• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

If Bentaleb develops as the holder I can see it more the vein of Carrick rather than the more destructive Dier style player. Carrick was more about the angles and cutting off options rather than ball winning per se. Bentaleb could learn this if he had a mind to. He is young but he has undoubted talent.

I've read online that in some of the U-21 games Bentaleb has been played as a holder to see if he can be 'converted' to that role. Maybe Poch thinks he can do that but its a bit early to put him in the 1st team doing it. With injury interrupting things it hasn't helped his progression. I'd be amazed if he doesn't develop though - I watched him at Goodison Park on the last day last season, he played at LB and dominated that side as if he'd been there his whole career. I could well see Poch observing that and thinking he has something he can mould into his own needs.

I'm hoping Bentaleb will come back stronger next year, he's a fantastic talent.

Back to Mason...interesting to read about him needing an op. He isn't at last season's level certainly and that could be something to do with it. What I would say is that he started the season superbly until he was injured at Sunderland. I would go as far to say that he was our best player in those opening 5 games (not a big sample size but still impressive nonetheless). Again a summer of rest could do him the world of good. These guys are going to have big demands on them next season when we're playing CL/PL Wed/Sat.

I didnt say that he wasnt good enough to cover for Dembele, we did get to 5th with him and Bentaleb as a pair so they cant be useless.
More that we have moved on to playing 2 physically imposing CM's behind a 3 and that isnt Mason. However id be happy for him to take the FA and League cup games in that position.

However he started out further forward and he may well have a future there. This squad needs refreshing not a overhaul and swapping out 6 players isnt going to help, especially one who has lost his season to injury
They did ok, but conceded more than twice as many goals as this season, so they weren't brilliant either. Mason for me is an emergency back-up, regardless of position, but we don't need emergency back-ups, we need players that improve the team, or can step in without weakening the team. I have much bigger hopes for Nabil than Mason.

We need to constantly move on and improve, and if you don't move on at the same pace you'll get dropped. Bentaleb has had two years under Poch. How long do you give him? You also need to freshen up the squad and bring in the odd new face or three, so some will have to make way.

1 very good season
1 very poor game
6 months injured

I'm not doubting his ability, but reading between the lines it appears it's more about his attitude.

There's also rumours that 'Poch doesn't rate Njie', our other injured-for-most-of-the-season player. It's just nonsense from Twitter because there's no genuine crisis/bad news to provoke us with.

There's also rumours that 'Poch doesn't rate Njie', our other injured-for-most-of-the-season player. It's just nonsense from Twitter because there's no genuine crisis/bad news to provoke us with.
I'm not on Twitter, and my views have got nothing to do with Twitter.

Did you take that approach to the rumors surrounding the attitude of Capoue/Lennon/Kaboul?

Apparently he came on for us as sub on Sunday?.... I only realised the following day when I saw the match report in the newspaper.

Apparently he came on for us as sub on Sunday?.... I only realised the following day when I saw the match report in the newspaper.
I am actually serious with this comment. I had to nip down for a pee during the second half and it must've coincided with him coming on for Son and the mates I go with didn't tell me there had been a sub while I was away from my seat. Did he actually touch the ball while he was on the pitch?

He actually came on and went centre forward which I still don't get.. He hasn't scored a goal for us yet their is this view that he is a centre forward.

He looks like he has real potential but i can only see that as a wide player personally

When him and Mason were on we were technically down to 9!

When Mason went off on 78 minutes he had made more passes than any player on the pitch, had more touches than any other player on the pitch and had made more tackles than Son, Eriksen and Kane put together.

Back