• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steve Hitchen

His peers being, who, the lookouts on the Titanic? Because he certainly doesn't belong with other Directors of Football worthy of the name, imo.

And I would disagree anyway. I suspect a proper DoF sees every window as an opportunity to shape the squad, add something new, keep the team going, ship out deadwood, keep the squad in flux so no one gets comfortable.The ones who dislike January are the chairmen, since they have to pay more to get players over the line. Well, the chairmen like Levy, anyway.

If the DoF is echoing the chairman...*our* chairman's position of not liking January because it doesn't have 550,000 weeks in it to haggle 25p off the fee, I don't think he's doing his job properly.

Since when has Steve Hitchen been Director of Football?

Here's a list of our "major" signings since 2015, for instance. I'll put the ones that have actually come good in bold, and acceptable ones in italics:

Yedlin
Wimmer
Trippier
N'Jie
Son
Alderweireld

N'Koudou
Wanyama
Janssen
Sissoko
Foyth
Gazzaniga
Llorente
Aurier
Moura

Sanchez
Gedson
Clarke
Lo Celso
Sessegnon
Bergwijn
Ndombele
Bale
Vinicius
Rodon

Højbjerg
Doherty
Reguilon

There's still time for a few of these to come good, of course - but we need a system to accommodate them. So many of these have had 2+ seasons, yet they just don't seem integrated in the squad. Why did we sign Vinicius as a backup striker if we weren't prepared to pay up for him? Seems like it was just a punt all along - so why even bother? Why didn't we use a young striker in his stead? Just the odd example - but the list is littered with weird signings.
That's your opinion on who has come good etc. And no club gets all their transfers right, it's about 50/50.

Instead of all these imaginary scenarios of him being a frustrated superscout with a folder of great players in his desk, I prefer to think about what he actually said, on camera, attributable to him, directly. Said to the tealady for some reason.

'I hate January'.

For a man whose job revolves around four months - January, June, July, August - to declare that he hates doing his job for 25% of the time he's supposed to actually do it is just ass-kissing Levy to a degree I can barely fathom.

Bad enough he buys dud after dud. That he's a Levy mini-me who also kisses up to the boss is just proof of him being an incompetent promoted well beyond his actual ability.
So a scripted line said for the cameras in a documentary is what you base your opinion of him on??? That really is grasping at straws.
It'd be worse than me basing my opinion of you based solely on your rants on Levy in here. I'm sure you're a nice bloke and relatively sane, but I'd probably take a different opinion basing only your Levy posts :p

Plenty of managers, agents and those involved in trying to make transfers happen say they hate January because it is so hard to do business.

The “I hate January” line, Hitchen probably thought it was a throwaway line. People don’t like certain aspects of their job, I do get that, but he has to have some common sense to know that hearing that isn’t exactly going to endear him to people when as others said, we have certain short windows to operate in to identify our targets and execute a purchase or a loan. If he has any sense he shouldn’t say things like that in public again :D

so if a new dof comes hitchen goes?

twitter with rumours of new dof and players unhappy that he might go

https://twitter.com/thespursweb?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

E3NDXOJWUAICBpj

Last edited:
So much taken from a line said on a puff piece documentary

It does my head in that people judge him so harshly on that documentary and on that line in particular. Shows all that's wrong with public debate. Condemn a man based on nothing more than a throwaway line with no context.

I've no real idea how good or otherwise Hitchen is because I don't know his exact brief. I suspect most people condemning him know about as much as me.

It does my head in that people judge him so harshly on that documentary and on that line in particular. Shows all that's wrong with public debate. Condemn a man based on nothing more than a throwaway line with no context.

I've no real idea how good or otherwise Hitchen is because I don't know his exact brief. I suspect most people condemning him know about as much as me.
Spot on. And a comment he made that I think, if interpreted with any good will is actually a very good comment.

To me he effectively said that he wants to work methodically, gain a lot of information over time and plan to try to maximise the chances of success with a signing.

The January window is a window of opportunity signings where doing this becomes more difficult. Have to make quicker decisions when an opportunity arises, with more limited information and fewer options.

I think this shows why interviews in fotball are mostly boring, meaningless, media trained nonsense that at best barely could be distinguished from an auto generated algorithm. Not even current state AI/machine learning, just a semi competent algorithm.

Honesty, nuance, leaving any room for interpretation means people will jump on you unless you're consistently successful - and that's just about impossible. So everything is designed to be bland, boring, lacking of content.

Unhappy as that means they may actually be sold or have to compete with better players??

My thought too. Being best-mates with the players is very low down the priority list for a DoF characteristics in my view

Clearly you dont want people in any organisation who are toxic, but I wouldnt be remotely bothered if players were unhappy if he left

Back