• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

I did. So just because I think one of our players isn't very good, does that mean I wouldn't celebrate. What a bizarre thought.

Do you love all our players or have you critisised any?

I love what our manager has done to these players, the attitude, fight, character, heart, desire is incredible, its the fittest Tottenham team I've ever seen too, we had six players under 23 on the pitch yesterday, I genuinely feel as happy and optimistic as I have done for a good while and it's only going to get better, If I'm honest the only players I dislike are Adeayor and Kaboul and this is down to their attitudes, they won't buy into what Pochettino wants so they can fudge off in my eyes

What you really mean is I've backed myself into a corner here and now have to try and stick to my guns!

Truth is, everyone believes that what they say themselves is true! And because these players came though our youth system, the perception was: they can't be good enough. It can't be that easy. They are decent, but will be found out.

But it wasn't that easy, they have been training for a decade. Huge amounts of effort have gone in, and you have to credit Poch too - making them into better players. Mason still has lots to improve upon. But what you can not deny is that he played his heart out on Saturday and the home grown midfield was crucial to our win.

As mentioned above Mason does have a good shot on him as well as the other attributes that we saw. So take a step back, judge him on his talents not preconceptions, all good players develop and break into the first team somewhere, why not here?

But the other argument is he's home grown so we love him more and willing to ignore his short comings. Add the passion he has, which he does, and it's easy to want to love him. And yeah, he plays his heart out and I love that. I don't have a reason to hate him or looking for it or anything. I simply don't think he's good enough technically and doesn't offer enough creatively or in attack. Bentaleb has as much passion and energy, but is a better passer, and assisted kane... I just don't see mason having any of those abilities.

Grimsby, do you not see how well he keeps the ball moving. The way he keeps his head up and knows where he is passing the ball before it even gets to him. His ability to switch play, the way he instinctively moves into the space that Lamela, Dembele and Eriksen leave when they drop deep. The fact that his defensive positioning is coming along well, not to mention the number of interceptions and tackles he makes per game.

I love what our manager has done to these players, the attitude, fight, character, heart, desire is incredible, its the fittest Tottenham team I've ever seen too, we had six players under 23 on the pitch yesterday, I genuinely feel as happy and optimistic as I have done for a good while and it's only going to get better, If I'm honest the only players I dislike are Adeayor and Kaboul and this is down to their attitudes, they won't buy into what Pochettino wants so they can fudge off in my eyes

I agree 100%. It'd the biggest change and the kne we've needed a long time. How long has it been since we've performed against the classic top 4? I think both arsenal games, Chelsea home and Emirates Marketing Project away are some of our best performances this season. And again, I'm becoming more and more positive too. But at the same time, I'm always looking at areas we can improve, thinking about what we'll do in the transfer windows.

I dont dislike mason. In fact I'd love it if he I proved his passing, and really started creating more and getting the odd goal. Kane proved me completely wrong. I'd love mason to too.

Grimsby, do you not see how well he keeps the ball moving. The way he keeps his head up and knows where he is passing the ball before it even gets to him. His ability to switch play, the way he instinctively moves into the space that Lamela, Dembele and Eriksen leave when they drop deep. The fact that his defensive positioning is coming along well, not to mention the number of interceptions and tackles he makes per game.

Not really. His defensive work I do. But his general play I don't. Maybe I should watch the game again...

But the other argument is he's home grown so we love him more and willing to ignore his short comings. Add the passion he has, which he does, and it's easy to want to love him. And yeah, he plays his heart out and I love that. I don't have a reason to hate him or looking for it or anything. I simply don't think he's good enough technically and doesn't offer enough creatively or in attack. Bentaleb has as much passion and energy, but is a better passer, and assisted kane... I just don't see mason having any of those abilities.

Sounds like you're slowly talking yourself around :) Mason is a young developing talent. The talent part is in bold because he clearly has talent. You don't get by in games like that on Saturday, you don't score the winning goal to keep your team in the cup, or pull out tenacious tackles and decent passing...if you're 'winging it'. Yes he can improve, but technically, he's pretty decent already and undoubtedly deserving of his place in the team.

Sounds like you're slowly talking yourself around :) Mason is a young developing talent. The talent part is in bold because he clearly has talent. You don't get by in games like that on Saturday, you don't score the winning goal to keep your team in the cup, or pull out tenacious tackles and decent passing...if you're 'winging it'. Yes he can improve, but technically, he's pretty decent already and undoubtedly deserving of his place in the team.

Haha, not really. I reckon if he was a couple of years younger I'd have more hope, but at 23, I don't know... I reckon I'd be much more positive about him if he didn't give the ball away so much! That'd be a perfect start!

Haha, not really. I reckon if he was a couple of years younger I'd have more hope, but at 23, I don't know... I reckon I'd be much more positive about him if he didn't give the ball away so much! That'd be a perfect start!

Well your track record on these HG 'miracles' suggests you may come round. Is it correct that you didn't rate any of them not too long ago?

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it might actually be dog!?

Only up until recently many Spurs fans seemed to have a real sceptism towards academy lads (look at views on bentelab and Kane up until recently). The view seemed to be they are decent but we need to buy 'real quality' if we want to progress.

Nearly all fans were positive on mason and his technique is very very good. He spreads the play well of either foot, has a good first touch and can make a yard of space in midfield expertly. The occasional pass goes astray but this isn't down his technique. His problem was fitness and his physical attributes before - everyone at Spurs talked about how technically he was one of the best at the club (this was for a few years) and now that he has really added the physical side to his game I can't wait to see how it all comes together.

