• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Should double winners face England?

Craig_J

Eidur Gudjohnsen
I have no idea whether it's even worth making a thread about this but I've just come home drunk from celebrating and I have spellcheck on my side so thought f**k it why not.

When Spurs won the double back in '61 we face an FA select XI ie basically England. Now days you play the runner up from the league and I think it devalues both the double winners achievements and the competition itself. The community/ charity shield is essentially a friendly but why not make it a friendly against our national side? May be our national side would pick up a thing or two playing against a close knit club side.

Or maybe not. I now expect the usual comments like "brick OMT" and "Would Bassong be suspended" and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Good night.

I have no idea whether it's even worth making a thread about this but I've just come home drunk from celebrating and I have spellcheck on my side so thought f**k it why not.

When Spurs won the double back in '61 we face an FA select XI ie basically England. Now days you play the runner up from the league and I think it devalues both the double winners achievements and the competition itself. The community/ charity shield is essentially a friendly but why not make it a friendly against our national side? May be our national side would pick up a thing or two playing against a close knit club side.

Or maybe not. I now expect the usual comments like "brick OMT" and "Would Bassong be suspended" and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Good night.
I can't see clubs giving permission for their players to play in it and if it was another club winning the double we'd be supplying half the opposing team!

Why not go one-step further and play an international side. Although potential issues there if the Dutch were chosen, what with Toby, Verts, Dembele, Chadli and Eriksen having a conflict of interest.

how about we just bin it off and let the opening of the English season be the competition that people actually care about

(conveniently ignoring the fact that all the little teams kick off a week earlier anyway)

merge the two cups whilst we are at it as well, make all the fixtures in it mid-week and have the final the saturday (3pm ko) after the PL has concluded, and give the winners one of the CL spots

I could fix football in an afternoon me

how about we just bin it off and let the opening of the English season be the competition that people actually care about

(conveniently ignoring the fact that all the little teams kick off a week earlier anyway)

merge the two cups whilst we are at it as well, make all the fixtures in it mid-week and have the final the saturday (3pm ko) after the PL has concluded, and give the winners one of the CL spots

I could fix football in an afternoon me

It's been fixed for years.

b7791c2d0712cff91cb1d081dea9584ad71555af.jpg

Back