• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Bergwijn

What I’d love to do is keep him, play him more and lose Lucas out of the two

All depends on who the replacements are. Nearly everyone can be upgraded. Doesn't mean they're brick, just if we have the opportunity to make the team better we should. Optimally ofcourse.

He’s done this a few times for the Netherlands. Some people claiming on here he’s not good enough, he’s easily good enough to be rotated in but if he’s only given five minutes here and there he’s not going to be able to show it. If you gave Son the same minutes Bergwijn had he wouldn’t look half the player he is playing almost every minute….

Happy to lose Bergwjin, Moura and Hojberg to cobble funds for a proper signing in the centre of the pitch. A natural leader who is willing to get on someone's back will be helpful on the odd days when players don't show up. Who comes close to a young Conte that captained Juventus? Someone as fiery as him!

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Happy to lose Bergwjin, Moura and Hojberg to cobble funds for a proper signing in the centre of the pitch. A natural leader who is willing to get on someone's back will be helpful on the odd days when players don't show up. Who comes close to a young Conte that captained Juventus? Someone as fiery as him!

That’s fine but we do actually need back up attacking players. We’re looking at a 55 game season with a WC in the middle.

We will need back up in every position - Stevie provides decent back up to our 2 best players. If he does leave we need to find another option anyway.

I’d like him to stay but it will require Conte to turn the 5 min appearances into 25 mins and also trust him as a full rotation option in some ‘weaker’ games.

That’s how City and Liverpool work.

That’s fine but we do actually need back up attacking players. We’re looking at a 55 game season with a WC in the middle.

We will need back up in every position - Stevie provides decent back up to our 2 best players. If he does leave we need to find another option anyway.

I’d like him to stay but it will require Conte to turn the 5 min appearances into 25 mins and also trust him as a full rotation option in some ‘weaker’ games.

He is only good back up if Conte trusts him, he clearly doesn’t.

Sell and get someone he does.

He is only good back up if Conte trusts him, he clearly doesn’t.

Sell and get someone he does.

Happy to lose Bergwjin, Moura and Hojberg to cobble funds for a proper signing in the centre of the pitch.

Your comments surprise me, why do we need to sell 3 players to replace them with just one, that weakens us fundamentally. Particularly when you consider Winks will also be sold. That would leave us weak in central midfield.

Personally I think Hojberg has had a strong season and should remain a part of the midfield rotation.

Is the issue with Bergwjin that he needs regular games to get confidence and rhythm?

As we won’t give him that, it’s best for all parties that we sell.

A good player he kinda reminds me of Defoe, awesome when in a good rhythm able to finish in style. But when low on form he can look totally off the pace.

Last edited:
Your comments surprise me, why do we need to sell 3 players to replace them with just one, that weakens us fundamentally. Particularly when you consider Winks will also be sold. That would leave us weak in central midfield.

Personally I think Hojberg has had a strong season and should remain a part of the midfield rotation.
Would leave us with no cover up front either. Our bench was really weak in a lot of games.
We need more cover not less as it will be a long season.

Sell Winks and bring in a replacement. Sell one of Moura and Stevie and get a replacement.

Consolidate and upgrade to a player of real quality ? There's still Skipp and Bentancur who needs to be playing.

Forgot about Winks, but yeah, sell 3 including him. I was thinking more about consolidating to get a real upgrade in quality. Not sure if Hojberg would want to sit on the bench if we upgraded on him though.

Consolidate and upgrade to a player of real quality ? There's still Skipp and Bentancur who needs to be playing.

Need more than Skipp, Bentancur plus another. 3 players can't cover what will most likely be a season of 55 - 60 games.
Skipp has already had a long term injury due to being overplayed. If we were to go into the season with just 3 CMs I'd be looking for Paraticis head.

He’s done this a few times for the Netherlands. Some people claiming on here he’s not good enough, he’s easily good enough to be rotated in but if he’s only given five minutes here and there he’s not going to be able to show it. If you gave Son the same minutes Bergwijn had he wouldn’t look half the player he is playing almost every minute….

It's a meritocracy, Conte hasn't flipped a coin and decided Son gets all the minutes - Son ensures that he plays (even if it upsets @Yiddo ;) ) because of how effective he is and presumably his attitude and application in training.

Conte had that quote "I look to the bench, and then I look back at the pitch", possibly paraphrasing but the point being that he sees no upgrade on the bench, just lesser options. The reality of it is that Bergwijn is picked behind Moura as a starter that says a lot and to do anything in line with Conte's ambition we need more quality to ensure one injury to our front line doesn't mean a massive drop off in quality.

Last edited:
It's a meritocracy, Conte hasn't flipped a coin and decided Son gets all the minutes - Son ensures that he plays (even if it upsets @Yiddo ;) ) because of how effective he his and presumably his attitude and application in training.

