• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Season Ticket Holder Bereavement

freundian slip

Steve Slade
Hi all,

I've been a season ticket holder with my Dad for 14 years, but he sadly passed away recently. I inadvertently informed the ticket office of this and they now seem adamant that the ticket must be taken off us immediately and given to someone on the waiting list. My Mum (who actually pays for both tickets) would like to take my Dad's seat as it was his most loved possession, and obviously has been paid for the rest of the year already.

Has anyone had experience with the bereavement of a season ticket holder? Or know anyone that has? I'm just looking to find out some information on what the ticket office will normally do, and what can be done to let my Mum attend.

I know there is a long season ticket waiting list, but you can understand my wish to keep the ticket we have had for so many years in the family.

Thanks

Sorry for your loss mate. Would be absolutely scandalous of Spurs to take the seat off you, but I wouldn't have thought they'd mind you keeping it if they are still getting money for it?

If they do insist on it back I'd create an absolute brick storm if I were you. Would be the epitome of greedy modern day football, putting sentiment aside in quest for money.

Firstly, sincere condolences on your loss.

I suppose Spurs are looking at it in 'black & white' - i imagine that in the T&Cs it states that the ST is non-transferable & they are sticking to that.

Seems a bit heartless i agree but i can also see it from the clubs point of view.

Good luck.

My condolences, too.

While I agree the club are probably legally within their rights about non-transferable tickets, you'd think they would should discretion to transfer the tickets. It seems particularly callous to take someone's tickets away just after passing of their father.

It could just be some jobsworth in the ticket office following instructions without thinking. You should e-mail the the PR person (the Communications Director? ... I forget the name) and explain the situation. Surely the club would make an exception under the circumstances.

Last edited:
My condolences, too.

While I agree the club are probably legally within their rights about non-transferable tickets, you'd think they would should discretion to transfer the tickets. It seems particularly callous to take someone's tickets away just after passing of their father.

It could just be some jobsworth in the ticket office following instructions without thinking. You should e-mail the the PR person (the Communications Director? ... I forget the name) and explain the situation. Surely the club would make an exception under the circumstances.

Sorry for your loss. In the past I know friends who have had situations arise whereby they have transferred season tickets or even got queue jumps. They can be quite flexible in that regard so I would contact someone more senior and outline the situation. Seeing as it is your Mum who would like the ticket aswell I can't see that they would be that callous

I know that most season ticket holders at Liverpool are over 100 years old...... They keep them in the family up there and very rarely get given back to the club. Same at Utd.

Did they offer a refund for the rest of the season ?

I guess the club cant really have a policy of letting people allocate to someone else, although letting your mum use it for the rest of the season seems fair.

Hi all,

I've been a season ticket holder with my Dad for 14 years, but he sadly passed away recently. I inadvertently informed the ticket office of this and they now seem adamant that the ticket must be taken off us immediately and given to someone on the waiting list. My Mum (who actually pays for both tickets) would like to take my Dad's seat as it was his most loved possession, and obviously has been paid for the rest of the year already.

Has anyone had experience with the bereavement of a season ticket holder? Or know anyone that has? I'm just looking to find out some information on what the ticket office will normally do, and what can be done to let my Mum attend.

I know there is a long season ticket waiting list, but you can understand my wish to keep the ticket we have had for so many years in the family.

Thanks

Sincere condolences mate.

I suppose its a tough one, the club need to keep the waiting list moving as fairly as possible. But the individual concerned (in this case, you) also has to come to terms with the loss of a loved one, and their company. It's a shame that a "legacy" can't be continued.... I don't know if you have kids in the family but I guess it would be nice if you could carry on using the ticket with your son, then they could take their child in years to come etc. Such is the detail in the problem of our club at this moment in time I suppose.

However, I do feel that organisations aren't always sensitive enough to families who have suffered a bereavement and, personally, I do not think the club should be taking away a season ticket immediately. If you are still hoping to keep the ticket for the remainder of the year, I would gladly email the club in support.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the kind words. I spoke to the Customer Services Manager and he was very understanding about the whole situation, and apologised for the way the Ticket Office have treated this thing so far which was nice of him. He said under the circumstances we could change the name to someone else in the family, as it was a bereavement and not just someone who didn't want to be a season ticket any more, which is great news for my family but not for the lengthy waiting list I guess.

I guess the Ticket Office had to be all correct in terms of T&Cs about it all, whereas this guy showed a much more human side which was great to see. Any future fans that have an issue feel free to point to this case.

Thanks for all your help, let's hope for three points tomorrow.

Cheers.

Well, that seems a good solution. I suppose we can't criticise the person in the ticket office too much as they do have rules to follow. Perhaps some common sense and asking a supervisor would have been better.

Transfer of tickets when scarce is a problem. I think here, FS was attending with his dad and wants to continue the legacy with his mum and possibly later with a son. It was (and is) effectively a family pair of tickets, rather than an isolated ticket. I think it would be different if someone goes alone and wanted to leave the ticket in a will, even to a son, when there is no history of going together.

Good to hear this is resolved :)

Is tomorrow the first game without your dad? If so, I hope it all goes ok - remember the good times together at the Lane if you can!

Sorry to hear of your loss and glad there is the solution you were looking for. Whilst people may want to move up the ST list, they should not due to bereavements so this is the best outcome and the club have done well after a bit of common sense.

Back