• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Should we be spending £30m on a player from Serie A?

Well a few months ago there was a serious debate on here over whether to bring in Nani, Valencia or Ben Arfa. I'm glad our club's recruitment is now broader.
We can't compete with other clubs in the Premier League for Premier League players because they'll pay twice the wage.

And we are actively dealing with the home grown rule which will become more of an issue as the years pass.

whats with the multiple paragraphs..

TraceyBacksOutSlowly.gif
:ross:

If Lamela flops, i'm pretty sure he'll still be young enough that we'll make most if not all of our money back on him selling him on.

No chance. If he flops we'll be lucky to get £10m back. No way anyone is going to buy him for £30m if he doesn't succeed here.

And we are actively dealing with the home grown rule which will become more of an issue as the years pass.

Its a complete non issue that people are making a huge deal about. We don't need 25 players in a squad. We can easily play 11 non players and have 6 non grown subs without it being an issue.
Here's last season's squad lists http://www.premierleague.com/conten...ons/squad-lists/squad-lists-February-2013.pdf
United had 23 in their squad, City 22, Chelsea 21 and Arsenal 22. Why is it a crisis if we don't have 25?

When you know the raw ingredients are there - yes.

It takes sometime to learn a new language and settle. But in time, technical ability, past showings (he can perform) and physical attributes mean he will come good.

What summed up Lamela today for me was the free kick Holtby won at the end of the game. Lamela and Holtby were having a conversation about who should take it and then Walker ran in and took the ball. It was in prime Lamela free kick area (Bale range last season). Lamela ended up leaving it and Holtby and Walker stood over it. Holtby took it and it was ****.

Eriksen was taking free kicks in his first game for us. Whereas Lamela hasnt settled yet. He isn't confident enough to demand a free kicks when he's the best free taker on the pitch. Obviously the language barrier is huge and he'll take much longer than was hoped to settle.

I agree - cant believe people are having a go at the lad. Ive not been too impressed with him but also understand that it can be difficult for him and will take time - Like I have said - he will take the longest to settle and wont be till next season when we will see him shine.

Maybe we should send him out on loan to a Championship side......, oh wait!?

We need to be patient, as I see greatness and talent oozing out of our Erik! A few EPL cameos and some cup appearances and some of us are already writing him off - oh, my days, what is this forum turning into?

Still, going after the lad that is yet to start a PL game for us seems at least worthy a nomination in my book.

I think you're over reacting and worse you appear to be extremely defensive about a fan daring to question a player's performance or long term viability. Surely this is a discussion forum where opinions matter?

Maybe we should send him out on loan to a Championship side......, oh wait!?

We need to be patient, as I see greatness and talent oozing out of our Erik! A few EPL cameos and some cup appearances and some of us are already writing him off - oh, my days, what is this forum turning into?

Please can you name someone who has written him off?

I think you're over reacting and worse you appear to be extremely defensive about a fan daring to question a player's performance or long term viability. Surely this is a discussion forum where opinions matter?

Would you rather I stated that it's my opinion that his opinion was a knee jerk reaction?

Not sure what you expect? For everyone to just post their opinions with no one arguing against what they disagree with? At the risk of making the same underestimating error as yourself I must point towards the "discussion" part in discussion forum.

I have no problems with different opinions. I have no problems with people disagreeing with me. I do dislike that arguments/discussions have to boil down to "us against them". Where one side has to be the "daring" side and the other is "extremely defensive" or some similar separation between the two sides. I find that particular part of discussions rather tedious and I would rather discuss the actual opinions on their own merit.

Finally, and somewhat less flippantly, I enjoy the debates on here and I enjoy the forum in general. I have seen no problems for you to express your opinions on various topics, but that might just be my impression. I have noticed no such reservations from SUIYHA either by the way. If yourself, or SUIYHA (seeing as he was the one I responded to), or some other poster for that matter, really feels that I'm stifling discussions or opinion sharing by my style of posting then I suppose I would have to reconsider because that's not my intention. I have to be honest and say that I've never even considered that this might be a problem.

Back