• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rome

Leeds Spur

Banned
Going with the wife on Friday. Recommended hotels, must see attractions restaurants etc? Surely with the urbane sophisticats on this board you can come up with recommendations!!!? 5 star hotels only please, (hey I don't get out much these days!!)

Last edited:
http://www.hotelquirinale.it/

Though you said 5 star only, this being 4 star - stayed here a few years ago and can recommend.
Did the usual stuff.. coliseum which was impressive, trevi fountain and spanish steps(historical).
Cant remember names of restaurants but we just ate where the Italians did in the centre. Expensive though.

I would consider going for a rented apartment in the centre of Rome as opposed to a five star hotel which are nearly all,on the outskirts and therefore pretty inconvenient. It's nice to be able to walk back to your pad after seeing the sites and gives you another option to eating out, which is hideously expensive in the tourist traps.

As long as you see the Coliseum, the Forum, Trevi Fountain and the Vatican then that's most of the important sites (I've probably missed many others). Thought the sistine chapel was a big letdown, especially since you have to walk through about 500 rooms before you get there. The Vatican is stunning! And that's coming from an atheist.

Capuchini Bone Chapel is a bit of an eye opener.

The Pantheon

We found an amazing bruschetta place here:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps/place?q=La+Bruschetteria+degli+Angeli&hl=en&cid=17237525976821756204

St Peter's Basilica is insane. The sheer scale of everything in there will knock you sideways.

Villa Borghese is a nice park, and there's a hill that overlooks the city.

The one thing I hated about Rome was getting about. The people walking along the streets tend to be very rude and will simply walk into you if you don't move. Take extreme care crossing roads, it's insane. It seems as though traffic lights are simply ignored. Also, try to avoid the restaurants around the tourist areas, the prices are ludicrous.

The Pantheon, if you can go when it's relatively quiet, is fudging amazing IMHO...simple yet powerful...I heartily recommend that any dining you do takes place in the Travastere neighborhood across the river; that's the more 'local' less tourist-trappy place to find great food...agreed with the above on Vatican City, they put the money the thieve to spectacular use, and the Coliseum is fantastic...I personally like Republic Argentina , aka, where Cesar was stabbed Ides Of March, as it is now home to an amazing stray cat shelter which takes up the entire area. If you don't like cats, skip it. If you do, it's amazing...

I love Rome mate, great place...

All I can say is, you CAN see Rome in a day. I've done it!

Trevi Fountain, The Pantheon and the Colluseum were the bits I liked. Vatican City is just Buckingham Palace with religeous nutters and funny handshakes to get through certain doors. I stayed out in Sutri to the north of the city and that was banging. Little town built into the mountain side with a couple of amazing restaurants and a club/girly bar full of mafia!

Capuchini Bone Chapel is a bit of an eye opener.

The Pantheon

We found an amazing bruschetta place here:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps/place?q=La+Bruschetteria+degli+Angeli&hl=en&cid=17237525976821756204

St Peter's Basilica is insane. The sheer scale of everything in there will knock you sideways.

Villa Borghese is a nice park, and there's a hill that overlooks the city.

The one thing I hated about Rome was getting about. The people walking along the streets tend to be very rude and will simply walk into you if you don't move. Take extreme care crossing roads, it's insane. It seems as though traffic lights are simply ignored. Also, try to avoid the restaurants around the tourist areas, the prices are ludicrous.

Thatnks for this, anyone know of restaurant suggestions that are away from the main tourist areas?

Looks like Travastere is a good place to stay as well??

What's the level of English like over there?

I'm OK with French and passable with Spanish but I don't know any Italian!

http://www.oliverglowig.com/

IMG_4475s-Copia.jpg

img_3121.jpg

04.jpg

Back