• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Re: Soldado - Official! - Medical Completed!!

Yup, Soldado does need to step it up goals wise. I like him as a striker but his job is to score goals, goals which will win us games and improve our goal difference. He's had chances but not scored from open play.

I think his role is made harder now that most teams operate a 451 of some description; whether that's a 451 or a 4231 etc, it now means that he has two defenders with an eye on his every move. He has two defenders trying to keep him in their pockets, watching his runs and with the determined effort that he doesn't score.

A lot then comes in to his movement. If he can keep the defenders busy, buying space for other players then he has been effective for the team, even if his solo statistics don't hold for much.

I think that's the story with Soldado at the moment. He is keeping defenders busy and this allows for chances to be taken by the likes of Sigurdsson who can run in to spaces vacated by the opposition defence. He has worked well with his movement and link play and he keeps himself busy but the success of all strikers appears to be measured by their goal return, rightly it wrongly.

So Soldado has played well at times, offered up support for team mates including assists but needs to start taking chances and scoring goals which will see us keep in contention for the top spot. Come on Soldado!

I love how Defoe and Ade got so much **** for lack of goals last season yet with Soldadi the excuse is lack of service. Defoe and Ade did not have the luxuries that Soldado currently has and i'm pretty confident both would have more than 2 goals if played from the start of the season.

Agreed. He's new, but it will be interesting what avb does if he can't get soldado scoring.

The success of all strikers appears to be measured by their goal return, rightly it wrongly.

Yup, and it could also be said that the success of a team can be measured by the goal return of their strikers. If we have serious aspirations of the title, or even top 4, we need top 4 strikers/production.

You look at the success of the Man Yoo's and the goals from Van Persie and Rooney and their 30-40 goals each, and that's a big part. Sure, they have quality playing behind those two players, but those two produce...even on days when their team is not playing well or providing much 'service'.

As far as 'service' goes, the service to Suarez has at times been spotty at best. But somehow he still scores goals, wins penalties, has assists etc. In other words, he's a top 4 striker/production.

Anyway, and Bale masked this problem, we can't keep relying on midfielders to score goals. Not sure Defoe or Ade, especially in their current version, would get in to any other top 4 side. So, that leaves Soldo, and for all his 'movement', he's going to need to score a lot...with or without 'service'.

Strikers new to the league this season

Bony
Van Wolfswinkel
Osvaldo
Negredo
Jovetic
Eto'o
Anelka
Altidore

and not one of them has been really good or banging in goals. It takes time ffs..

the cream always rises to the top

no worries about Bobby Soldado

Strikers new to the league this season

Bony
Van Wolfswinkel
Osvaldo
Negredo
Jovetic
Eto'o
Anelka
Altidore

and not one of them has been really good or banging in goals. It takes time ffs..

Good point. Lets not be too quick to judge.

Soldado will score plenty for us, don't worry.

Henry....

However, doubts were raised about his ability to adapt to the quick and physical English game when he failed to score in his first eight games.[4] After several difficult months in England, Henry even conceded that he had to "be re-taught everything about the art of striking."[4] These doubts were dispelled when he ended his first season at Arsenal with an impressive goal tally of 26

Bergkamp....

On the opening day of the 1995–96 league season, Bergkamp made his full debut against Middlesbrough. He struggled to adapt to the English game and failed to score in the club's next six league matches, prompting ridicule by the national press.

Lineker.....

failed to score in first 6 games for Tottenham

sh!t happens, even to the best of them

I love how Defoe and Ade got so much **** for lack of goals last season yet with Soldadi the excuse is lack of service. Defoe and Ade did not have the luxuries that Soldado currently has and i'm pretty confident both would have more than 2 goals if played from the start of the season.

Lack of service is a smaller point for me, much more important is the fact that it's only been 6 games.

Rating a striker based only on goals is to me a bit silly in the first place, but for a poacher I can accept it for the sake of argument at least. Rating any striker based on goals alone over just 6 games is more than just a bit silly though.

Look at the goalscoring records both Ade and Defoe have in the PL. If you can describe their records without using the word "patchy" or some largely equivalent word I would be surprised.

van Persie had a 10 game stretch where he only scored one goal last season. Defoe and Ade have both had worse I'm sure.

It's not excuses, it's an explanation...

Re: Official - Soldado

So pleased for Bobby Soldier, fantastic goal, hopefully he will go on a scoring run now !!!

So pleased for Bobby Soldier, fantastic goal, hopefully he will go on a scoring run now !!!

Yeah, great for him and us to get the goal. Loved the celebration from the lads too.

Such a cool customer, it's a great chance of course, but that first touch is perfect and the finish just looks unstoppable. Didn't look like a striker that hasn't scored from open play yet, looked like an in form predator at the top of his game. Great to see.

Feed the solider and he will score... (no racist!)

Lack of service is a smaller point for me, much more important is the fact that it's only been 6 games.

Rating a striker based only on goals is to me a bit silly in the first place, but for a poacher I can accept it for the sake of argument at least. Rating any striker based on goals alone over just 6 games is more than just a bit silly though.

Look at the goalscoring records both Ade and Defoe have in the PL. If you can describe their records without using the word "patchy" or some largely equivalent word I would be surprised.

van Persie had a 10 game stretch where he only scored one goal last season. Defoe and Ade have both had worse I'm sure.

It's not excuses, it's an explanation...

Well said

A surprising burst of pace a couple of times today, especially once down the right channel in the first half.

I think soldado is a slightly more intelligent player than defoe doesnt always go for the shot if it isnt on. I think ade is a great player but had a massice attitude problem. Could be one of the besr players in the world of his attitude wasnt so bad.

No. I have had a drink.

I just can't warm to him.

In time, I'm confident that you'll feel differently. He's adapting to the team and vice versa at the moment. He's a class act, he proved that with Valencia.

Back