• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

St.Patrick's Day

Oh nooooo, the forum has missed me! :ross: fudge me - are you ever going to get a life?

If "people just want to drink", why don't they just drink to St George too? Plenty of English lager louts would toast that, surely?

The Irish celebrate St Patricks Day, because they're proud and patriotic - not because the idea of drinking all day appeals to them. The English don't have enough pride in their own identity to celebrate it; too scared of "offending" people, and that's why St George's day is a complete damp squid. No other nationality gives a toss about whether being patriotic offends anyone else, so you gotta ask yourself why England is so self-conscious.

Umm... What? Jeez what a fun guy you are. Although I should have known you don't let anything go so were bound to take a friendly banter style comment way out of proportion. In case you didn't get it, I was being ironic based on the number of rants you've had already (ie tesco). It wasn't a criticism though, plenty of miserable buggers on here, each to their own.

I know you like to hate the world And everything in it (goth by any chance?), but st Patricks day is just about getting tinkled. Thats it for the English. There are enough Irish in England for the tradition to be picked up, and the Irish way is appealing. There's no identity crisis (WTF?), plenty do celebrate st George. It's everyday the English people live an English lifestyle, so a day that involves acting a bit different, drinking Guinness and listening to brick irish music is seen as fun. Also been marketed by pubs more. What about Scotland and Wales? I was in Cardiff and there was st patricks celebrations everywhere.

If you can't let your petty grudge against me go, at least cut out the dramatic over the top negative stuff.

Oh and the one thing I certainly won't be doing, is asking myself why England is so self conscious. I need to GET a life remember.

Last edited:
Do people who are coming out with the old line about 'not being able to celebrate St Georges Day' realise that there are St Georges Day parades around the country and that Trafalgar Square does also hold an event similar to the one at the weekend?

While it would be nice to get a bank holiday for St Georges Day I've always associated May Day as being the holiday where traditional music, dancing, village fetes etc were rolled out.

St Andrew's or St. David's Days aren't celebrated anything like St Patrick's day either.

While the celebration of St Patrick's day does have a historical significance, the current version seen across the UK is mostly a marketing campaign for Guinness.

If by 'we' you mean the English, that's easy to explain: it's because the English have a bit of an identity crisis; desperately want to celebrate their culture and history, they're just not sure they have any worth celebrating, or which won't offend anyone else. I think it says it all, when you oft. hear the question posed: 'What does it mean to be British?' = :ross: 'ing by the rest of the world. After all, if you can't even agree on what defines you, how the hell are you going to celebrate anything!?

The question about what it means to be British is quite different to what the English 'identity' is.

If by 'we' you mean the English, that's easy to explain: it's because the English have a bit of an identity crisis; desperately want to celebrate their culture and history, they're just not sure they have any worth celebrating, or which won't offend anyone else. I think it says it all, when you oft. hear the question posed: 'What does it mean to be British?' = :ross: 'ing by the rest of the world. After all, if you can't even agree on what defines you, how the hell are you going to celebrate anything!?

So, instead, just latch onto other cultures' celebrations like desperate parasites. Then complain, like jealous little bitches :-({|=

If you hate the English so much then may I suggest you get on a plane and fudge off to somewhere else? Oh and go and support a non-English football team too.

Do people who are coming out with the old line about 'not being able to celebrate St Georges Day' realise that there are St Georges Day parades around the country and that Trafalgar Square does also hold an event similar to the one at the weekend?

While it would be nice to get a bank holiday for St Georges Day I've always associated May Day as being the holiday where traditional music, dancing, village fetes etc were rolled out.

St Andrew's or St. David's Days aren't celebrated anything like St Patrick's day either.

While the celebration of St Patrick's day does have a historical significance, the current version seen across the UK is mostly a marketing campaign for Guinness.

It's a well known fact that large portions of the media, and the majority of the left wing political influences, purposely push down the signifance of St George's day in case it offends.

Back