• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Should we be spending £30m on a player from Serie A?

Big difference in my opinion, is that Chelsea can afford to blow £60m on players and have them flop. We can't.

If Lamela flops, i'm pretty sure he'll still be young enough that we'll make most if not all of our money back on him selling him on.

Good post, I assume this is a big Franco deal, didn't he also sign him for Roma? He knows the player, knows what he can do, once AVB gives him the same treatment he gave Bale last season I am hopeful of big things.

Should we spend anything on anyone, because there is a risk of the player flopping?

Maybe I read it wrong, but the OP is questioning whether it's wise to spend £30m on a player from Serie A. If Lamela cost £10m I don't think he'd have written his post. I don't think Capoue cost even £10m did he? Same applies to Chadli who for me doesn't look amazing so far but is certainly worth a punt.

In these cases I agree that trusting Baldini is all we can do. In the case of our other two high profile high cost transfers, it's so far so good and I think we can all agree we'd like that trend to continue!

Yes, that's the question he answered in the thread title. And that's the question I answered in the first line in my post and I then followed it up with some reasoning.

Big difference in my opinion, is that Chelsea can afford to blow £60m on players and have them flop. We can't.

There's a risk with every transfer. Regardless of fee, player, league, club and everything.

There's a risk with every transfer. Regardless of fee, player, league, club and everything.

Agreed, but there are varying degrees of risk dependant on other factors surely? The less you spread the risk, the riskier the signings become.

I expect a lot more out of a £30m player in terms of performance than a £10m player. A £30m player has to be able to make an immediate impact.

I think the bigger question is whether £30m is too much to spend on a young guy who to date has only had one good season. His early stats aren't fantastic (25 goals in 102 games) but of course he's young and will hopefully improve. Spending similar money on Soldado, who has been prolific throughout his career and is on the back of three/four consistently excellent seasons is a no brainer, but this to me seems more of a gamble on Lamela. I hope it pays off.

Agreed, but there are varying degrees of risk dependant on other factors surely? The less you spread the risk, the riskier the signings become.

I expect a lot more out of a £30m player in terms of performance than a £10m player. A £30m player has to be able to make an immediate impact.

Yes, obviously the risk varies.

What are you arguing? That we shouldn't make a £30m signing at this point? Or that we should be making a different £30m signing?

Yes, obviously the risk varies.

What are you arguing? That we shouldn't make a £30m signing at this point? Or that we should be making a different £30m signing?

I am not arguing. I am discussing.

My point has already been covered by the OP, and Klinsmania above.

I am not adverse to signing Lamela, but I share the concerns of the OP that big money signings out of Italy haven't fared well recently and that £30m is a lot of money to spend on essentially an unproven player. However, as I also stated in the second post of this thread with Bale going it's a risk we have to take. We don't have the sufficient quality (although Chadli and Townsend, on the right, may prove me wrong) in the wide areas or the number 10 position yet in my opinion. We need quality in those positions and quality costs money unless you spot them very young or buy a player who hasn't played that role before and place them there.

I think the bigger question is whether £30m is too much to spend on a young guy who to date has only had one good season. His early stats aren't fantastic (25 goals in 102 games) but of course he's young and will hopefully improve. Spending similar money on Soldado, who has been prolific throughout his career and is on the back of three/four consistently excellent seasons is a no brainer, but this to me seems more of a gamble on Lamela. I hope it pays off.

However there is almost no chance we will recoup the fee for Soldado. If Lamela is successful and ends up like Bale we could double our money and also enjoy his services for a lot longer if we do not sell. Depends what you think of as a "gamble".

Positives and negatives about both deals.

The age thing is clearly a negative about the Soldado deal and a positive about the (potential) Lamela deal for example. Both players have only proven themselves in leagues quite different from the PL.

We need an attacking midfielder or two. Soldado was available for that price and is proven over many years. I can't think of a "Bale replacement" attacking midfielder that is proven over many years and at the level we need that is available right now.

Yes it's a bit of a gamble, but the kind of gamble we should be making considering the funds we have available right now. It's not like we're putting all our eggs in the Lamela basket hoping that he will become an instant superstar and save us. We have a very good team that we're adding to.

I have not seen Lamela play, and to be honest hadn't even heard of him until we started being linked with him a couple of weeks ago. Whether he is the right signing, who knows? Whether he is too expensive, who knows? I hope he's given a chance to show what he can do, and if he doesn't hit the ground running I hope the fans will be patient with him. It might turn out that we have ourselves a bargain, but only time will tell.

that GHod we didn't sign Van Nistelrooy and concentrated or realistic targets like Ronaldinho

lucky Pleat turned down Zidane too - wooden player in a **** league

I am not arguing. I am discussing.

My point has already been covered by the OP, and Klinsmania above.

I am not adverse to signing Lamela, but I share the concerns of the OP that big money signings out of Italy haven't fared well recently and that £30m is a lot of money to spend on essentially an unproven player. However, as I also stated in the second post of this thread with Bale going it's a risk we have to take. We don't have the sufficient quality (although Chadli and Townsend, on the right, may prove me wrong) in the wide areas or the number 10 position yet in my opinion. We need quality in those positions and quality costs money unless you spot them very young or buy a player who hasn't played that role before and place them there.

---------------Completely O/T------------------------
ar·gue
1. give reasons or cite evidence in support of an idea, action, or theory, typically with the aim of persuading others to share one's view.
2. exchange or express diverging or opposite views, typically in a heated or angry way.

Just to be clear I was using the word as in the first of those, not saying that you're arguing as in the second of those.
------------------------------------------------------

I was just trying to get you to clarify your opinion. If you have no opinion either way on the question asked in the thread title then fair enough.

---------------Completely O/T------------------------
ar·gue
1. give reasons or cite evidence in support of an idea, action, or theory, typically with the aim of persuading others to share one's view.
2. exchange or express diverging or opposite views, typically in a heated or angry way.

Just to be clear I was using the word as in the first of those, not saying that you're arguing as in the second of those.
------------------------------------------------------

I was just trying to get you to clarify your opinion. If you have no opinion either way on the question asked in the thread title then fair enough.

I have already stated that I think it's worth the risk, but I am very nervous about spending £30m on a player that isn't proven over a number of seasons in a competitive league. I think the OP's observation on Italian football is very astute and not something I had really considered before.

I think the piece you are not taking into your equation is, the best players in Serie A in the past went to Spain, not England

Go look at the big money signings that went from Italy -> Spain, is the story the same?

Kaka, Ibrahimovic, Cannavaro, Milito, Marco Di Vaio, Cassano...

Yes!

The OP is the best post I have read on here so far. Absolutely superb. Well thought out constructed point, rather than an emotional response based on hope or an irrational dislike of a player. Fantastic post, well done!

You read it all! Well done!

Well a few months ago there was a serious debate on here over whether to bring in Nani, Valencia or Ben Arfa. I'm glad our club's recruitment is now broader.
We can't compete with other clubs in the Premier League for Premier League players because they'll pay twice the wage.

Back