• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Samsung Galaxy S4

COYS

Allan Nielsen
Shocked there hasn't been a topic about it. Looks like an immense phone. Shame I can't get it until August though.

s4_front_both_colours_01.png

Relevant facts taken from Wikipedia:
Expected release date: April 26
Dimensions: 136.6 mm (5.38 in) H, 69.8 mm (2.75 in) W, 7.9 mm (0.31 in) D
Processor: Exynos 5 Octa (1.6 GHz quad-core Cortex-A15 and 1.2 GHz quad-core Cortex-A7)
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Battery: 2600 mAh
Display: 5 in (130 mm) RGBG Full HD Super AMOLED 441 ppi (1920×1080)

Other cool, new (maybe gimmicky) features:
  • Smart Pause - when you look away from the screen whilst watching a video it pauses itself, using eye tracking
  • Smart Scroll - the phone detects when you're near the bottom of something using wrist movements and facial recognition it will scroll down
  • Dual Camera - the ability to take a photo or record a video using both cameras at the same time
  • Sound & Shot - the ability to take photos with a sound
  • Drama Shot - the ability to take a sequence of photos in one frame to show how something moved from one place to another (pictured below)
  • Air View/Air Gesture - the ability to control your device using hand gestures and by hovering your hand over the screen to use the phone. This also makes the phone compatible with all gloves
  • S Health - an app that keeps track of your workouts, glucose levels, sleep etc. and comfort levels based on surrounding temperature and humidity (pictured below)

img_fun_03.jpg

img_LifeCare_02.jpg

And I thought the S3 shat on the iPhone 5. I can't see many iPhoners posting on this thread, but wow Samsung are unstoppable now.

What I'm tinkled off about is last week I bought a pair of touchscreen gloves before I realised a couple minutes later that winter was now over and I wouldn't get much use out of them. I then settled myself by saying I'll be able to use them next year, and now Samsung tell me this phone's compatible with all gloves. FFS!

need to get my upgrade next month. I've got an S2 now which I think is great, apart from the brick battery and occasionaly switching off by random.

So not sure whether to get the S4 or that new Sony Xperia Z. Don't particularly want an iphone.

Had the s3 for quite a while and it is the best phone I have owned thus far. I would recommend the s4 to anyone who is due an upgrade even though I don't own one and have never had a play with one. It will be the gonad*s. fudge the ipony

need to get my upgrade next month. I've got an S2 now which I think is great, apart from the brick battery and occasionaly switching off by random.

So not sure whether to get the S4 or that new Sony Xperia Z. Don't particularly want an iphone.

I had the Xperia Z for 4 days, and I couldn't stand it. It's VERY cheap feeling. I part exed it for an iPhone, sheep that I am. I also had the GS3, IMO one of the nicest phones out there, so looking forward to seeing the GS4 in the flesh. My only gripe would be the size. It's the same size as the Xperia and that felt like I was holding a slab of Cadbury's finest up against my ear when making calls

Never owned an IPhone, my contract expires in a few months and my plan was to get the IPhone5.

Since then, a mate of mine sold his 5 for a google Nexus which he says is the nuts. The worrying thing is he's an Apple fanatic..

Now I'm in two minds and it seems there are quite a few people making the transition away from Apple.

I'm liking the look of the Samsung Iphone Killer but the one thing I do like about the Iphone is the look and feel of it and tbh it fashionably exceeds its competition.

You got it right with gimmicky features. Surely the pause when you look away would just get annoying??

looks like a solid upgrade, i think that smart pause would annoy me though

s health looks really good

How sturdy and reliable are the Samsung Galaxy phones?

I'm a field-sales rep so my phone is my business. I'm not particularly geeky so I mainly use it for calling/texting/email etc. I currently have a Samsung Charge and will be updating in a few months. The phone has given me a few problems though over the past 18 months, in particular with the battery and a few software anomolies (it keeps moving or deleting contacts). I've even had a replacement phone and am having the same issues with this one too. I had the iPhone 2 before moving to Droid, and even though I know it isn't nearly as tech savvy, it was sturdy and reliable so I was thinking about maybe going back for these benefits. Any info much appreciated...

