• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Repairing cracked Iphone screens

I know of several people who have cracked the screens and all of them have said they have been quoted some stupid amount of cash so they all just deal with a cracked screen. Seems fairly stupid that repairing the screen of a phone cost more than a car window.

The cost is a tinkle take, it almost appears as if they don't want to repair the broken screens and so are using a tactic which discourages people from having their screens repaired. Why? I don't know.

I'm gonna probably buy that ?ú19 kit. I saw it when I was searching and that it was recommended here too makes me think it's worth a go.

I've tried and they say that the earliest I can upgrade is June... tempted to call them to say that I'll leave them, as I probably will once the current contract expires. If they want to offer me a new deal and an early upgrade then I'd have to consider though.

No need for one, just buy the full screen assembly (screen/digitizer/frame) and it's all screws... No heatgun/hairdryer required

This X 1000

DO NOT attempt to remove the digitiser from the screen as this is pretty much impossible to do neatly and is just a stupid way to do it.
I moved to Spain last year and quickly found out that devices don't like tiled floors as much as carpet, and ended up with a smashed iPad, iPhone 4 and wife's 3Gs.

Fixed them all in the end, but in a nutshell;

- iPhone 4 was pretty tricky , in hindsight would have paid Apple.
- iPad was fairly easy but parts expensive
- 3GS was the easiest of the lot.

In fact, I have a feeling the 3Gs is the only one you can just slot the old screen off and new one in without needing to the take the whole thing apart - it was much, much easier than the other devices.

I stored some notes on it somewhere, will dig them out and post the instructions I followed later today.

I know of several people who have cracked the screens and all of them have said they have been quoted some stupid amount of cash so they all just deal with a cracked screen. Seems fairly stupid that repairing the screen of a phone cost more than a car window.

For the iPhone 4 and iPad you need to take the entire phone apart, literally a 90% teardown. Lots can go wrong I guess :)

Actually, was easier to find than I thought.

I bought one of these;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iPhone-3G...Parts_Tools&hash=item4aadc9e74d#ht_3350wt_922

and followed the instructions here:
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iPhone-3GS-Front-Panel-Assembly/2029/1

The 3GS is the _only_ version where the lcd screen can be removed from the front glass without a heat gun (its just screws / tape) so you actually only need to buy new front glass and not a new lcd. However, its important you get the full front glass frame (with the home button, speaker, frame etc. attached - as in the the ebay link above). You'll also need screwdrivers and a plastic sucker thing to pull off the screen - most ebay sellers will include this.

It took me maybe only 10 minutes to follow this method. As mentioned above I found the 3GS much easier to fix than all other models.

Any questions let me know - I spend ****** weeks battling with this brick and realised if you get the right parts/insutructions its really easy, get 'misguided' instructions and it's near impossible.
This isn't helped by ebay sellers and some 'fix it' guides spouting gonad*s either!

Back