• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Redknapp's Autobiography

How do you think he got the Porto job in the first place? Perhaps by doing well at a smaller club?

If we were talking about a manager you rated very highly would you use the same language to describe a CL win? Remember he also won the Uefa Cup the season before that. His record at Porto was absolutely phenomenal, way beyond what can be expected for that club.

Obviously there's not a chance in hell he would go to Palace, that's not what's being discussed here. Which top class, top reputation managers ever do? Why would they.

All I'm trying to say is winning with Porto isn't a massive achievement. As I pointed out, they had a nice route through to the CL final. You're right, he did well at União de Leiria but he only had one season there so it's impossible to say whether he would have been successful long term at that club. If he's such a great manager then why does he need to create factions in the dressing room everywhere he goes and alienate some of the players?

Obvioulsy he's one of the best managers around, but how much more successful would he be at Spurs instead of AVB or if he was here instead of Redknapp during his time? It goes without saying some managers are superior to others, but Jumpers is right to an extent, you need top players to succeed 9 times out of 10. It always baffles me the extent of the blame the England manager gets when the team fails. A manager who has won multiple league titles like Capello couldn't get the job done, the managers change but the players remain largely the same group and some people still haven't quite twigged that maybe the players aren't as good as we think they are.

All I'm trying to say is winning with Porto isn't a massive achievement. As I pointed out, they had a nice route through to the CL final. You're right, he did well at União de Leiria but he only had one season there so it's impossible to say whether he would have been successful long term at that club. If he's such a great manager then why does he need to create factions in the dressing room everywhere he goes and alienate some of the players?

Obvioulsy he's one of the best managers around, but how much more successful would he be at Spurs instead of AVB or if he was here instead of Redknapp during his time? It goes without saying some managers are superior to others, but Jumpers is right to an extent, you need top players to succeed 9 times out of 10. It always baffles me the extent of the blame the England manager gets when the team fails. A manager who has won multiple league titles like Capello couldn't get the job done, the managers change but the players remain largely the same group and some people still haven't quite twigged that maybe the players aren't as good as we think they are.

Blows both ways though. He's alienated some players, but he's also created some real cohesive squads that have been willing to work their socks off for him and that have seemingly thought of him as the best manager around.

You need top players to win league titles in top leagues of course. But if we're talking about success at smaller clubs we're not talking about winning league titles to succeed.

Time will tell how successful AVB will be at Spurs, but his record so far is a fraction of what Mourinho has done. I hope, and think, AVB will be successful. But I can't think of a single decent objective reason to think that he will have as high a chance of succeeding as Mourinho would have had.

I agree that England aren't as good as the English media and the English fans seem to think. Results wise I thought Capello did alright. More or less clean qualification campaigns, not the best World Cup in 2010, but really England were beaten by a very good Germany side after having been rather unlucky not to pull level at 2-2.

Of course he ended up walking/getting sacked for non-sporting reasons. Had to look it up as I didn't know, but I wasn't surprised at all to see that Capello had the highest win % of any of the last 6 permanent England managers (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16957147)

He wasn't perfect, but to me he was a way ahead of Eriksen, McClaren and Hodgson. That list (including Capello) reads like a list of find the odd one out. And Capello was the one that was only allowed to lead England in one international tournament... Can't make this **** up.

[braineclipse;]Capello had... not the best World Cup in 2010

England were awful throughout that WC. Turgid. Awful managerial decisions and tactics as well

[braineclipse;]Capello had... not the best World Cup in 2010

England were awful throughout that WC. Turgid. Awful managerial decisions and tactics as well

Agreed but average players don't help the cause.

I will say though it is entirely the managers fault when they continue to pick Gerrard AND Lampard. If you had 5 world class strikers you wouldn't play all of them, you play the best one/two.

I wonder what Harry and Martin Samual will be thinking now? Whilst England are not overly exciting they are at least well-organised under Roy, and he is now taking some well-timed gambles, perhaps epitomised by Gerard's late run into the box to score.

Harry possibly looking a **** right now?:-k

Agreed but average players don't help the cause.

I will say though it is entirely the managers fault when they continue to pick Gerrard AND Lampard. If you had 5 world class strikers you wouldn't play all of them, you play the best one/two.

Read Carrick got his 32nd cap or something yesterday. That is scandalously low for a player of his age who has been integral to his team winning league titles and a Champions League. Hope Roy starts him from now on.

I wonder what Harry and Martin Samual will be thinking now? Whilst England are not overly exciting they are at least well-organised under Roy, and he is now taking some well-timed gambles, perhaps epitomised by Gerard's late run into the box to score.

