• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rule changes in football

They won't make it better.

Yellow is meant to be the warning. Red for you are taking the tinkle.

Blue adds nothong to the game at all. Use the cards you already have.
That's more like it :)

If rampant football hooliganism in the 80's didn't 'destroy' the game....I'm sure the ref having a blue card won't.

I don't think 'blue cards and sin bins ' will 'destroy the game'....or is that clickbait headline?
Why would he say something just to give the presspack clickbait? Right or wrong, it's clearly his honest opinion. He says what he feels.

I will never get Tottenham out of my blood but increasingly prefer to watch park football because of the way VAR is sucking the joy out of the sport at the top level, So I can see why he feels that yet another intervention to potentially spoil the flow of the beautiful game is unlikely to help.

It's not a game any more it's a platform for selling beer, takeaways and betting. The time VAR take to make a decision should be use for more advertising, a real opportunity missed.

In thailand. In a bar last night talking to a guy who used to work at man utd. Now obviously i take any itk with a ton of salt. But if some of the stories he says are true. Then it's mental. Rashford is fudged. Their med team allegedly fudged up. So they can't get insurance. So they have to keep him and give him new contracts. Otherwise he could sue the club for ruining his career.

Other stories, but it was pub talk. So i won't share.

Premier League statement​

Thu 11 April 2024, 13:40|Tottenham Hotspur

The Premier League today (Thursday 11 April) confirmed that Semi-Automated Offside Technology will be introduced to the competition in the 2024/25 season.
Here is the statement from the Premier League in full...

At a Premier League Shareholders’ meeting today, clubs unanimously agreed to the introduction of Semi-Automated Offside Technology.
The new system will be used for the first time in the Premier League next season, and it is anticipated the technology will be ready to be introduced after one of the autumn international breaks.
The technology will provide quicker and consistent placement of the virtual offside line, based on optical player tracking, and will produce high-quality broadcast graphics to ensure an enhanced in-stadium and broadcast experience for supporters.

So being introduced at some point after the start of the season.
Watch us have a critical goal incorrectly chalked off for offside the week before the new tech is deployed!

Thu 11 April 2024, 13:40|Tottenham Hotspur

The Premier League today (Thursday 11 April) confirmed that Semi-Automated Offside Technology will be introduced to the competition in the 2024/25 season.
Here is the statement from the Premier League in full...

At a Premier League Shareholders’ meeting today, clubs unanimously agreed to the introduction of Semi-Automated Offside Technology.
The new system will be used for the first time in the Premier League next season, and it is anticipated the technology will be ready to be introduced after one of the autumn international breaks.
The technology will provide quicker and consistent placement of the virtual offside line, based on optical player tracking, and will produce high-quality broadcast graphics to ensure an enhanced in-stadium and broadcast experience for supporters.

So being introduced at some point after the start of the season.
Watch us have a critical goal incorrectly chalked off for offside the week before the new tech is deployed!

I've lived with it for 60 odd years a few more games wont make much difference.

Hope the Lino’s are in on it and can raise the flags early.

I hate seeing players risk injury playing on when it’s clearly getting called back.

Take it out of their hands. Make them assistant refs. Let the ai blow the whistle for offside.

That definitely has to be the goal. The same for whether the ball is in play or not (same as goal-line technology) and suddenly you have 3 refs and surely no need for VAR.

It's an improvement. You should know almost instantly if it's offside or not (if used properly).

Just another shift to the game becoming 'officiating', rather than 'football'. Just let the linesmen raise their flags and get on with.

Just another shift to the game becoming 'officiating', rather than 'football'. Just let the linesmen raise their flags and get on with.

Not sure how getting offside calls becoming more accurate and faster, is stopping the game being football.

I don't like var. Have said so numerous times. But if we can have instant and correct calls for offside done instantaneously. Brilliant. AI is at the level now where it should be able to decide. Let the linesmen and ref decide on fouls etc...

Why would he say something just to give the presspack clickbait? Right or wrong, it's clearly his honest opinion. He says what he feels.

I will never get Tottenham out of my blood but increasingly prefer to watch park football because of the way VAR is sucking the joy out of the sport at the top level, So I can see why he feels that yet another intervention to potentially spoil the flow of the beautiful game is unlikely to help.
I know what you mean. Not VAR in itself, but the biased way it is implemented. Yes it catches some incidents it should and misses some it shouldn't, but it really highlights the inconsequential way it's used while wasting lots and lots of time. Little if anything has gotten better overall, just more visible and even more annoying. The same teams gets freebies and the same teams get shafted.

But the real problem for me is the institutionalized cheating. You simply cannot get by today without cheating. A Norwegian player got bumped hard today and remained on the deck, while the ref let the play go on. The aftermath was VAR shoulda coulda, but I'll have to admit that part of me thought "you'll reap what you sow". Nothing towards this particular player, but the sport itself. Even commentators acknowledge and often praise cheating as "part of the game", "clever", "smart to fall easily" etc. If you cry wolf enough times and play dead after being brushed, the play will continue while someone is really really hurt. It will be a part of the game too, they players has set themselves up for it, and I won't feel QUITE as bad for them as if they were real men.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. Not VAR in itself, but the biased way it is implemented. Yes it catches some incidents it should and misses some it shouldn't, but it really highlights the inconsequential way it's used while wasting lots and lots of time. Little if anything has gotten better overall, just more visible and even more annoying. The same teams gets freebies and the same teams get shafted.

But the real problem for me is the institutionalized cheating. You simply cannot get by today without cheating. A Norwegian player got bumped hard today and remained on the deck, while the ref let the play go on. The aftermath was VAR shoulda coulda, but I'll have to admit that part of me thought "you'll reap what you sow". Nothing towards this particular player, but the sport itself. Even commentators acknowledge and often praise cheating as "part of the game", "clever", "smart to fall easily" etc. If you cry wolf enough times and play dead after being brushed, the play will continue while someone is really really hurt. It will be a part of the game too, they players has set themselves up for it, and I won't feel QUITE as bad for them as if they were real men.
Superb post.

If AI can make the correct calls, then yes, the whistle should blow straight away
I guess you’re programming it to know interfering or not interfering with play as well, not sure how easy that is? Otherwise there’s going to be a hell of a lot more offside calls if the AI flag goes up whenever a player is in an offside position.

Not against it by the way just not sure how it would work with current rules and so much left to interpretation.

Back