• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Squad

So most people think LWF or CF are the only positions we could get an upgrade on what we currently have? (Assuming Son isn't playing the one if those above which you'd upgrade)

It just shows how well Ange and the players have started the season. No one really mentioning to upgrade CM with Sarr looking good as Bentancurs deputy or RB with Porro doing well.

What would you do at RB if Emerson wanted to leave in Jan? Would folks want an upgrade on Porro or on current form go for a younger back up RB with potential

So most people think LWF or CF are the only positions we could get an upgrade on what we currently have? (Assuming Son isn't playing the one if those above which you'd upgrade)

It just shows how well Ange and the players have started the season. No one really mentioning to upgrade CM with Sarr looking good as Bentancurs deputy or RB with Porro doing well.

What would you do at RB if Emerson wanted to leave in Jan? Would folks want an upgrade on Porro or on current form go for a younger back up RB with potential

Cm i think people are waiting for bentancur to come back.

Any position can be upgraded (i don't think we have the best player in the world for any position). It's just difficult to see who we could get.

Any position can be upgraded (i don't think we have the best player in the world for any position). It's just difficult to see who we could get.

Yeah that's what I mean, everyone is playing so well right now it's hard to think where you'd strengthen. But it must be possible, I'm sure Ange still has ideas of which of this 11 can be improved upon but its a nice feeling when you are happy on the whole with the starting line-up

Yeah that's what I mean, everyone is playing so well right now it's hard to think where you'd strengthen. But it must be possible, I'm sure Ange still has ideas of which of this 11 can be improved upon but its a nice feeling when you are happy on the whole with the starting line-up

Can all change pretty quickly if we have a few bad games though. Suddenly you see the faults. Lets hope that doesn't happen.

It's not about the best player in the world, it's about having a team that are greater than the sum of their parts. We had the best striker in the world for a few years and how did that turn out?

It's not about the best player in the world, it's about having a team that are greater than the sum of their parts. We had the best striker in the world for a few years and how did that turn out?

We all get that. But we're talking about how you would improve it? Lwf with maybe Kvaratskhelia or someone of that level? It is going to probably take a world class player to improve the starting XI. (The squad still needs work though).

Wide attacking roles for me. Kulusevski, Johnson, Solomon, Gil (possibly Sessegnon).

I think there's a possibility there of signing an upgrade that would be significant enough to be worth paying big money for.

Of course several of those could push on and make that less realistic. But even so it's an area where rotation, sub options, injuries etc means that there can be plenty of game time to go around.

In most other areas even if we spend big I struggle to see us getting a significant enough upgrade for it to be really worth it. Options, yes. Options with huge potential, yes. But improving the starting 11 elsewhere looks like a big ask right now at least.

One more point. If we're going to be serious about developing academy players and younger players we've signed that aren't first team ready that has to factor in when we're buying for the first team.

For roles where we have real talents in the ranks or even out on loan and a very good clear first choice I'm not sure it makes sense to spend big on a young or mid 20s first team player that will most likely block the path for the youngsters (the Chelsea approach to squad building).

I don't follow the youth teams as closely as some, but from what I understand we have real talent there now at CB and in midfield (particularly attacking mid and/or box to box). We also just spent real money on Veliz with Son and Richarlison already here.

If we're going to spend big on a first team player it makes more sense to spend it elsewhere.

One more point. If we're going to be serious about developing academy players and younger players we've signed that aren't first team ready that has to factor in when we're buying for the first team.

For roles where we have real talents in the ranks or even out on loan and a very good clear first choice I'm not sure it makes sense to spend big on a young or mid 20s first team player that will most likely block the path for the youngsters (the Chelsea approach to squad building).

I don't follow the youth teams as closely as some, but from what I understand we have real talent there now at CB and in midfield (particularly attacking mid and/or box to box). We also just spent real money on Veliz with Son and Richarlison already here.

If we're going to spend big on a first team player it makes more sense to spend it elsewhere.
I disagree
The key is signing those players
Selling them after 2 years of progress and back filling them with developed players from the youth

let’s pick on VDV. Brilliant player so far and long may that continue. If it does, he will be double his value to us

but if say… Philips develops as we hope, he may become as good.

Madrid come in for VDV and £100m, we sell and promote Philips

that’s a sensible strategy if your not owned by a country

I do agree short term we need invest on one or two big money players, like Arsenal have tried to do this summer to get “guaranteed” fixes.

I disagree
The key is signing those players
Selling them after 2 years of progress and back filling them with developed players from the youth

let’s pick on VDV. Brilliant player so far and long may that continue. If it does, he will be double his value to us

but if say… Philips develops as we hope, he may become as good.

Madrid come in for VDV and £100m, we sell and promote Philips

that’s a sensible strategy if your not owned by a country

I do agree short term we need invest on one or two big money players, like Arsenal have tried to do this summer to get “guaranteed” fixes.

I think our main plan should be to keep those players here. Get to a level where they're happy to sign new contracts like where we were under Pochettino for a while.

May have to sell some, that's probably inevitable. But that shouldn't be the main plan. Having the replacement ready in the squad if that happens it's obviously ideal, but someone like Phillips or Dorrington won't get to that point if their path is blocked by first team squad players.

If we end up with too many quality players as players develop that's a luxury problem we can deal with.

Those "guaranteed fixes" should primarily come in positions where we don't have outstanding young talent 1-2 years away from being ready for a starting spot.

Identifying who those outstanding talents are, who are good enough to warrant leaving a squad place open is a different question and one I can't answer.

I think our main plan should be to keep those players here. Get to a level where they're happy to sign new contracts like where we were under Pochettino for a while.

May have to sell some, that's probably inevitable. But that shouldn't be the main plan. Having the replacement ready in the squad if that happens it's obviously ideal, but someone like Phillips or Dorrington won't get to that point if their path is blocked by first team squad players.

If we end up with too many quality players as players develop that's a luxury problem we can deal with.

Those "guaranteed fixes" should primarily come in positions where we don't have outstanding young talent 1-2 years away from being ready for a starting spot.

Identifying who those outstanding talents are, who are good enough to warrant leaving a squad place open is a different question and one I can't answer.
Hey that’s not our job :)
But one challenge is we will never know until we do it

Hey that’s not our job :)
But one challenge is we will never know until we do it

Liked what Ange said about trusting young players early and the best will shine through.

Will be interesting to see if some of those players currently doing really well for the reserves get a chance at some point in the league this season.

seeing the youth come through this season is going to be somewhat tough. If you think about it he has already promoted a few players that were not getting a chance. And its 6 games in but they are all still learning. No Europe and no Milk cup. So lets hope some make it to the bench. Then get to cameo a bit.

We would probably want to give the first team half a season to a season before bringing in the youngsters.

Let them join in with a settled team so they have the best chance to impress.

seeing the youth come through this season is going to be somewhat tough. If you think about it he has already promoted a few players that were not getting a chance. And its 6 games in but they are all still learning. No Europe and no Milk cup. So lets hope some make it to the bench. Then get to cameo a bit.

Veliz is about the only one i'd expect to get game time this season.

Back