• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So many areas of concern --where to start?

NYSpur

Andy Gray
A three match winning run that ends in defeat is not normally the time for expressing real concerns about the future of a team, but I have a bad feeling about where we are heading now. I don't think that I am alone in viewing our recent run as fortuitous and there appears to be numerous areas where we are vulnerable with issues both on and off the pitch. Whatever one thinks of Daniel Levy, I really wonder where you begin now to try to address them:

1. Our "system" or "philosophy" doesn't work

I have lost count of the number of times that we defensively collapse after we lose the ball in the opposing teams half. The pushing up of the full backs continually leaves us vulnerable to the counter often with dire consequences. Today is a microcosm of what we see in pretty much every game. Second goal has Rose pushing up , by-passing Moses who then can break. I am not seeing the benefit from playing full backs as auxillary wingers when compared to the issues it creates at the defensive end. It seems like MoPo is praying that we suddenly morph into the Soton pressing team that he had last year but there is no sign of that happening. Instead, we end up repeatedly having our lumbering centre backs being isolated against attackers. We see it against weaker teams such as Asteras but we keep playing the same way until we are behind and then we start thrashing around with different approaches with more forwards. Only against Arsenal did our philosophy change and it almost paid dividends. I fear that if we do not change more heartache is bound to follow. The number of red cards this season bespeaks of a defense and system that is just not working.

2. Our player recruitment has been risible for the last two years

There has been an alarming decline in quality in the squad that shows no sign of abating. The player turnover has been enormous and I see very little that is for the better. I have picture of the group that was around when Under Armour took over. Of them, the ones left are Lennon, Rose, Walker and Friedel. Gone are the likes of Bale, Modric, Van Der Vaart. We know that some sales are unavoidable, but the overall approach taken has gutted the squad, replacing experienced Premier League players with foreign ""buy 6 of these because they are available" approach which has led to an unbalanced squad. Again. The problem with buying only players of potential is that you lose a bedrock of those that have shown they can play well consistently in the league. If this is Baldini's doing then he should be gone. We have spent the money just not on the right combination of players. Again. But it isn't just technical ability that has been lost:

3. Lack of a winning mentality

We have looked like a demoralized group for the last year and a half and it seems to be getting worse. We have lost seasoned pros who know what is needed in the EPL and have not replaced them. MoPo must have looked at the group when he was searching for a captain and despaired. Even so, his selection of Kaboul remains mystfying given his performances. He is trying, but how often is he charging up the field to no good effect these days. In addition, I really feel that the players have lost faith in the system that we are playing and that this is feeding into a loss of fight. Why fight when the system ultimately dooms you?

What to do? I would be having crisis talks now. There are no easy games in the EPL and the longer we persist in playing in a way that has failed, the worse it will be. QPR changed the way they played, why can't we? I would be changing the way we play and abandoning any pretense of the (non-existent) high press and high line approach. If we ever have a group of players for whom it could work, use it again, but its doesn't work with the players we have. Find a way to use the width by abandoning the inverted wingers. It is no use complaining about the size of the pitch when you don't use the width that is available. Buy a couple of experienced heads in January to try to steady the ship.

It is not all bad news. Kane and Mason have been positive influences in difficult circumstances. However, given how tight the league is, imho action is needed now to avoid a steady drift downward.

But as the full backs push the dm and cm should be dropping back and they aren't. How many times are teams breaking into us ands it's just two CBs in the middle and a some others trotting back behind the play.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

We are currently going into matches without a central midfield. If you do that you will lose. We have to go into games with a central midfield.

I know our defenders are rubbish, our attackers can't score - but if we had a central midfield it would help at both ends of the park.

That would be my priority. That we go into matches without a central midfield absolutely astonishes me.

Get our defending sorted out first. That's always the place to start. We are not gonna win many football matches when we simply cannot defend as a team or as individuals. We don't have the best defenders in the world, but at least try to sort out the organisation, how to defend as a unit, and teach players a thing or two about basic defending like not rushing out of defence before we actually have the ball under control (Rose and Kaboul second goal today).

2 of the 3 items the OP started with are directly related to coach

The last is questionable as I really wouldn't describe the quality of squad as alarmingly below previous squads ( we do lack WC individuals)

The problem is Poch, the problem is us/Levy/Club believing this narrow midfield/FB providing width/possession & high line based game is the future.

Our best period in the PL was with 2 out and out traditional wingers, pace and ability to hurt on counter.

2 of the 3 items the OP started with are directly related to coach

The last is questionable as I really wouldn't describe the quality of squad as alarmingly below previous squads ( we do lack WC individuals)

The problem is Poch, the problem is us/Levy/Club believing this narrow midfield/FB providing width/possession & high line based game is the future.

Our best period in the PL was with 2 out and out traditional wingers, pace and ability to hurt on counter.

in a team tha consisted of Lennon, Bale, Modric, Parker, Sandro, VDV, Adebayor, King, Ekotto etc.

Watch back any game this season and count how many times the two deep midfielders who pick up the ball have their arms out asking for the the wingers, full backs and the number 10 position to move or come closer to pick up the ball.

This hasnt improved since the first game of the season, we have a centre midfield that doesnt have any option infront of it, so they go back to the defence then back to the midfield this gives the opposition time to reorganise themselves thats why we cant break teams down we are so static up front. I blame AVB for this he's programmed the players and they cant lose his instructions.

