• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

am I reading that wrong, surely those stats suggest they are better with him than without him, which is the converse of the narrative?

Yes they win and lose more when he plays. Make of that what you will.

I still think its advantage West Ham in the race for the EL with him out.

am I reading that wrong, surely those stats suggest they are better with him than without him, which is the converse of the narrative?

As I said, those stats go so far back they include two only good seasons (26 and 27 league goals). I'm sure the cutoff point is completely coincidental and his five previous seasons where he managed 10-15 goals would not have made any difference. They're still only marginally better with him.

As I said, those stats go so far back they include two good seasons (26 and 27 league goals). They're still only marginally better with him.

it's either gonna be + or -, one is good, one is bad

the time to move a player on is when their influence goes the other way or you have someone who can have a greater positive influence

also, the stats have (conveniently?) dropped the period of time when he was at his most consistent, although if you look at his goals tally in isolation he's never really dropped off

I think he gets a lot of unfair stick, he's been an excellent player for Manchester United

CbbYXVSWcAABbN8.png
So they win a few more and lose a few more.

My calculation is 2.067 ppg with 1.953 ppg without, which adds up to 78.5 and 74.2pts for the season.

Curiously he has a bigger effect on goals conceded (14% more without him) than goals scored (4% more with him).

Yes they win and lose more when he plays. Make of that what you will.

I still think its advantage West Ham in the race for the EL with him out.

they score more, concede less and win more games, every player you can say that for is an asset to my mind

I wouldn't go as far as to say advantage west ham but he's clearly a player LvG would rather have available

it's either gonna be + or -, one is good, one is bad

the time to move a player on is when their influence goes the other way or you have someone who can have a greater positive influence

also, the stats have (conveniently?) dropped the period of time when he was at his most consistent, although if you look at his goals tally in isolation he's never really dropped off

I think he gets a lot of unfair stick, he's been an excellent player for Manchester United

His record at Man Utd: 11, 16, 14, 12, 12, 26, 11, 27, 12, 17, 12 and 7 this season. Those stats conveniently start with his 26 goal season. I would have liked to see the numbers for the last three.

His record at Man Utd: 11, 16, 14, 12, 12, 26, 11, 27, 12, 17, 12 and 7 this season. Those stats conveniently start with his 26 goal season. I would have liked to see the numbers for the last three.

I was looking at all competition goals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Rooney#Club

it would make sense if they had someone sat waiting on the bench who looked a greater threat, but I don't see that from Rashford or Keane myself, who knows, maybe LvG is waiting to unleash them

Still, his importance to them 5 or 3 years ago has little to do with the player we see today.

absolutely, it's stats for the bigger picture

this isn't vintage Rooney, but there isn't someone knocking on the door to replace him in the starting 11 at the minute, they'll move Martial there but the man that comes in is not going to match Rooney's influence imo

absolutely, it's stats for the bigger picture

this isn't vintage Rooney, but there isn't someone knocking on the door to replace him in the starting 11 at the minute, they'll move Martial there but the man that comes in is not going to match Rooney's influence imo

Why didn't they just get a backup striker? Damn that Levy, no wait.

It's a measure of how Spurs fans are thinking these days when news of Rooney's injury - and the likelihood that this starts pouring the cement for Spurs top four finish - is given somewhat blasé reactions.

Fair to say we'd be more interested in little knocks that might affect Kante, Huth, Vardy and Mahrez because we're looking up, not down.

So Utd without Rooney arent weaker as a team? Given he is their Captain and one of their leading goal scorers, probably one of the leading voice in their dressing room etc?

That must be why they are so brick these days.

A knee injury doesn't inhibit his vocal cords.

He can threaten to batter them with his crutches if they don't get a result.

13 February 2016, Merson knew:

The north London side travel to the Etihad hoping to keep hold of second spot behind leaders Leicester. Merson though reckons Mauricio Pochettino’s side don’t have the pace in their side to give City real problems. “If I’m being honest, I don’t see Spurs winning this game,” Merson told SkySports. “They haven’t got pace on the counter like Leicester have so I’m unsure how they’ll hurt Emirates Marketing Project. “Spurs have conceded 10 goals in their last two trips to the Etihad but this Tottenham team is a completely different animal under Mauricio Pochettino, this is one of the best sides they’ve had in years. “Emirates Marketing Project will no doubt cause Spurs problems too but I don’t see either side running away with a game which is relatively well matched.”

As I said, those stats go so far back they include two only good seasons (26 and 27 league goals). I'm sure the cutoff point is completely coincidental and his five previous seasons where he managed 10-15 goals would not have made any difference. They're still only marginally better with him.

But who has replaced him in the past when he's been out? Berbatov? Tevez? An in form van Persie? They've had top players and arguably a better balanced side with him out of the team in the past.

Who will replace him now? I think it might have more of an impact at this time than earlier. Though could obviously be wrong.

But who has replaced him in the past when he's been out? Berbatov? Tevez? An in form van Persie? They've had top players and arguably a better balanced side with him out of the team in the past.

Who will replace him now? I think it might have more of an impact at this time than earlier. Though could obviously be wrong.
Martial is more than capable.....

Martial is more than capable.....

But also seemingly their best left sided player by some margin. Moving him centrally could leave them weaker in two positions...

Compared to the kind of competition for places they had with Berbatov, Tevez and Rooney, or the option to go two up front instead of Rooney and RvP as a partnership, seems massive. So I'm not sure "historical" comparisons how they've done with and without Rooney are particularly informative for the current United team.

Back