• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Set Pieces

**** off! ;)

Seriously though, neither you nor Steff can say with any certainty that AVB notices all details and works hard to improve them. I have given several examples of him NOT doing this. Hardly, straw man!!

I would say the man's record, and our improvement as a team, is very clear evidence.

But it isn't a zero sum game. If AVB wanted to spend an EXTRA two hours on corners then what is stopping him?

I would suggest that you can't give any evidence that we work on attacking corners because there simply isn't any. On the other hand, I am evidencing the lack of work in this area by the lack of goals and by the evidence of my own eyes regarding where the players line up, their lack of movement and the lack of variation in the corners taken.

Re Townsend, we will never know. But when Lennon got injured and lost form, we had no direct replacement. A few of Townsends goals just might have made all the difference.

Look, I know you love him, but can i say that applying some logic, he has banged about what, 18 - 20 shots this season with no goals? His conversion rate is a little bit overrated.

Look, I know you love him, but can i say that applying some logic, he has banged about what, 18 - 20 shots this season with no goals? His conversion rate is a little bit overrated.

What people are not looking at is the fact no one sat back against QPR and there was alot of space for long range shots, where as with us teams sit and protect the goal which makes long range shots alot less effective.

How many shots did Bale have to have a game before scoring?

Townsend is not intelligent enough for our team at the moment.

Look, I know you love him, but can i say that applying some logic, he has banged about what, 18 - 20 shots this season with no goals His conversion rate is a little bit overrated.

Errr. He scored one and made a sitter for Paulie against Dynamo Tblisi away.

While he is far from the finished article, his direct running at teams offers us something different and is especially useful against packed defences.

Errrr...what?

What is so hard to understand about this? We ranked worst in the EPL for corner conversion last season. AVB and the coaching team have now had more than a season to address this and we still look hopelessly inadequate from corners.

I think most modern managers will agree that at some point lengthening training sessions will have a seriously diminishing effect for various reasons.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

The lack of goals doesn't mean that we haven't worked on it at all.

Seriously mate, which way do you want it?

1. We haven't worked on corners because of time limitations?

2. The coaching staff have analysed everything and don't think we need to work on corners

Or

3 We have been working on corners, but there is no visible or tangible results as our players aren't that good in the air?

Seriously mate, which way do you want it?

1. We haven't worked on corners because of time limitations?

2. The coaching staff have analysed everything and don't think we need to work on corners

Or

3 We have been working on corners, but there is no visible or tangible results as our players aren't that good in the air?

What's with the polar opposite black and white options only?

How about:

4. We have worked on corners as it's been identified as a problem area, but because we've also had a lot of other things to work on it hasn't been a top priority and so the results haven't been massive. In part because the PL is a very physical league and we haven't had a lot of players available that are really strong in the air?

closed.jpg

corner delivery hasnt been a problem. it's the movement.

a bit of movement from Paulinho and we score.

Errr. He scored one and made a sitter for Paulie against Dynamo Tblisi away.

While he is far from the finished article, his direct running at teams offers us something different and is especially useful against packed defences.

Sorry, you are correct on this but I was not specific enough as I was referring to the league; the thrust of your original point about Andros was how his 'goals' might have helped us in the Prem last season...I was pointing out that on this season's Premiership evidence, he wouldn't have made a difference on such a score.

Oh yes, specifically with regard to our corners, what evidence is there here?

;)

Look, I'm not going to claim that tonight's goal from a corner was anything other than a chance tucked away, but the truth is that we quite obviously work on all aspects of our game at Spurs during the week, corners included.

Sorry, you are correct on this but I was not specific enough as I was referring to the league; the thrust of your original point about Andros was how his 'goals' might have helped us in the Prem last season...I was pointing out that on this season's Premiership evidence, he wouldn't have made a difference on such a score.

And what about his goals in the PL for QPR last season? Anyway this discussion is for another thread.

;)

Look, I'm not going to claim that tonight's goal from a corner was anything other than a chance tucked away, but the truth is that we quite obviously work on all aspects of our game at Spurs during the week, corners included.

Glad to hear it.:)

Blind squirrels and all that!

I really hope that this movement in the box is the start of a new corner scoring era at Spurs. Fingers crossed.

And what about his goals in the PL for QPR last season? Anyway this discussion is for another thread.

LOL...are you serious? Just admit that you 'might possibly' not be 100% correct on this one! Go on, try it...doesn't hurt y'know ;)...while we're at it, how about acknowledging that perhaps, just perhaps, AVB and co DO work on these things? Goooo on my son I KNOW you can!
:lol:

LOL...are you serious? Just admit that you 'might possibly' not be 100% correct on this one! Go on, try it...doesn't hurt y'know ;)...while we're at it, how about acknowledging that perhaps, just perhaps, AVB and co DO work on these things? Goooo on my son I KNOW you can!
:lol:

Regarding Townsend, as I said, this discussion is for another thread. I have not yet formed a definitive judgement on him.

Regarding corners, I stick with my contention that AS YET, there is no EVIDENCE on the pitch that we have been spending any time on this in practice. One deflected/blocked corner doesn't change my mind. When I see clever starting positions, great movement, the ball being positively attacked and different variations from corners, (see Man U, Chelsea, WBA for examples of this) then and only then will I see the EVIDENCE of training ground practice. Hopefully, THIS will lead to many goals from corners, which is surely what we all want rather than the tepid displays we have had to put up with for the last season and a bit.

Back