• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So why the Big Turnaround ?

We've had no less games - the Christmas programme, Burnley replay, Saudi Sportswashing Machine ¼ final and Sheff U semis have more than filled those spots.

The 7 days between Liverpool and Fiorentina will be the longest break we've had in ages

But no international flights. Granted the games have come thick and fast, but it's one thing having to drive/fly up North a few hours compared to flying to the arse end of nowhere in Russia to play on a plastic pitch.

We've had no less games - the Christmas programme, Burnley replay, Saudi Sportswashing Machine ¼ final and Sheff U semis have more than filled those spots.

The 7 days between Liverpool and Fiorentina will be the longest break we've had in ages

True. But in the Christmas program other teams have been seeing similar fixture pile-ups. Relatively speaking that's an advantage for us.

Good work over years in our academy and development setup allowing us to bring through players like Bentaleb, Mason, Kane etc.

Good work this summer in the transfer market bringing in players that fit the system.

Work over time from Poch to instill a system.

Way too simplistic to try to put this on a single incident like Ade saying something (imo silly) to the press. It's a result of good work over time at many levels.

Steady on old boy! Way, way, WAY too simplistic to suggest anyone was trying to do that! ;)

If you are referring to my op here's what I actually said:

Of course there are a number of well-documented theories as to what has brought about our transformation. One is Poch's alleged behind-the-scenes showdown with the players, some of whom either would not or could not hack his double training sessions and the high-pressing game he wanted to install.

Another is the brilliant emergence of Harry Kane and the way his passionate persona has reconnected the team with the fans.

But I cannot help wondering to what extent the steady improvement in the atmosphere owes something to Adebayor's outspoken comments? ...

Ades comment raised the issue (again), and pairing that with the results and performances, I think it made some people actually reflect on how the atmosphere has been in recent time, thus making people realize that a better atmosphere might make a better team. It certainly hasn't been harmful.

I think that if Ade had any part in our improvement it was the training ground bust up that lead to him, Kaboul and Capoue losing their places and being replaced by players better suited to Poch's preferred style of play.

I think that if Ade had any part in our improvement it was the training ground bust up that lead to him, Kaboul and Capoue losing their places and being replaced by players better suited to Poch's preferred style of play.
So maybe we should thank him for being a massive clam then

I think the main reason for our upturn in fortunes is Capoue no longer being in the team.... He just seemed to be the complete opposite type of player for what Pochettino wants his teams to do. He slowed everything down when we had possession so that the opposition could regroup and then completely went missing when the opposition got the ball. Whoever it was that wanted to sign him for Spurs should be shot

Of course there is also an element of us being fitter, more used to the playing style, Kane instead of Ade, anyone instead of Kaboul, a proper right back in the team again, etc.... But I think the main reason is taking a single player out of our team who caused the whole system to collapse. I was concerned earlier this season at how long it took for the manager to jettison Capoue, but thankfully he did eventually and we're now looking much more compact without the ball and much quicker and more purposeful when in possession of it.

I think the main reason for our upturn in fortunes is Capoue no longer being in the team.... He just seemed to be the complete opposite type of player for what Pochettino wants his teams to do. He slowed everything down when we had possession so that the opposition could regroup and then completely went missing when the opposition got the ball. Whoever it was that wanted to sign him for Spurs should be shot

Of course there is also an element of us being fitter, more used to the playing style, Kane instead of Ade, anyone instead of Kaboul, a proper right back in the team again, etc.... But I think the main reason is taking a single player out of our team who caused the whole system to collapse. I was concerned earlier this season at how long it took for the manager to jettison Capoue, but thankfully he did eventually and we're now looking much more compact without the ball and much quicker and more purposeful when in possession of it.