The SGS4 has 25% better battery than the S3.

I'm a field-sales rep so my phone is my business. I'm not particularly geeky so I mainly use it for calling/texting/email etc. I currently have a Samsung Charge and will be updating in a few months. The phone has given me a few problems though over the past 18 months, in particular with the battery and a few software anomolies (it keeps moving or deleting contacts). I've even had a replacement phone and am having the same issues with this one too. I had the iPhone 2 before moving to Droid, and even though I know it isn't nearly as tech savvy, it was sturdy and reliable so I was thinking about maybe going back for these benefits. Any info much appreciated...

I've seen a couple of broken SGS3s, but Samsung have responded to this by upgrading the screen to new Gorilla Glass 3, as opposed to the S3's Gorilla Glass 2 (can't tell you what the difference is though). Other than that, I have seen no issues with any of the phone in the Galaxy range in my life and the software seems to be very reliable. I know exactly what you mean by software problems (I've had to deal with a few myself - I don't own a Galaxy), but this is often down to the phone manufacturer doing a brick job rather than Google. Samsung, on the other hand, have the best reputation out of any of the Android manufacturers out there and I have never seen a single software issue with any of the Galaxy phones.

And to all those complaining about the Smart Pause function - it's not something you have to use.

It seems to have gone quite unnoticed that this phone has 8 cores. That's 4x as many cores as my fudging laptop!

i have a S3 and love it to bits, so much so that i have no interest in the s4 so il have a look at next years phone. but the best thing i did was abandon the iphone years ago

8 cores? not needed on a mobile phone

You'd be surprised with Android. When you buy an Android you make a 24 month deal with Google that for the next 2 years you will trust all of Google's updates or your phone lags behind.

However all of the old Androids (including mine) just can't handle the latest firmware any more and have become brick. These phones need to be robustly future-proof.

You'd be surprised with Android. When you buy an Android you make a 24 month deal with Google that for the next 2 years you will trust all of Google's updates or your phone lags behind.

However all of the old Androids (including mine) just can't handle the latest firmware any more and have become brick. These phones need to be robustly future-proof.

Have you heard of planned obsolescence? There is no such thing as future proof. Our monetary system is all about cyclical consumption. If manufacturers wanted too they could make a robustly future proof device, but it's not in their interest. That's why we have so much waste, our environment is polluted, we live in a mad world.

Last edited:
Im a blackberry lover - love blackberrys like I love Louise

However its time to ditch Louise

Im going for this phone... just looks awesome. I dont like touchscreens only issue.

Im a blackberry lover - love blackberrys like I love Louise

However its time to ditch Louise

Im going for this phone... just looks awesome. I dont like touchscreens only issue.

I had a z10 for a couple days, expected to hate it but I was quite impressed, not gonna ditch my iPhone yet but it would be my second choice right now

The Mrs has the S3.....she dropped it out of her back pocket while on the loo, fished it out from the bowl, had too (for reasons you can imagine) rinse it under the tap and 5 weeks on still 100% working.

Have dropped my S2 3/4 times onto hard surfaces and no damage (apart from a scuff). I think the gorilla glass helps but also because the Galaxies are more plastic you probably don't get the shockwave that the hard edged iphones must, hence possible shattering of the screen.

Have you heard of planned obsolescence? There is no such thing as future proof. Our monetary system is all about cyclical consumption. If manufacturers wanted too they could make a robustly future proof device, but it's not in their interest. That's why we have so much waste, our environment is polluted, we live in a mad world.

Yes, but this phone is expensive so Samsung don't mind making this phone future proof for a good couple of years. People who bought the S2 still seem perfectly happy with their phone. If you were to buy the S4 it should make you happy for the whole of your contract.

Back