• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

I guess my point regarding your first is that us as fans are fixiting on experience with Mason, where in the comparison with Arteta it's a marginal difference between them, people bought in to him and gave him his shot.

I agree with your second point and as I've said previously I'm not saying he should get the job, i just don't agree with some of the logic being used against him.

It's a high pressure environment and think some experience is required to be successful. I'd rather him go learn the finer details and come back and give himself a fair crack at it, rather than fail and never be able to return.

If we were a few divisions below and didn't have ambitions of winning anything or getting into the top four then by all means take a punt.

With our recent ill recruitment record of managers, why even take the chance when there are far superior managers available.

I'd be underwhelmed rather than disappointed.
Can't see it happening, it would be a hard sell to incomeming players, no CL and a rookie manager in a team full questionable qualities.

If we really can't get someone more established, then Mason is no more of a punt than some other the names supposedly in the frame.

I do think that knowing the league/knowing the club is largely irrelevant though, its football.

Knowing the players personally though, might be an issue. It's likely that at some point in the next managers tenure some big characters in the club will have to be moved on.

But unlike Nagellsmann he knows the league, played for and coached with some top coaches, and knows the club and ethos
Nagellsmann got his chance because he came through at Hoffenheim much younger than Mason is now with less experience
I normally find myself agreeing with you -- when I can figure out your typos, anyway!

This time though, I have to differ. It's always a risk hiring a young coach without much experience. So many don't work out when things go against them -- can he preside over a squad rebuild? Deal with senior players who aren't getting picked? Handle a run of bad results? Implement a new system of play? Coach a tight defence?

While I have a lot of time for Mason, he's still wet behind the ears. Sure, he's been involved with two (formerly) top coaches, but is that enough? He's not really been the right hand man, has he?

Nagelsmann is the next level up -- he's proven himself with two teams in a tough league. Three if you count Bayern, where he was pretty successful until his falling-out with the management. He's obviously had experience with truly massive club, with all the media circus that entails.

I'd be happier with Mason in a couple of years' time, if he were to become Nagelsmann's #2, for example. But I'd rather he went out and became main man at a smaller club -- round out his experience somewhere the spotlight wouldn't be on him quite so much. We've all seen what the media do to Spurs managers.

All that said, Mourinho and Conte were, in theory at least, almost risk-free appointments. They were top tier managers with glittering CVs. And both failures at Spurs.

Wouldn't bother me if we give it to Mason, wouldn't bother me if we were midtable for a season, wouldn't bother me if we can only attract the best of the Championship. Neil Warnock as DoF? Knows his Championship onions.

I normally find myself agreeing with you -- when I can figure out your typos, anyway!

This time though, I have to differ. It's always a risk hiring a young coach without much experience. So many don't work out when things go against them -- can he preside over a squad rebuild? Deal with senior players who aren't getting picked? Handle a run of bad results? Implement a new system of play? Coach a tight defence?

While I have a lot of time for Mason, he's still wet behind the ears. Sure, he's been involved with two (formerly) top coaches, but is that enough? He's not really been the right hand man, has he?

Nagelsmann is the next level up -- he's proven himself with two teams in a tough league. Three if you count Bayern, where he was pretty successful until his falling-out with the management. He's obviously had experience with truly massive club, with all the media circus that entails.

I'd be happier with Mason in a couple of years' time, if he were to become Nagelsmann's #2, for example. But I'd rather he went out and became main man at a smaller club -- round out his experience somewhere the spotlight wouldn't be on him quite so much. We've all seen what the media do to Spurs managers.

All that said, Mourinho and Conte were, in theory at least, almost risk-free appointments. They were top tier managers with glittering CVs. And both failures at Spurs.

Thats the kicker
The sure things haven’t worked
The ones with potential have… to a point
Nagelsmann, if we get him, could be anything here
His off the pitch stuff worries me but he is very forward thing as a coach
Mason has just really shown me his gets tactics and changes (Poch never made those changes and he was a success). He gets the club and the players, and he can also keep Kane here (imo)
Nagellsman could also do that. But he could also go bonkers

Thats the kicker
The sure things haven’t worked
The ones with potential have… to a point
Nagelsmann, if we get him, could be anything here
His off the pitch stuff worries me but he is very forward thing as a coach
Mason has just really shown me his gets tactics and changes (Poch never made those changes and he was a success). He gets the club and the players, and he can also keep Kane here (imo)
Nagellsman could also do that. But he could also go bonkers
What makes you think Mason could keep Kane here? Has Kane said anything, or is it a feeling that he'd stick around for a year to help out his mate?