I don't .. Capoue is poor (for this team), but individually he wasn't the issue

It's really a spine of Lloris - Vert/Fazio(Dier) - Bentaleb - Kane vs.
a spine that was Lloris - Kaboul/Anyone - Capoue - Ade

Simple better defensively (in air especially), recycle the ball quickly, higher workrate, more threat

Steady on old boy! Way, way, WAY too simplistic to suggest anyone was trying to do that! ;)

If you are referring to my op here's what I actually said:

Of course there are a number of well-documented theories as to what has brought about our transformation. One is Poch's alleged behind-the-scenes showdown with the players, some of whom either would not or could not hack his double training sessions and the high-pressing game he wanted to install.

Another is the brilliant emergence of Harry Kane and the way his passionate persona has reconnected the team with the fans.

But I cannot help wondering to what extent the steady improvement in the atmosphere owes something to Adebayor's outspoken comments? ...

Hehe, excellent reply :)

Sorry if I sounded insulting towards you mate, not my intention.

I just think the improvements have been coming (certainly been involved in enough discussion claiming so on here in recent months) and that the credit is due to those that have been working hard over time to make that happen. Not to a throwaway comment from one player that may or may not have had a positive impact, and might just as easily have had a negative impact.

Hehe, excellent reply :)

Sorry if I sounded insulting towards you mate, not my intention.

I just think the improvements have been coming (certainly been involved in enough discussion claiming so on here in recent months) and that the credit is due to those that have been working hard over time to make that happen. Not to a throwaway comment from one player that may or may not have had a positive impact, and might just as easily have had a negative impact.

Rest assured my friend, it never for one moment occurred to me your comment was anything other than totally respectful. ;)

You're quite right, of course, it's abundantly clear that the overall improvement has been principally down to sheer hard work all round - plus a hefty slice of outstanding man-management

Still think Ade's comments were taken to heart by the majority of fans who determined they'd show just how much they support the team. As to the extent that positively impacted on team morale is maybe something we'll have to agree to differ on. Wouldn't have done any harm, that's for sure.

Last edited:
I think it was important to get a few 'lucky' wins earlier on (Villa away springs to mind) to give Poch some breathing space. I was worried that if we got too many bad results, Levy would pull the trigger and we'd get Pulis or someone in. Thankfully, we picked up enough points and now some more time has rolled by, we are starting to see some quality performances with a real difference in how the team plays s a unit. We now just need consistency, which will take more time (and probably better squad replacements for the core that has emerged under Poch).

I think it was important to get a few 'lucky' wins earlier on (Villa away springs to mind) to give Poch some breathing space. I was worried that if we got too many bad results, Levy would pull the trigger and we'd get Pulis or someone in. Thankfully, we picked up enough points and now some more time has rolled by, we are starting to see some quality performances with a real difference in how the team plays s a unit. We now just need consistency, which will take more time (and probably better squad replacements for the core that has emerged under Poch).

A decent, and interesting, POV I hadn't considered. But makes a lot of sense.

Return of Kyle Walker helped balance the team a lot IMO.
Agreed. I think we were desperate for Walker to come back. Naughton was never anywhere near good enough. Walker also has a determination and drive about him, I think all teams need at least one player who always seem to do their very best to win football games. Also, I agree that he brings balance, and I think he's a vastly underrated footballer. 7/8 won with him in the team so far.

wasn't it discussed on here before that it would take something like 20 games before an upswing in performance a la southampton ? looks like its going well so far. if southampton this year is any indication of what we could do next year.....

wasn't it discussed on here before that it would take something like 20 games before an upswing in performance a la southampton ? looks like its going well so far. if southampton this year is any indication of what we could do next year.....

I did point out, repeatedly, that Poch was getting significantly better results in his first full season after that first half a season to settle in.

You never quiet know how long these things take in advance. I know if I did I could probably make tons of money off betting, and I don't think I can.

At least it now seems clear to just about everyone that at least there's progress. Not that long ago that would have been a much debated statement.

2) Kane's confidence. It was the Asteras game on 23 October that was the big moment with that for me. The hattrick and then going in goal created a cult hero that night, and he's had momentum ever since.

With his dream of being a goalkeeper shattered, he had no choice but to concentrate on the goalscoring.

Back