• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ray Wilkins

Very sad news.
It makes life feel very finite indeed when something like this happens and you realise he is not that much older than yourself.

Always polite and thoughtful on Talksport with Alan Brazil. A real classy bloke. RIP Ray you’ll be missed

i was on a course with him a few years ago, great guy who was always interested in what others were doing and asking about their familys etc. RIP

Came across on TV like a nice, thoughtful bloke. At odds with the facts he was an alcoholic who was caught drink driving multiple times, putting other people's lives at risk

Ray Wilkins is a reminder of the despair managers cut adrift can feel

Of all the many moving tributes paid this week to Ray Wilkins, two stand out. One was from Nigel Quashie, who was 17 when Wilkins, as manager of Queens Park Rangers, handed him a daunting Premier League debut at Old Trafford. Quashie thought he had just been taken along for the ride until Wilkins passed him a shirt before kick-off. He played on adrenaline and when, still on a high, he borrowed his manager’s phone after the game to tell his mother what had happened, she told him she was waiting outside. Wilkins had tipped her the wink and made sure that she was there, even paying for her train ticket to Manchester.

Quashie’s tribute, “a real human being with such class”, was echoed by others, not least Ian Holloway. Wilkins’s former QPR team-mate was close to tears on Wednesday afternoon as he told talkSPORT about a “unique human being”, but he sounded saddest when he touched on the final years of Wilkins’s life. “I think deep down there was a sadness sometimes in him because he wanted to be involved in the game and he missed it,” Holloway, now QPR’s manager, said.

“Ray dedicated his life to the game and, without it, I feel there was a sadness in him that nobody, maybe not even his wonderful wife, Jackie, could quite reach. I don’t know if he ever realised how we all felt about him. I hope he felt it.”

i remember watching a football focus bit on him 20 years ago when he was still playing for hibernian at age 40, was still a fit man, terrible loss.

Back