Agreed about Mason's tactics so far. I'll excuse a couple of slow starts, given what he's had to work with.

I'd say a Mason + Kane combo is just as likely to get us back into the CL as any other manager without Kane. At the moment, ManU missing out on the CL would be a godsend -- despite it meaning Liverpool getting 4th instead.

What makes you think Mason could keep Kane here? Has Kane said anything, or is it a feeling that he'd stick around for a year to help out his mate?

Agreed about Mason's tactics so far. I'll excuse a couple of slow starts, given what he's had to work with.

I'd say a Mason + Kane combo is just as likely to get us back into the CL as any other manager without Kane. At the moment, ManU missing out on the CL would be a godsend -- despite it meaning Liverpool getting 4th instead.
Unite getting CL or not makes no difference to Kanes situation. The only team that may want to sign Kane who could win it is Madrid
And about Mason, it’s Kanes comments for me
And his historical friendship
He ain’t going anywhere this summer no matter what so uh would be a season to convince him
Mason would be as good and as capable as anyone at doing that and I’d argue that he would have more things to add to the discussion that a guy who will have been here 6/9 months
All just opinions of course

Unite getting CL or not makes no difference to Kanes situation. The only team that may want to sign Kane who could win it is Madrid
And about Mason, it’s Kanes comments for me
And his historical friendship
He ain’t going anywhere this summer no matter what so uh would be a season to convince him
Mason would be as good and as capable as anyone at doing that and I’d argue that he would have more things to add to the discussion that a guy who will have been here 6/9 months
All just opinions of course
Gotcha.

Look how positive Kane was at the start of Conte's reign though. He wants to improve himself, to work with the very best coaches. Nagelsmann fits into that category. If Kane sees out his contract, he's surely going to be more likely to stay with us if we look like we might win something. Is Mason the man to finally break our duck?

I think ManU with CL would be a much more attractive proposition for Kane than if they were in the Europa. They're the only English team that would pay what Levy wants (except maybe Chelsea with Poch at the helm, but I'd rather not think about that), and I think Shearer's record means more to him than winning the CL with a foreign team. Purely conjecture, of course.

Gotcha.

Look how positive Kane was at the start of Conte's reign though. He wants to improve himself, to work with the very best coaches. Nagelsmann fits into that category. If Kane sees out his contract, he's surely going to be more likely to stay with us if we look like we might win something. Is Mason the man to finally break our duck?

I think ManU with CL would be a much more attractive proposition for Kane than if they were in the Europa. They're the only English team that would pay what Levy wants (except maybe Chelsea with Poch at the helm, but I'd rather not think about that), and I think Shearer's record means more to him than winning the CL with a foreign team. Purely conjecture, of course.

I think Kane stays purely because we won't let him go, bit of a segway because I don't think it matters who is manager, if we were to cash in the optimum would have been last year, I don't think, despite the claims of penny pinching, I don't think we now sell Kane for 80m/100m for the sake of it, I think we keep, roll the dice on the next system working. Just my opinion

Gotcha.

I don’t think it’s anything to with who is attractive to Kane. It’s all about how unattractive we are if we sell him to a new manager. We won’t sell him for that reason
Kane still has no power as his value has decreased and the state of the club means we cant afford to sell him

I honestly think, albeit naively some might say, if we had replaced Conte with Mason we would still be in the race for a top 4 finish.

How, we have a squad of no hopers that down tools anytime they fancy it.

All while competing against Emirates Marketing Project, United, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Arsenal, Liverpool, all of which have a better starting XI and in most cases a better balanced squad. To add Aston Villa into the mix along with a pochettino managed Chelsea, Brighton ...

We are going to need a massive overhaul and that's even with any manager coming in, let alone a maverick in Ryan mason

Back