• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

scandanavian people

ringo

Tim Sherwood
Hi. I'm planning on doing some family holidaying in Scandanavia next year. First time. Might do a combination of rent (if possible) and drive around. Possibly more Norway/Denmark, than Sweden/Finland.

Things I'd be interested in knowing:

Best time to come -- Easter/May Half Term/Summer holiday?
What is the equivalent to renting a cottage in the UK/renting a gite in France? And is there a good website(s) for it?
People used to go on about how expensive Scandanavia is for GB £ spenders --is that still the case?
How come Scandanavia is so good at Eurovision -OK that one is optional..

Any help (as opposed to facetious comments) appreciated.

Have a nice time, i met quite a few Norwegians this summer at the Tour De France and they were all very friendly and nice. Always fancied going to Norway because their fjords look amazing but it will be a few more years before we do a cruise were not that old yet.

Im lead to believe it is quite expensive out there though mate so save your pennies.

Have a nice time, i met quite a few Norwegians this summer at the Tour De France and they were all very friendly and nice. Always fancied going to Norway because their fjords look amazing but it will be a few more years before we do a cruise were not that old yet.

Im lead to believe it is quite expensive out there though mate so save your pennies.

Diverting from Scandanavia momentarily..Did you do the Etape? That's another thing on my to do list. Not quite up to Alp d'Huez or Mont Ventoux yet, but working on it...(very slowly)

Diverting from Scandanavia momentarily..Did you do the Etape? That's another thing on my to do list. Not quite up to Alp d'Huez or Mont Ventoux yet, but working on it...(very slowly)

Nope, i cycled Nice they shut the roads off 2 days before which made a **** of a walk in from the airport, done Alp d'Huez which was full or Norwegians and lovely they were to, one of the best vibes i have ever experinced, so many different nationalities and everyone got along, i almost thought the EU was worth it. We rode quite a bit round Marseille but my favourite stretch was going over the border from Nice into Italy and seeing how hard the climb is at the end of San Remo.

Good luck with scandanavia, i know it is wrong to generalise but they seem like such a good bunch up there.

I'm Norwegian...

Summer would be your best bet for decent weather. Just look at a map, compare how far north the places you want to go are compared to Britain and take a guess at what the weather will be like at different times of the year. If you want to venture far north, arctic circle type I would stick to the summer.

Places to go depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for spectacular nature then coastal Norway is stunning, I think that's true even though I'm obviously biased. Driving is a very good way of getting around I think.

Geiranger:

250px-Geiranger2.JPG

Lofoten:

s_lofoten.jpg

Lofoten is quite far north and even in the summer you need a bit of luck with the weather to really get the best out of it mind you.

If you're going to experience cities and city life I would go for Copenhagen and Stockholm first. Oslo is alright, but nothing special imo. Copenhagen is a lot of fun. Norway is really expensive, especially if you want to go drinking. Other scandi countries are definitely better value for that.

There are campsites with cabins, but they won't be cheap by your standards I think. Not sure about websites. Most cities will have budget hotels, the usual hotel booking sites will do fine I think. Depending on your age, budget and what you're looking for you might want to consider cheaper options like youth hostels, couch surfing, tenting etc.

I'm Norwegian...

Summer would be your best bet for decent weather. Just look at a map, compare how far north the places you want to go are compared to Britain and take a guess at what the weather will be like at different times of the year. If you want to venture far north, arctic circle type I would stick to the summer.

Places to go depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for spectacular nature then coastal Norway is stunning, I think that's true even though I'm obviously biased. Driving is a very good way of getting around I think.

Geiranger:

250px-Geiranger2.JPG

Lofoten:

s_lofoten.jpg

Lofoten is quite far north and even in the summer you need a bit of luck with the weather to really get the best out of it mind you.

If you're going to experience cities and city life I would go for Copenhagen and Stockholm first. Oslo is alright, but nothing special imo. Copenhagen is a lot of fun. Norway is really expensive, especially if you want to go drinking. Other scandi countries are definitely better value for that.

There are campsites with cabins, but they won't be cheap by your standards I think. Not sure about websites. Most cities will have budget hotels, the usual hotel booking sites will do fine I think. Depending on your age, budget and what you're looking for you might want to consider cheaper options like youth hostels, couch surfing, tenting etc.

Thanks for the info. I like the look of those pictures.

I'm planning on splashing out a bit - renting a place (if we do the summer) for a couple of weeks as a base (if possible) and driving from there, stopping for a weekend in a city/town, and then renting somewhere else as a base for another week, to cover a different part of Scandanavia.

Won't be drinking much alcohol. Want to avoid being eaten alive by mosquitoes. Fancy doing a bit of pike fishing -although that is not the main point of holiday.

The more I see of the fjords the more I'm liking them... (and the sound of beautiful Norwegian maidens, although wife may have something to say about that) - S of France way too hot this time of year -- got be Scandanavia next year...

i was in Copehangen for a long weekend recently - beautiful city.
Really enjoying cycling around it.

Some good food to be found there too - not too expensive, just think Central london prices.
I thought the food was pretty damn good to be fair - just "normal" stuff (nacho's, thai, steak etc). Each meal cost £12-15 for one course. Beer was £5-7.

^ Why would you do the hand-stand thing? What is wrong with people?

This (or rather that) country.

Done Helsinki

People speak great English. Friendly people too. Summer definitely is the best time to go.

As for prices, they're higher than in Holland.
Eg spent 7 euros on a sandwich and a drink at the Helsinki station cafe and 37 euros on a reindeer meat dish at another place in the centre of Helsinki. Pretty hefty but wanted to taste it.
Touristic boat ride from the harbour to the islands cost 20 euros. Worth it though.

Back