• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

He seems to have stopped shooting from outside the box now
Want him to start taking a few more risks
Wasn't as clinical yesterday as usual but still bagged a massively important winner
There were a couple of moments when he definitely wanted to. I specifically remember one at the end of the first half where he was trying to fashion some space for the shot and he ended up over dribbling and lost it and there were a couple of occasions in the 2nd where the same thing happened so I don't think he's unwilling, just struggling to find the space to do so.

Again I agree.

But Son isn't scoring the tap ins we are laying on for a 9 because he's in the wrong place, he actually holds on the edge of the box when we are breaking, rather than positioning himself around the 6.

It's not about Son, it's about the way we play, this system needs a proper 9, he ain't it. A lesser player, doing different things, may score more goals.
this system needs to change. son is top class but is angeball? we need set up and shoot from outside the box more. son can score from inside and outside the box ( and so can kulusevski). Son will score twice more if ange varies play a bit more.

Again I agree.

But Son isn't scoring the tap ins we are laying on for a 9 because he's in the wrong place, he actually holds on the edge of the box when we are breaking, rather than positioning himself around the 6.

It's not about Son, it's about the way we play, this system needs a proper 9, he ain't it. A lesser player, doing different things, may score more goals.
Then other players have to take those positions. Son plays to his strengths, and so should the rest of the team. If Son was asked to change how he plays, he'd be a lesser player, and less effective.

Then other players have to take those positions. Son plays to his strengths, and so should the rest of the team. If Son was asked to change how he plays, he'd be a lesser player, and less effective.

It’s the centre forwards job.

Who should be in the 6 yard box instead?

Maddison, VDV, Vicario?

Maddison, VDV, Vicario?
YES! I had an epiphany last night, Maddison is the free floating 10, he should be dovetailing with Sonny to do the opposite i.e. one goes in tight and one goes to the pen spot.

Madders can roam and pop up and do what he wants.
If Bellingham and Lampard and [Gallagher when he was at Palace] and others can arrive into the box and tap it in from 6 yards, Madders definitely can.
In fact, he did just that a couple of weeks ago when Sarr screamed a cross into the corridor of uncertainty.

Maddison, VDV, Vicario?
That would depend on the situation! In established attack, opposite movement is very effective, so Son moving outward and whoever is in a position to move into a dangerous area, where the ball is likely to end up, moves there, in opposite direction of the forward, or whoever is/was in that position.

In transition it's a totally different matter. Then the forward should move to whatever scoring position he's likely to receive the ball.

Maddison, VDV, Vicario?
Messi has scored over 800 goals yet he's rarely ever in the Penalty box, especially at the start of attacking moves. Depending on your playstyle a number of players can rotate into the attacking space.

Messi has scored over 800 goals yet he's rarely ever in the Penalty box, especially at the start of attacking moves. Depending on your playstyle a number of players can rotate into the attacking space.

I completely agree, but our system is built around getting low crosses across the face of goal.

That’s where I our CF needs to be.

I’ve read some crazy, crackpot suggestions in this place but dropping Son because he doesn’t get in the 6 yard box is the best yet. What’s next? Sell VDV and Romero and resign Dier and Sanchez….

I completely agree, but our system is built around getting low crosses across the face of goal.

That’s where I our CF needs to be.
Barcelona in their prime played the same way. It was even a meme "Pro Evo goals". So again I'll say the same thing you can score a ton of goals from low passes into the box without having a CF, or by having a very mobile CF. The system just has to compensate with movement, there's a reason Messi was also the top assister, because his teammates would move into the space he vacated (along with his ridiculous creativity 😅).

Barcelona in their prime played the same way. It was even a meme "Pro Evo goals". So again I'll say the same thing you can score a ton of goals from low passes into the box without having a CF, or by having a very mobile CF. The system just has to compensate with movement, there's a reason Messi was also the top assister, because his teammates would move into the space he vacated (along with his ridiculous creativity 😅).

You can, if your system is setup that way, ours isn’t.

It’s not about what’s possible, it’s about what Ange is instructing them to do, we play so many balls across empty boxes that it must be tactical and an assignment being dropped somewhere.

You can, if your system is setup that way, ours isn’t.

It’s not about what’s possible, it’s about what Ange is instructing them to do, we play so many balls across empty boxes that it must be tactical and an assignment being dropped somewhere.
It’s because we don’t have a cf
Neither Richy or son have been CFs until late in their career

Not a centre forward. Would love to sign a decent striker so Son can go back on the left.

He can get away with it if we play quick fluid football but we don't

Maybe he needs a break. Come on from the bench. Well I guess the team have 2 weeks to get their act together.

He's been really poor for a while now. Needs to move to the left or be dropped.
Hopefully Richy is back soon and we can get him up front.

Not a centre forward. Would love to sign a decent striker so Son can go back on the left.

He can get away with it if we play quick fluid football but we don't
Thing is, and this isn't based on todays terrible display I'm not sure how much longer he will feasibly be a first team starter for us under Ange.

He definitely isn't a CF, and even on the left these days he is nowhere near what he used to be. Earlier in the season he had a lot of anonymous displays on the left - He's lost a bit of pace, and Ange likes his wingers to play in a way that doesn't particular suit his style.

Not writing him off as a player at all, and yes we all know he's still scoring goals to a decent number. But if Ange is here for the long haul, I'd question for how long he remains in his plans for the first eleven....

Back