paulinhio - It was a toss up here between him being in the meh section or the Good players section. He has the abilities but looks very lazy on occasion and has had very few effective games. Im hoping his second season will bring him on.

Not seen enough of

Erik Lamela - Give him ten games and we might be able to judge. until then I cant really say anything other than I hope to see him play more.

Younnes Kaboul - I like the man. I want him to get him back to where he was. Its looking less and less likely but I still have hope.

Back