• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

Was talking about this to my son, there is a lack of genuine class players, any that are available are probably beyond our grasp.

It's what you get expanding the competition beyond 16 teams.

Lots of decent system teams (Italy, Iceland, Croatia), and a handful of one superstar teams (Wales, Portugal, Poland), but not many full packages

These low valuations of berahino's worth are laughable. What are they based on? In January a bid was put in by Saudi Sportswashing Machine was in excess of £20 million. Last summer we also valued him in excess of £20 million. Sure his value would have dropped as his contract has run down but I wouldn't have thought to a quarter of his previous valuation or even half. He is a good, young English striker. That in itself attracts a premium. He was scouted and deemed suitable by us from a footballing point of view. I am not sure what has changed? I think 12-15 million would be a great price.

These low valuations of berahino's worth are laughable. What are they based on? In January a bid was put in by Saudi Sportswashing Machine was in excess of £20 million. Last summer we also valued him in excess of £20 million. Sure his value would have dropped as his contract has run down but I wouldn't have thought to a quarter of his previous valuation or even half. He is a good, young English striker. That in itself attracts a premium. He was scouted and deemed suitable by us from a footballing point of view. I am not sure what has changed? I think 12-15 million would be a great price.

Last year of contract means they will never get £10m for him. Ditto Wanyama. Berahino brings all his baggage too.

Last year of contract means they will never get £10m for him. Ditto Wanyama. Berahino brings all his baggage too.

I'm sure even basic digging will show that there have been several players who have gone for more than £10M when they have one year left on their contract..

I'm sure even basic digging will show that there have been several players who have gone for more than £10M when they have one year left on their contract..

We paid £11m for eriksen with one year left on his contract IIRC

And Ashley you'd be went for about £18m in the same situation

The contract is only one determinant of his transfer fee. His price will also be determined by the number of clubs bidding to sign him. As I say he is a young English striker who has the potential to score goals consistently. IMO he will be highly sought after.

The only thing similar is the fact that their contract had one year left. They both were and are far superior players to Berahino and far more proven at those times.

The only thing similar is the fact that their contract had one year left. They both were and are far superior players to Berahino and far more proven at those times.
Eriksen had never played in the Premier League and so was unproven. He also didn't attract the English premium. Of course we also have to deal with Jeremy Peace who, it appears, would rather write off an asset than sell him for less than his own valuation.

Aren't people primarily talking about what they would be happy with us spending on Berahino? There's not really any such thing as an objective value of a player. Might be that one or two PL managers will be willing to spend £20m on him this summer, but it might also be that the highest bid WBA get is £10m.

What might have changed is that other targets have been scouted and are available for us. No point signing a player for a great price if there are other players that we think will do a better job that are available at an equally great price.

the price is an important factor because we are presumably working on a budget and signing a cheaper target in one position will allow us to spend bigger on other players. of course in isolation the fee isn't the most important factor but with regards to the window as a whole it's quite key...

Poch and Mitchell obviously did, that's good enough for me. Plus hes clearly talented, anyone can see that....

I think he was back-up plan for Son. And his behaviour last August clearly influenced the data we had on his character, which will have punished him in subsequent Black Box calculations.

I think he was back-up plan for Son. And his behaviour last August clearly influenced the data we had on his character, which will have punished him in subsequent Black Box calculations.
I thought they have bidded for SB since signing Son? Regardless, they clearly rated him which was the point I was making whether he had a tantrum at not getting his move or not...

Keyword being 'did'. Guess I'm not anyone...
I was replying to someone saying they don't rate him - Whether we still want him or not is irrelevant they obviously rate him. Having a tantrum doesn't change that.

He's pacy, technically good on the ball, he has all the attributes for me. Finishing needs improving but that comes with age and good coaching. He's still a bit raw but Im surprised you don't at the very least think he has talent....

Back