• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Repairing cracked Iphone screens

El Guepardo

Rafael Van Der Vaart
Anyone have a clue how to go about doing this? I cracked my Iphone 3Gs screen to pieces, didn't have insurance which covered, now need to somehow work out how to repair the screen.

How on earth did you manage that? My iphone screen seems like it could resist a bomb blast, amount of brick that's happened to it and it's not even scratched.

I dropped it down some stairs when I was messing about playing a game going up the stairs; stupid I know. The phone bounced off a few steps and bang the screen is cracked.

Have seen loads of cracked iPhones.

Guy at work dropped his from no more than 10 inches from the ground and BANG........splinters.

Doubt they are alone, but my fix would be to get something Android!!!!!

I'm sure there's a way to get screen repair kits but I don't know which ones are good, or if they are reliable.

[video=youtube;4mboB8p-sdw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mboB8p-sdw[/video]

or

deleted link

Last edited:
Fair enough, I've barely had dealings with them so have no idea what to expect either way from the shop.

Thanks for the video link, looks kinda fiddly but I guess it's the only way to go about saving myself the money. Someone at work said she thought it would cost only ?ú6 to repair, seems a bit ambitious but if only I can find the right equipment.. maybe.

If you do it yourself whilst in warranty don't forget it will void.

personally, I'd look into the more independant phone shops, and not the national branded types at getting it fixed (price fixed no doubt).

Wanna mention that you can send it away on that site posted above for ?ú40.

I took the link down as they wanted the money up front before giving an address where to send it... with it being in Merseyside one thinks that site may be snide.

If you do it yourself whilst in warranty don't forget it will void.

personally, I'd look into the more independant phone shops, and not the national branded types at getting it fixed (price fixed no doubt).

Wanna mention that you can send it away on that site posted above for ?ú40.

Warranty is long gone, I'm in my last few months of contract so just want to get phone repaired so I don't have to use the pathetic cheap, plastic flip phone that I've been resigned to using for the past couple weeks. I can get by with the crap phone but it's hardly ideal. If my repair job goes wrong, I figure that I've lost nothing as the phone is already broken and I'd just need to sit it out until the time of my early upgrade arrives in mid June.

You could try these guys, North Finchley area. Seems they do it whle you wait.

http://www.gizmo-direct.com/index.php

Maybe send them as email, see if its an actual shop. I think its stupid on there part if it is snide that if you go to google street view it comes back as Beyond the fringe hairdressers lol

http://www.gizmo-direct.com/contact.php

I wouldn't send them it in the post in case its snide like the link posted before, but if its an actual shop you can walk in and pay the ?ú35 it says on the site.

I fixed mine when i cracked it, screens are cheap on eBay and loads of videos on youtube show you how to do it. Even made a bit of money fixing other peoples for a while too,... Its easy enough, just patience and a steady hand ;-)

I fixed mine when i cracked it, screens are cheap on eBay and loads of videos on youtube show you how to do it. Even made a bit of money fixing other peoples for a while too,... Its easy enough, just patience and a steady hand ;-)

Did you have a heat gun.

If it is only the outer digitizer (touch screen overlay) and glass, and not the lcd panel within then you can do it yourself if you have the following:

-Reasonable skill
-Access to YouTube
-a tenner

Buy yourself a new digitizer from ebay (sort by lowest price and buy the one that
seems to be selling the most...a good indicator). You'll likely even get the tools along
with it if you can't borrow some.

I've changed 3 screens on the missus's iphones 3, then 3gs before our youngest growing out of the terrible 2s, combined with a big, fat cover gave me some respite!

Good luck...

Edit: re above. Hairdryer will do fine.. I have a heat gun and didn't bother with it, just used the dryer

Last edited:
Back