For all your criticisms, his pass rate was better than arsenals midfield yesterday and there have been no more than one or two games this season when he hasn't been at least a 7/10.

I know that you are not interested in the pass completion diagram that I posted but the vast majority of his misplaced passes are long ones. His short passing game is as good as anyone's and no Arsenal player had a higher pass completion rate than him yesterday

Well your track record on these HG 'miracles' suggests you may come round. Is it correct that you didn't rate any of them not too long ago?

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it might actually be dog!?

This new batch, admittedly. But I've been burned so many times thinking johnnie Jackson was the answer too our left wing problems, I saw dean marney score those 2 against everton and thought we've found our lampard and thelwell is our...well... Another king! I loved Ledley for being home grown, thought caulker could've been special too. I don't have an aversion to the academy. I'm loving how good kane has turned out to be. I just couldn't see it with them.

I know that you are not interested in the pass completion diagram that I posted but the vast majority of his misplaced passes are long ones. His short passing game is as good as anyone's and no Arsenal player had a higher pass completion rate than him yesterday

Ah I see what you said it now. I didn't mean I didn't want to discuss it. I just couldn't make sense of that graph. Plus it only shows so much.

As for arsenal, well we harried them amazingly of course their pass stats are down. They didn't to us. Neither did Man U when he had a 58% pass success rate.

Am I really the only one who think he isn't very good? Surely not :) I guess england will be calling next if he's that good.

Nearly all fans were positive on mason and his technique is very very good. He spreads the play well of either foot, has a good first touch and can make a yard of space in midfield expertly. The occasional pass goes astray but this isn't down his technique. His problem was fitness and his physical attributes before - everyone at Spurs talked about how technically he was one of the best at the club (this was for a few years) and now that he has really added the physical side to his game I can't wait to see how it all comes together.

That's the thing, wasn't he always pitched as an attacking midfielder? That's what's been quite surprising. His shooting has been pretty terrible, and like I say, doesn't really create anything either. If he can add creaitivity and goals, improve his passing and keep his work rate up then that would be amazing.

That's the thing, wasn't he always pitched as an attacking midfielder? That's what's been quite surprising. His shooting has been pretty terrible, and like I say, doesn't really create anything either. If he can add creaitivity and goals, improve his passing and keep his work rate up then he would be Lionel Messi.

Thought I'd help you out.

Ah I see what you said it now. I didn't mean I didn't want to discuss it. I just couldn't make sense of that graph. Plus it only shows so much.

I agree that the diagram only shows so much, I posted it because you were saying that he misplaced too many passes. What it shows is all of the passes that he made during the game. The green arrows are ones that found a team mate, the red ones were misplaced. We are playing upwards.

Whilst he does have a lower pass completion rate than Bentaleb, he plays a lot more forward passes and long balls. Surely this needs to be considered when discussing his passing accuracy and what role he might being asked to play within the team.

That's the thing, wasn't he always pitched as an attacking midfielder? That's what's been quite surprising. His shooting has been pretty terrible, and like I say, doesn't really create anything either. If he can add creaitivity and goals, improve his passing and keep his work rate up then that would be amazing.

He has certainly played in a more advanced position in the past but that is not the role that he is being asked to fill now

I have to help GY here a little, I don't think mason is as good as is being said on here. He's good but to my eyes not great. Just my opinion, he seems like a good lad, loves the Spurs and will give his all which goes some ways to making up for his deficiencies.
If in two years times we are fighting for 2nd or 3rd I would say he would be one of maybe 3 or 4 we would be thinking isn't good enough for 1st 11.

While it's maybe a bit odd that it's taken a lad 23 years to have a breakthrough season, it's a lot less odd for a midfielder to reach that age before stamping their authority... or even settling into a clear position or defined style.

Look at some of the midfielders that have dominated football for the past 30 years - Zidane, Petit, Keane, Lampard, Xavi, Pirlo, Schweinsteiger, Gascoigne, Platt, Modric - and there's a clear trend of talent becoming controlled and consistent as they approach their mid twenties.

Obviously some players like Alonso, Fabregas or Mattheus started like trains, but in each case the peak was much, much later.

As such, if Mason's natural talent is as good as is said, then Spurs could be in for something special here once he stops trying to get into the team, and instead Spurs build around him.

Funnily enough I reckon the biggest reason for his detractors is that he doesn't quite look the part; there's something in his styling and his gait that says block carrier rather than composer.

I'm guessing nobody will notice such things soon.

Maybe my memory's playing tricks but didn't he get in a couple of very decent long range shots yesterday?

Also there was that 25 yard screamer against Forest in the Capital One Cup back in September. And he managed five from midfield in 18 games for Swindon last season, so he can't be that rubbish.

This will slightly overlap wih the Mason-Bentaleb partnership thread.

Mason may not be the finished article or even on his way to stardom but what some on here fail to appreciate is that a) its working and b) he is working with Bentaleb i.e. the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You can have one superstar and one piece of crap but they may not be as effective as this duo. Hell you can have two superstars yet they may not be as effective as these two.

Right now they click and work so well together its untrue. So Mason may not be the best but he, with Bentaleb, is effective for now anyways and who knows re next season and going forward

Back