• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Registering a company

monkeybarry

Ian Walker
Does anyone know - if you are setting up a company to trade the UK, do you HAVE to register it with companies house?

I ask as i beleive my letting agents are trying to use a faux company to charge "professional cleaning"

Does anyone know - if you are setting up a company to trade the UK, do you HAVE to register it with companies house?

I ask as i beleive my letting agents are trying to use a faux company to charge "professional cleaning"

Yes you do, if you don't want to break the law!

All sole traders need to be registered

Tell them your work will pay for the clean as part of a relocation

And they need a full invoice, with VAT details and company number

They might just brick their pants

Tell them your work will pay for the clean as part of a relocation

And they need a full invoice, with VAT details and company number

They might just brick their pants

going down that route pretty much - they seriously picked in the wrong person if they want a fight on details!
(have a 26page doc discrediting their and the inventory clerks claims so far, including possibly disputing the inventory check out fee)

i hate estate agents with a passion

going down that route pretty much - they seriously picked in the wrong person if they want a fight on details!
(have a 26page doc discrediting their and the inventory clerks claims so far, including possibly disputing the inventory check out fee)

i hate estate agents with a passion

Agreed. Most of them are muppets.

Not as bad as recruitment, but close.

I would advise that I have now spoken to the LL who had been away for a few days.

I would advise that they have requested that the sum of ?ú200 be held back from the deposit.

As you are aware the property was professionally cleaned when you moved in. The check out reflects this. We understand that you did not have professional cleaners to clean the property. Our professional cleaning company Abbey Cleaning have costed the cleaning as per the check out at ?ú140 + vat . This is made up of ?ú55 for the oven and ?ú85 for the rest of the general cleaning + vat . Total ?ú168.

The LL has also requested a fair and nominal compensation amount towards the kitchen work top of ?ú32. This is a very fair amount, also agreed with the inventory company.
This totals ?ú200
Your deposit amount is ?ú1125
Less the check out fee as per your terms and conditions ?ú111.00
Less the above deductions ?ú200
Total to be returned ?ú814.00
Please can we have your comments and then I can have our accounts release the sum of ?ú814, through your bank.
------------------
Dear x,

Please see below;

Cleaning ?ú168.00
I advise that neither the check in inventory nor AST state the property was professionally cleaned prior to check in and therefore dispute this claim. The property was cleaned to a high domestic standard, greater than that stated on the check in inventory in many places. I do not authorise this sum to be held back.
Could you please be specific regarding the name of the company from whom you obtained the cleaning quote and also forward a copy of the quote including the company registration number.
Our proposed deduction - ?ú00.00
I do not authorise this sum to be held back

Work surface ?ú32.00
I advise "agent" were informed of the condition and poor durability of the kitchen work surface a variety of times throughout tenure and consider this proposed deduction to be erroneous. I do not authorise this sum to be held back.
Our proposed deduction - ?ú00.00
I do not authorise this sum to be held back.

Check out fee
Please forward a copy of the invoice detailing how this fee has been calculated and await further instruction.
At present I do not authorise this sum to be held back.

Return of non disputed sum;
I require the non disputed ?ú814.00 returned. Return of this amount does not constitute full and final settlement.

------------------------------

The checkout was such poor quality and i think over priced, im gonna challenge that also.

Yes you do, if you don't want to break the law!

All sole traders need to be registered

That might be bad advice mate. I know you have to register with HMRC but I don't remember having to register with Companies House. Been a LONG time since I was studying, but I'm pretty positive in fact.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I'm certain. A sole trader gets none of the protections of being a limited liability company and I think CANNOT register with companies house. You have to become a ltd. company to register.

Last edited:
That might be bad advice mate. I know you have to register with HMRC but I don't remember having to register with Companies House. Been a LONG time since I was studying, but I'm pretty positive in fact.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I'm certain. A sole trader gets none of the protections of being a limited liability company and I think CANNOT register with companies house. You have to become a ltd. company to register.

the info i found was this;
All forms of companies (as permitted by the United Kingdom Companies Act) are incorporated and registered with Companies House and file specific details as required by the current Companies Act 2006

but its wikipedia and i want to avoid having to read the Companies Act 2006 if i can.

the info i found was this;
All forms of companies (as permitted by the United Kingdom Companies Act) are incorporated and registered with Companies House and file specific details as required by the current Companies Act 2006

but its wikipedia and i want to avoid having to read the Companies Act 2006 if i can.

