• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

RIP Cyrille Regis

DevonSpur

David Bentley
cr3.jpg
cr2.jpg
cr1.jpg

Cyrille Regis, the former West Brom and England forward, has died aged 59.

He scored 112 goals in 297 appearances for the Baggies before joining Coventry City for £250,000 in 1984.

He was a pioneer for black footballers in the game when he played alongside Laurie Cunningham and Brendon Batson at The Hawthorns.

Regis, who was appointed an MBE in 2008, returned to West Brom as a coach before becoming a football agent.

The trio of Regis, Cunningham and Batson, nicknamed the Three Degrees by their manager Ron Atkinson, were subject to racist abuse from fans during the late 1970s.

They were honoured with a 10ft statue, called The Celebration, which was unveiled in West Bromwich in 2014.

At the time, Regis said: "We were part of that first generation of black players in this country and I'm sure that if you ask any second generation player they will tell you they were inspired by Laurie. That's why the statue will be so important."

Real shame. He was a great striker who has passed on far too early.

RIP

So sad....apart from that goal that won him goal of the season in the late '70's,remember him giving Mabbutt a good shoulder barge (always thought it was a free kick)in the '87 cup final for Houghton to score that diving header.

A very good player who was hard as nails, i was on a couple of coaching courses with him and he was a real top bloke. RIP.

I hate to say it but all too often when someone passes away the tributes can come over as a bit false, but not with big Cyrille. By all accounts it sounds like he was a genuinely good man and I'd imagine that you're glad to have met him, Parklane1.

Wow, this is just so sad. Only 59. I spent my early years in the UK and a good part of my teens travelling over for regular holidays, during which I'd load up on all sorts of football merchandise. Remember being thrilled to get a Cyrille Regis collectors card (maybe it was just a Panini sticker). He just had this aura about him and I wished he'd played for Spurs.

Sad news, always a player I feared when he played against us. Shame that clubs like WBA and Coventry will never be able to have players of his class in the present climate.

I just watched a documentary on iPlayer about the "Blacks vs Whites football game" in the 70s. Quite interesting stuff, fronted by Adrian Chiles, mostly about WBA

one of my very first memories of going to the lane with my old man was this one :
, cyrille didn't score but I remember being this young kid who was petrified every time he was in our box.

I hope some spaniards were watching the tributes that were paid to a man who must have borne the brunt of the worst chants but never let it affect his game. RIP Cyrille.

@iammoallim

Johan Cruyff recounted in his autobiography My Turn that he wanted to sign Cyrille Regis as Marco van Basten's replacement

DTmJC_sXcAEgf6r.jpg

Back