• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Sky Box

southstand1882

Mitchell Thomas
I have a Sky+ HD box. Just the standard one, not the one with the big hard disk.

Is it just me, or is the box really flaky?

I regularly have the following problems:

- When fast forwarding a recorded programme at x30 speed, when you press play, the sound is gone (you have to switch channels, then go back into planner to resume)
- Complete loss of sound. Sometimes the box just refuses to output any sound at all. (I have to the turn the box off completely and reboot)
- Slow TV Guide. Navigating the planner is painfully slow.

Anybody else get this, or have I just got a brick box?

Sounds like your box is faulty. But don't let them mug you off. Ask them to come round and fix it or replace. If they tell you it will cost money to send an engineer out just say your not paying or threaten to leave Sky, that's what I did.

The boxes are all brick. If you claim a replacement under warranty from Sky, they replace it with a reconditioned box - which is also brick. It takes about 6 swaps until you get one that is least bad, which you then put up with. They are tossers. The boxes are 2003 technology and still use the old HDMI standards which cant even output 5.1 Dolby (so you have to use an optic audio cable as well -the only piece of equipment I won which still has this limitation). Utter brick service.

Similar things happen on my satellite HD decoder down here

I think their software still needs a good 4-5 years of ironing out all little bugs.

Try a forced software update.....

Power off at mains
Hold down back up buttom on front of box
Power back on at mains
When download message appears on screen, let go of back up button.

I get the same problems.

Lag between channel change
slipping between channel look up lags
sometimes a channel is blue screen and I have to go up and down the channels to get it going again
Sound out of sync with picture

mine is 3 years old now and I would love to get the one with the bigger hard drive as im always having to delete things as i record a lot of HD.

What is their policy on the bigger version? you have to be a new customer i bet? if so i might call and cancel and switch to Virgin or something, although I would miss Sky atlantic :(

My sky plus HD box has been in my attic at home for the last 2 years and has given me no problems in that time whatsoever
My cable box in Bermuda - despite not being a satellite receiver, having nothing to do with Sky or its service has also been faultless

Despite being totally pointless and irrelevant, I thought I'd post anyway - as I wanted to see what it felt like to needlessly post on every thread, irrespective of whether I can possibly add value to the thread or not.

Hopefully, having a massive post count will make everyone think that I am valuable to the board, have a profound knowledge of football and have everyone believe that I am an intellectual, with an amazing sexual technique.

Please don't comment or take the tinkle out of me, or I will report you to the board moderators

As well as being a trivial and annoying poster, I also want to become a whiney little taco who grasses up other posters, for not being in awe of me.

Can't stay, as I have to get my post count up on gooner message boards.

My sky plus HD box has been in my attic at home for the last 2 years and has given me no problems in that time whatsoever
My cable box in Bermuda - despite not being a satellite receiver, having nothing to do with Sky or its service has also been faultless

Despite being totally pointless and irrelevant, I thought I'd post anyway - as I wanted to see what it felt like to needlessly post on every thread, irrespective of whether I can possibly add value to the thread or not.

Hopefully, having a massive post count will make everyone think that I am valuable to the board, have a profound knowledge of football and have everyone believe that I am an intellectual, with an amazing sexual technique.

Please don't comment or take the tinkle out of me, or I will report you to the board moderators

As well as being a trivial and annoying poster, I also want to become a whiney little taco who grasses up other posters, for not being in awe of me.

That's torn it!:-"

Who's upset Mick?

Come on, own up

Who's upset Mick?

Come on, own up

no -one.

You poke fun at me in your way.......
I poke fun at who I want, in my own manner and style.

But you are right though, those sky boxes are riddled with software bugs, the one in my attic was a replacement, as my original machine kept failing to work, or locking up.

Back