That's the entire point though mate, you aren't a company, you are a sole trader. Just found this:

Starting Up as a Sole Trader

Sole traders do not need to notify Companies House, nor deal with any administrative or accounting requirements which are required of limited companies.

As a general rule, you must register with HMRC is you decide to go self-employed once you start working for yourself.
http://www.bytestart.co.uk/set-up-sole-trader.html

It is echoed on a lot of other websites. Maybe you can register your company name as a sole trader but not the actual company. Maybe that's changed?

?ú55 for an oven clean

Are they hiring a topless Russian to do this?

estate agents for you!

im just gonna dispute everything anway - even if i lose it'll mean the agent has to work hard to trawl through the 100+ emails that went back and forth to evidence their claims

That's the entire point though mate, you aren't a company, you are a sole trader. Just found this:

http://www.bytestart.co.uk/set-up-sole-trader.html

It is echoed on a lot of other websites. Maybe you can register your company name as a sole trader but not the actual company. Maybe that's changed?

ok, cheers for that wookie.

im just trying to see if the estate agent is using a bonefide company or pulling a fast one - have asked them to send a copy of the quote invoice, so that may shed some more light.
of course if its a "one man band" professional cleaning company then i cant find out anything about them. (my suspicions are that the inventory clerk's company and the cleaning company have some ties with the agent and i want to use this to discredit any claims they make.)

A sole trader is the simplest, non-regulated form of trading where an individual acts solely on his own account; Apart from registering as self employed with HM Revenue and Customs there is little or no paperwork involved to start trading.

A limited company is considered to be a separate legal entity from its shareholders. The Companies Act provides the legal framework under which companies are incorporated and the regulations under which companies must operate. Companies are subject to statutory regulations which include the filing and reporting of information to Companies House, and, in this respect, are more onerous to administer than sole traders or partnerships.

http://companyregistration.uk-plc.net/sole-trader-42571.htm

ok, cheers for that wookie.

im just trying to see if the estate agent is using a bonefide company or pulling a fast one - have asked them to send a copy of the quote invoice, so that may shed some more light.
of course if its a "one man band" professional cleaning company then i cant find out anything about them. (my suspicions are that the inventory clerk's company and the cleaning company have some ties with the agent and i want to use this to discredit any claims they make.)

Even if they are a one man band, they are obligated to be able to provide you with a letter head detailing where you can find them, so you could as for a quote from the cleaner on letterhead?

Even if they are a one man band, they are obligated to be able to provide you with a letter head detailing where you can find them, so you could as for a quote from the cleaner on letterhead?

ive already asked for that, but its unlikely to help me find if my theory is right or not.
will wait and see what they come back with - have called the three local companies with the same name and cant get through to any of them! (one i know is dissolved)

ive already asked for that, but its unlikely to help me find if my theory is right or not.
will wait and see what they come back with - have called the three local companies with the same name and cant get through to any of them! (one i know is dissolved)

Which agents did you use btw. I'll remember to stay clear of them! ?ú55 to spray a load of Mr Muscle Foam and make myself a cup of tea? I might start cleaning!

Which agents did you use btw. I'll remember to stay clear of them! ?ú55 to spray a load of Mr Muscle Foam and make myself a cup of tea? I might start cleaning!

have you seen how many cleaning franchise companies you can invest in...... their quite a few out there......their mark up price must be large because the percentage of people who want their place clean must be low.....?ú55 for 20 minutes work...jesh...

If I remember my A Level Business Studies (fudge that was brick), only Limited Companies and PLCs need to be registered with Companies' House, but all businesses need to register with HMRC.

Tis standard practice much of this. Im not sure what you can do regarding Check Out Fees if they are stipulated in the contract. As for cleaning, agents often detail that an oven etc must be professionally cleaned. Therefore it really must be done in this way or to this standard. You simply can't allow any inventory check out procedure to take place unless you are present. When our place was inventoried I had already gone around previously with camera and pen and paper. I had to make 21 additions to the inventoiry for damage.

There is nothing to stop you hiring a cheaper professional cleaner but it is fairly black and white. Each time I found a problem I gave them a reasonable time to put it right (2 weeks where it wasn't a health and safety issue) and where they failed to carry out the work in the given time or satisfactorily I documented it and then carried out the work at fair rates I dictated. On finding a garden full of discarded shizzle same process. Get someone in to remove it within x days or I will remove it at my own costs which will be billed on ending the tenancy. I'm well in credit should there be any nonsense :)

Back