• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rose Hanbury

It's a terrible illness, like most of us I've lost friends and loved ones and its heart breaking to see the life drain from them and their realisation of their fate. It's a selfish view I'd rather my mum had had a heart attack than the 2 years of agony she suffered.

I take your point, but Steve Jobs is a bad example. He tried to fight cancer with veganism and crystals and dream catchers and shunned science. Idiot.

All I remember about his case was lollypops, and I can't even remember the context tbh.

It's a terrible illness, like most of us I've lost friends and loved ones and its heart breaking to see the life drain from them and their realisation of their fate. It's a selfish view I'd rather my mum had had a heart attack than the 2 years of agony she suffered.

I get where you’re coming from. My mum has dementia. Goes without saying I’d like her to be around as long as possible but seeing the other poor sods in her care home and the level they are at, well, I don’t want her to diminish to that level. So I totally get what you mean.

I get where you’re coming from. My mum has dementia. Goes without saying I’d like her to be around as long as possible but seeing the other poor sods in her care home and the level they are at, well, I don’t want her to diminish to that level. So I totally get what you mean.

Totally understand.

I take your point, but Steve Jobs is a bad example. He tried to fight cancer with veganism and crystals and dream catchers and shunned science. Idiot.

Maybe he knows more than we do about science. When I moved 12 years ago I clearly remember being told on the news 1 in 5 of us will get cancer, this morning I'm told its 1 in 2. Would we all sit back an accept that sort of information about anything else. Why has that number leapt up, what are governments and science doing about it? Watching cats on YouTube and posting on X like the rest of the world.

Maybe he knows more than we do about science. When I moved 12 years ago I clearly remember being told on the news 1 in 5 of us will get cancer, this morning I'm told its 1 in 2. Would we all sit back an accept that sort of information about anything else. Why has that number leapt up, what are governments and science doing about it? Watching cats on YouTube and posting on X like the rest of the world.
Its not a specfic bad story, its just that most other things are being cured better. So its more people surviving the things that would have killed them earlier, not that cancer is getting worse.

Malaria has always been humanity's biggest killer (killing half of everyone who has ever lived)

Both awful diseases. My mother-in-law died with dementia and I remember saying to my husband that he had lost his mum a couple of years before her death. My dad died of cancer and it was a painful end. Life is just sh!t for so many people. I don’t know where it comes from but we need a huge amount of funding for research into so many diseases.

Plenty actually if you read into it, this came out only last week. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68607059

Its not a specfic bad story, its just that most other things are being cured better. So its more people surviving the things that would have killed them earlier, not that cancer is getting worse.

Malaria has always been humanity's biggest killer (killing half of everyone who has ever lived)
It's not that more are necessarily dying from cancer, it's the probability of getting it is 1 in 2.

The best 'cure' at this stage at least, is consistent testing and catching cancer early. Keep getting regular checkups everyone, symptoms or no symptoms....

It's not that more are necessarily dying from cancer, it's the probability of getting it is 1 in 2.

The best 'cure' at this stage at least, is consistent testing and catching cancer early. Keep getting regular checkups everyone, symptoms or no symptoms....
I've always said we have a service plan for our vehicles and a compulsory MOT every year. Yet, for ourselves, not close on care or investment. We're a funny bunch...us humans.

I've always said we have a service plan for our vehicles and a compulsory MOT every year. Yet, for ourselves, not close on care or investment. We're a funny bunch...us humans.

Brits, not humans. It works much better in other countries - Germany, Canada. We have about the latest detection times in the first world, because we don't do preventative healthcare.

Brits, not humans. It works much better in other countries - Germany, Canada. We have about the latest detection times in the first world, because we don't do preventative healthcare.
And the reason for that is we have a free point of entry health service...and people will lean on that , and have expectations of that that are rarely met due to the burden.

Will the majority then become 'preventative' by putting their hand in their own pocket, just as they do with their car?
No. They'll cross their fingers and stick their head in the sand. Yes, I get illness is scary, but it's weird. Isn't death scarier?

Both awful diseases. My mother-in-law died with dementia and I remember saying to my husband that he had lost his mum a couple of years before her death. My dad died of cancer and it was a painful end. Life is just sh!t for so many people. I don’t know where it comes from but we need a huge amount of funding for research into so many diseases.
Euthanasia is the answer, IMO. We aren't supposed to live through all these diseases. We aren't productive after 80.

And the reason for that is we have a free point of entry health service...and people will lean on that , and have expectations of that that are rarely met due to the burden.

Will the majority then become 'preventative' by putting their hand in their own pocket, just as they do with their car?
No. They'll cross their fingers and stick their head in the sand. Yes, I get illness is scary, but it's weird. Isn't death scarier?

Just make free access conditional on having a free annual health check.

Trying finding an NHS dentist, its why we have the worst teeth in the world.

National trust and Public parks are probably the best in the world. I have noticed at a lot of national trust properties it is hard to get a slice of cake these days. Its like everything is geared towards cooked meals.

I've read the article and others about treatments and diagnosis but it doesn't explain the increase in numbers and the reason for it.

Well one reason would be better diagnosis, another would be that stats from the past weren't accurate or calculated correctly. It stands to reason we'd detect more with modern methods just like the chances of survival have increased with modern treatments. Still a long way to go but some of the newer tests coming out will hopefully catch things much earlier.

I hope some form of health MOTs come out, NHS isn't very good at preventative care but does well once you have something is my experience.

Most of the post on here write about early diagnosis, preventative care and better information. Few if any have any medical answer for the increase, years ago we were told smoking was the biggest cause of cancer now far less people smoke yet the figure rises. I'm concerned it might be something in the things we consume or the amount of electronic gadgets we use, even the air we breath.

Back