I'd imagine they'd be thinking what most of the country is thinking, and that is delight that we're going to the world cup but that we made hard work of an easy qualification group. On a personal note I am delighted to see us playing more attractive and attacking football the last two games, but how much of that is down to the introduction of Townsend into the side? Quite a lot. When Walcott returns no doubt it will go back to as you were.

Hodgson is on a hiding to nothing though. There is no way we have a chance of winning the thing. I just hope he doesn't set out too negatively in the world cup finals.

I'd imagine they'd be thinking what most of the country is thinking, and that is delight that we're going to the world cup but that we made hard work of an easy qualification group. On a personal note I am delighted to see us playing more attractive and attacking football the last two games, but how much of that is down to the introduction of Townsend into the side? Quite a lot. When Walcott returns no doubt it will go back to as you were.

Hodgson is on a hiding to nothing though. There is no way we have a chance of winning the thing. I just hope he doesn't set out too negatively in the world cup finals.

I think in fairness, whilst winning the group would have been most people's expectations for England, It isn't an 'easy' group in my mind. Montenegro, Poland and Ukraine are tough fixtures away from home and they have players who play at a high standard week in, week out.

I accept that Moldova and San Marino are gimmes but that just creates a worse situation for the the proposed top seed because you know that those two aren't going to give the other rivals a game either which means no margin for error in your games against your direct competitors. England did their job, their drew away against all 3 competitors and beat 2 of them at home so imo you can't argue that it is job done. They weren't particularly inspiring, the last 2 fixtures aside but thats another argument.

Italy and Holland are the only other teams that had a comparable style group with 3-4 realistic qualifiers in it and Italy finished with the same points as England whilst Holland blitzed their group.

Just to add, I am not fussed with how England do. I don't really have much interest or patience with the national team but I do think that it is a cop out and easy thing to say that the group was poor and that we should have done it with more ease.

Kerching...probably

Read Carrick got his 32nd cap or something yesterday. That is scandalously low for a player of his age who has been integral to his team winning league titles and a Champions League. Hope Roy starts him from now on.

England managers often overlook players with technical ability (see Hoddle, Joe Cole) in favour of triers like Welbeck or big useless lumps like Emile Heskey.

Amazing really, It feels like he has been in and around the England squad for 10 years or so.. I wonder how many squads he has joined up with but not got on the pitch??..
He must feel like Ben Foster did.. travelling around the world watching David James play while he just went to watch the games lol

What is astonishing about Carrick is that even after moving to United and becoming a fixture in their side, frequently the best team in England and one of the top 5 teams in Europe, he's still been overlooked for England so often. That's a bit special, considering that even squad players at top PL sides tend to get a lot of games for England.

On paper a midfield 3 with Carrick, Gerrard and Lampard looks really special to me. And it looks like a fantastic midfield 3 for international football. And it looks like a midfield 3 that would get the best out of those players a lot of the time.

What is astonishing about Carrick is that even after moving to United and becoming a fixture in their side, frequently the best team in England and one of the top 5 teams in Europe, he's still been overlooked for England so often. That's a bit special, considering that even squad players at top PL sides tend to get a lot of games for England.

On paper a midfield 3 with Carrick, Gerrard and Lampard looks really special to me. And it looks like a fantastic midfield 3 for international football. And it looks like a midfield 3 that would get the best out of those players a lot of the time.

I was about to post something similar. This midfield would have a good balance and would still manage to get Lampard and Gerrard on the pitch, which seems to be one of the conditions of the managers job.

I was about to post something similar. This midfield would have a good balance and would still manage to get Lampard and Gerrard on the pitch, which seems to be one of the conditions of the managers job.

I've said it before, but I actually think it was a bad day for the English national team when Mourinho failed to get Gerrard to Chelsea. I'm quite confident he would have been able to make it work with the two of them on the pitch at the same time and by doing so he would have presented a template to any national team manager.

On paper a midfield 3 with Carrick, Gerrard and Lampard looks really special to me And it looks like a fantastic midfield 3 tfor international football. And it looks like a midfield 3 that would get the best out of those players a lot of the time.

Maybe once - but too old and immobile now. Creative, but lacks a real ball winner. Would be given the runaround by the top international teams imo.

Maybe once - but too old and immobile now. Creative, but lacks a real ball winner. Would be given the runaround by the top international teams imo.

I'm not sure that there is a role for a ball winner in international football anymore

Yeah it's too late now.

Personally i think Carrick should have been the first midfielder on the team sheet for England since his second season with us - perhaps not quite a Gerrard or Lampard level player (at their respective peaks) but would have brought out the best qualities of those around him.

Would clearly have been better 4-5 years back, but would still be good today imo.

Accepting that this midfield would be given the runaround by the top international teams is there a midfield trio or duo that England could put out that wouldn't be?

Has Carrick had a real ball winner next to him at United? At least most of the time he hasn't from what I can remember.

Back