Conte had that quote "I look to the bench, and then I look back at the pitch", possibly paraphrasing but the point being that he sees no upgrade on the bench, just lesser options. The reality of it is that Bergwijn is picked behind Moura as a starter that says a lot and to do anything in line with Conte's ambition we need more quality to ensure one injury to our front line doesn't mean a massive drop off in quality.
Other than Emirates Marketing Project just about every bench has ‘lesser options’. But the fact is you can’t rely on Son and Kane to be fit to play all games in a season which means you need to give appropriate minutes to the understudy to a) keep them happy and interested enough to actually perform when required b) Have enough minutes in them to actually develop a bit of ‘form’. Bergwijn is technically a very good player, his goal yesterday wasn’t a one off and should have been given more game time against lower level PL teams rather than just the last five minutes of games when they were already won and the team barely interested in even attacking.

I wouldn’t mind if Bergwijn didn’t have the talent, but I’d say he is a similar level to what Son was when he first arrived. It’s just sad he wants to leave and will watch him develop into a really good player somewhere else - probably Ajax and he will score a hat trick against us next season:D….

That is patently ridiculous. That leaves us with just 3 central midfielders to rotate in the CL, league, FA Cup and league Cup. And what happens if Skipp and or Bentancur get injured or suspended?

Other than Emirates Marketing Project just about every bench has ‘lesser options’. But the fact is you can’t rely on Son and Kane to be fit to play all games in a season which means you need to give appropriate minutes to the understudy to a) keep them happy and interested enough to actually perform when required b) Have enough minutes in them to actually develop a bit of ‘form’. Bergwijn is technically a very good player, his goal yesterday wasn’t a one off and should have been given more game time against lower level PL teams rather than just the last five minutes of games when they were already won and the team barely interested in even attacking.

I wouldn’t mind if Bergwijn didn’t have the talent, but I’d say he is a similar level to what Son was when he first arrived. It’s just sad he wants to leave and will watch him develop into a really good player somewhere else - probably Ajax and he will score a hat trick against us next season:D….

On the first point - Emirates Marketing Project, Liverpool and Chelsea are teams that have excellent strength in depth and unsurprisingly are the teams that finished above us and are the level that we need to surpass.

I (and more importantly Fabio and Antonio) know that we can't rely on Kane / Son to be fit for an entire season, that's why for a start they went out and got Kulu in January who waltzed in to the first team ahead of Stevie.

Now I'm ever hopeful that we'll push on to the next level and get actual cover for Kane, a world class deep lying centre forward rather than pretending a moderately talented winger with no playmaking skills and erratic finishing is fit for the job.

It's only rumours until there's a quote but reportedly ( and understandably from his perspective) Stevie's head dropped somewhat in training as it's clear where he is in the pecking order. More talented players than Bergwijn have fallen foul of Conte's standards and needs mentality wise - Every poster desperate for Stevie to waste another season of his career here doesn't want to acknowledge the much maligned Moura got starts ahead of him even in the late stages of the season, this isn't an oversight on our management team.

It's only my opinion but for his sake he needs to move on, you're right he'll definitely grab a couple against us if we meet again but it's the price to pay for him getting his career back on track and for us to improve our squad in line with Conte's vision.

On the first point - Emirates Marketing Project, Liverpool and Chelsea are teams that have excellent strength in depth and unsurprisingly are the teams that finished above us and are the level that we need to surpass.

I (and more importantly Fabio and Antonio) know that we can't rely on Kane / Son to be fit for an entire season, that's why for a start they went out and got Kulu in January who waltzed in to the first team ahead of Stevie.

Now I'm ever hopeful that we'll push on to the next level and get actual cover for Kane, a world class deep lying centre forward rather than pretending a moderately talented winger with no playmaking skills and erratic finishing is fit for the job.

It's only rumours until there's a quote but reportedly ( and understandably from his perspective) Stevie's head dropped somewhat in training as it's clear where he is in the pecking order. More talented players than Bergwijn have fallen foul of Conte's standards and needs mentality wise - Every poster desperate for Stevie to waste another season of his career here doesn't want to acknowledge the much maligned Moura got starts ahead of him even in the late stages of the season, this isn't an oversight on our management team.

It's only my opinion but for his sake he needs to move on, you're right he'll definitely grab a couple against us if we meet again but it's the price to pay for him getting his career back on track and for us to improve our squad in line with Conte's vision.

There's a lot of sense in what you say, but just a small point, "the much maligned moura", yes much maligned by fans, i'm hoping no spurs manager is picking his team based on what the fans think.
Have any of the four managers we have had tried to move him on, not played him, or had a bad word for him?
His game has weaknesses for sure, but for me his positives far out weigh his negatives.

Back