• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Re: Soldado - Official! - Medical Completed!!

Does nothing Defoe cant do, looks like a waste of money

yeah clearly youve never seen Soldado play before

i really dont know what you expected :lol:

I think Soldado is very unlucky not to have 4 or 5 goals by now, he will come good eventually. Just by watching his movement in the box you can see he has it.

It would help if we had wingers that crossed the ball occassionally but we're set up for townsend to come in and shoot on his left and siggy on his right. We had no real crosses from the left side to day at all because of playing a right footed left back.

And you tell people to bore off? :ross:

:lol:. i just dont think he others more than defoe, he got slaughtered for playing much better than soldado has done so far. i hope he does well but haven't been impressed at all

That chest control for his chance in the first half was outstanding. Should have got on the score sheet today though with some of the chances we were creating, and by the end of the game he looked visibly tired.

It's still early days, but from what I can see I reckon he'll end up being more like an upgraded version of Pavlyuchenko as opposed to a real world class Berbatov/Klinsmann type for us. I have no doubt that he will score goals, whether we'll get £26m worth from him is another matter entirely.

but he has never been anything like them.

people see foreign name, big price tag, and want the skills of Berba and the flair of Klinsmann without knowing what Soldado is actually like

weird

Modric THFC;434362[B said:
]It would help if we had wingers that crossed the ball[/B] occassionally but we're set up for townsend to come in and shoot on his left and siggy on his right. We had no real crosses from the left side to day at all because of playing a right footed left back.

that is true. townsend has a very good cross on him so im surprised we havent tried it

The vast majority of Soldado's goals come from crosses, and we don't have the space to counter in most games so he'll have to adapt. We're also not really creating that many clear chances just yet, certainly not compared to Valencia at their height, so he's had to improvise and get off some difficult shots.

He is very clever though, even without much familiarity he looks sharp and dangerous and I'm sure as our attack starts revving up, the goals will come. :)

I think Soldado is very unlucky not to have 4 or 5 goals by now, he will come good eventually. Just by watching his movement in the box you can see he has it.

I agree. In a few games now he has been denied by some incredible saves from either the keeper or a defender playing keeper. And almost all of his opportunities have come off broken plays. I expect him to finish soon, especially as Eriksen, Lamela, and Holtby get more playing time.

Personally I think he played well today and was unlucky to not get on the score sheet. If it wasn't for some cracking saves he would have grabbed a brace.

but he has never been anything like them.

people see foreign name, big price tag, and want the skills of Berba and the flair of Klinsmann without knowing what Soldado is actually like

weird

I meant in terms of ability and impact at Spurs. Berbatov and Klinsmann were nothing like each other either, but both were exceptional forwards for us.

I do think we'll see more goals from Soldado when we have Lennon back in the team, whipping in crosses into the box. Hopefully we can then finally settle the "Lennon's crossing is ****, no it's not **** it's just the strikers have **** movement" debate.

Does nothing Defoe cant do, looks like a waste of money

It's not always about what you can do, it's about what you actually do.

Take those two penalty kicks. Yeah, Defoe could have scored both of those. Sometimes.

It's about him following up seemingly every shot, looking for that rebound. Yeah, Defoe could have done that that, sometimes.

It's about him having good touches and passes in and around the box with consistency. Yeah, Defoe could have done that, sometimes.

He's different class mate. Defoe struggles to get games for England, sometimes even to get in the squad. Soldado is close to being a starter for Spain. Perhaps unspectacular in that he won't often do what no others can. But what he can do I think he will do with a much higher consistency, and for a striker that's very important.

Some of the comments in here are laughable! How long into the season are we? Has he had any decent service? Did the keeper not pull off a couple of great saves from him today? Give him a chance, nearly as bad as some of the comments about Lamela after the game Thursday

He was excellent today - always busy and his movement is quality. Yeah he didnt score and his finishing wasnt up-to-scratch but his movement created space for others and his link up play was fairly good.

Who is making excuses for him?

Nobody has tried to portray him as some hold up monster, as a powerful or speedy striker, as someone who is particularly skillful or excellent at dribbling.

What he will do is move well and score goals from inside the box if we make opportunities. So he's reliant on the midfielders. If we get our creativity sorted out and find him in the box on a regular basis, he'll score a ****load of goals. If we don't, he'll do **** all and be a huge flop.

But nobody as far as I've seen has made him out to be what he's not.

A post from another thread about Soldado being touted as something he's not in another thread. People are far far too quick to judge.

He'll be one of those that once he gets his first goal in open play, then the flood gates will open.

His movement and anticipation of crosses, passes and rebounds is fantastic. He always seems to be where the ball is - or very close - when in the box. That's where he's miles better than Defoe.

Soldado needs to be a bit sharper with his finishing, and when that happens, he'll score plenty of goals for us.

He was excellent today - always busy and his movement is quality. Yeah he didnt score and his finishing wasnt up-to-scratch but his movement created space for others and his link up play was fairly good.

This, he was getting in good positions and having good attempts on target. The Cardiff keeper played a blinder. It happens from time to time.

Back