A striker who can score goals, from watching football for years through the divisions, teams that have a regular scorer can mask so many other faults and give a team a lift. We do not have enough goals in us and the team no this, the defenders become nervous because we concede one goal and it is all over as they do not think we can get two goals back.

Get someone who can score and it would give the whole team a bit of confidence.

Personally I think the player recruitment is the main one. We've taken a bit of a scattergun approach to unproven foreign players with potential, and our four biggest signings during the period of losing Bale, Modric, VDV and King have been Dembele, Paulinho, Lamela and Soldado - all of whom have been disappointing, 3 of them diabolically so to date.

Honestly though, I think the moment Chelsea won the Champions League in 2012 we were always going to go into an unavoidable negative spiral -the ensuing mixture of a huge psychological blow (again!), [ii] the loss of our top players and [iii] the loss of our most successful manager in recent history. Then [iv] the expectations of the club and fans have remained just as high since then despite those setbacks, which has created an environment to which [v] the hiring of multiple young and unproven managers and [vi] the purchase of far too many foreign and unproven players was not well suited.

I am starting to really think we could be relegation contenders. I feel ridiculous saying it but I see a side that could easily fold mentally if we get dragged further down the table. We are a good chunk into the season now so I don't think this is a knee jerk. Every time I think there are some green shoots of recovery we put in another woeful performance. Clearly, a number of players are under performing but a significant part of the blame must go to the manager. He is, so far, making too many lame excuses for the sides' terrible performances. I am sick and tired of hearing the same old 'Thursday-Sunday' claim all the time. We have a big enough squad that we shouldn't lose every league game following Europa. I am not amused at the subtle blaming of the fans, either. So the fans are pressuring you to play the home grown players, are they? How about you grow a pair and play the best side - you're the manager and it's your job to send out teams to win games. If the team does win games then the fans will back you, home grown players or not. Criticism of the players' mentality is another poor excuse - isn't it up to the manager to instill the right mentality into them? I also don't like the claim that there is too much expectation/ not enough noise at WHL and this outs the players under pressure and hinders their performance. Maybe it does increase the pressure but these guys are PL footballers and dealing with that is part and parcel of their working lives. Anyway, it is a two-way street - just as the fans can inspire players it works the other way around, too. I seem to recall that having 75,000 silent Londoners at Old Trafford didn't stop Utd winning everything for twenty odd years, so are the fans really that important? Finally, my thoughts turn to the much-mocked Sherwood. Now that Pochettino's frailties are being ruthless exploited by opposing teams, is it time to re-assess Timmy? Was he really that bad? Poch inherited the same squad, after all.

I think it is going to be a long, hard winter.

We have talented players.

Poch has fallen into the trap of not sticking to or not knowing his best side. Then having to play two teams dilutes his work improving a team.

The third key thing: set the team up to be tight at the back. A team needs that foundation to build upon.

It's no real surprise we have ended up where we are. Poor decisions here and there, across a number of aspects of the club, over several seasons have brought us to this worrying position.

There are so many factors involved that it is very difficult to see how we are going to sort it out. We need better players/manager/ and scouting and we need to make sure that if a manager can't get the player he wants then he gets something similar, and when he wants it, not a season later.

As we stand, judging Poch by his decisions so far, and the players by their performances under Poch, I don't any reason why, with the existing set up, there would be a major turnaround in results.

-- things could change under a new manager - or possibly with different players -but not as we are at present.

Get our defending sorted out first. That's always the place to start. We are not gonna win many football matches when we simply cannot defend as a team or as individuals. We don't have the best defenders in the world, but at least try to sort out the organisation, how to defend as a unit, and teach players a thing or two about basic defending like not rushing out of defence before we actually have the ball under control (Rose and Kaboul second goal today).

Agreed. And considering how poorly we seem to respond to conceding we can't really afford to play games that are all that open.

Needs to start with the front 4. I thought that was what Poch did at halftime today by bringing on Dembele in one of the attacking midfield positions. Gave us more running and effort in the front 4 at least, despite his weaknesses.

I think we need a front 4 with a bit more running, even if it means sacrificing some of our creativity/skill.

Agreed. And considering how poorly we seem to respond to conceding we can't really afford to play games that are all that open.

Needs to start with the front 4. I thought that was what Poch did at halftime today by bringing on Dembele in one of the attacking midfield positions. Gave us more running and effort in the front 4 at least, despite his weaknesses.

I think we need a front 4 with a bit more running, even if it means sacrificing some of our creativity/skill.

Sorry mate, if Poch thinks Dembele is the answer to anything other than brainless football I have even more concerns about him.

Im worried that poch wont be able to turn this round. To turn it round a la qpr first requires an admission that the system you want the players to play does not work with the current set of players. Does Poch have that in him? Did avb have it in him?

There is no magic wand here- it takes work and application, and first and foremost we need to cut out the defensive errors and be tighter at the back. Has poch got that in him. Im not sure which is worrying!

I can actually forsee a situation of someone like tony pulis coming in and organising the defence properly but the longer we go on like this the less tenable pochs position becomes.

Pulis would be a better option .. is Fat Spanish Waiter working?

The PL requires experience, manage the players, mange the media, manage the expectations, dealing with the inevitable poor runs.

Back