• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ratings vs Anji

All very strong points, but for us to pay in the final of the ER this season will require something like 17 games, to win the CL just 11 for seeded clubs and 13 otherwise. Several of those extra games would have to be shoehorned in at the most critical closing stages of the season.

Just saying.

That's a lot of matches but we a have a strong squad and should be able to cope. Another win in the group stages and we're practically qualified, so we will have a few matches with little or nothing riding on them. A good chance to give the real fringe player some match time.

Lloris - 7
Walker - 6
Chiriches - 6
Kaboul - 5
Fryers - 5
Lamela - 5
Sandro - 6
Dembele - 7
Holtby - 6
Chadli - 6
Defoe - 6

Dawson - 7
Eriksen - 6
Sigurdsson - 5

Dull game of football, not helped by the pitch and them dragging us down to their level. Some real Jekyll and Hyde performances even between the halves. Sandro did very well first half but was poor second half. Kaboul did OK first half and was atrocious prior (or maybe because) of his injury. I bumped Defoe and Chadli's ratings up because they scored, but other than that they were poor too.

Chiriches was very confident but he won't get away with that in the Premiership. Thought Dembele was our most consistent player. Dawson defensively looked a step above when he came on. Lloris pulled off a couple of decent saves. Poor pitch or no, new player or no there is no excuse for Lamela to consistently pass the ball yards either side of where he intended the pass to go. He did show some excellent technique though but he does seem to lack confidence and conviction at the moment. Hopefully as he blends more with the team that will improve and he will go on to demonstrate that he can back that excellent technique up with consistency and a quality end product.

Away from home in Europe, in colder conditions on a bumpy pitch, play poorly and still win 2-0? Any way you slice it, it's an excellent result so although individually players faltered I felt collectively we did OK. Second half would have been more interesting if the opposition hadn't been so poor though. They were the better team in the second half but had very little cutting edge.

Lloris - 7
Walker - 6
Chiriches - 6
Kaboul - 5
Fryers - 5
Lamela - 5
Sandro - 6
Dembele - 7
Holtby - 6
Chadli - 6
Defoe - 6

Dawson - 7
Eriksen - 6
Sigurdsson - 5

Dull game of football, not helped by the pitch and them dragging us down to their level. Some real Jekyll and Hyde performances even between the halves. Sandro did very well first half but was poor second half. Kaboul did OK first half and was atrocious prior (or maybe because) of his injury. I bumped Defoe and Chadli's ratings up because they scored, but other than that they were poor too.

Chiriches was very confident but he won't get away with that in the Premiership. Thought Dembele was our most consistent player. Dawson defensively looked a step above when he came on. Lloris pulled off a couple of decent saves. Poor pitch or no, new player or no there is no excuse for Lamela to consistently pass the ball yards either side of where he intended the pass to go. He did show some excellent technique though but he does seem to lack confidence and conviction at the moment. Hopefully as he blends more with the team that will improve and he will go on to demonstrate that he can back that excellent technique up with consistency and a quality end product.

Away from home in Europe, in colder conditions on a bumpy pitch, play poorly and still win 2-0? Any way you slice it, it's an excellent result so although individually players faltered I felt collectively we did OK. Second half would have been more interesting if the opposition hadn't been so poor though. They were the better team in the second half but had very little cutting edge.

+1. I especially agree with the Lamela comments. He often had the same look of bemusement that Dempsey frequently showed last season. I think he definitely needs a goal to increase his confidence levels so he can display all his skills to best advantage.

All very strong points, but for us to pay in the final of the ER this season will require something like 17 games, to win the CL just 11 for seeded clubs and 13 otherwise. Several of those extra games would have to be shoehorned in at the most critical closing stages of the season.

Just saying.

By the way, I think you've miscounted the number of games.

There's one additional round in the Europa League compared to the Champions League. First knockout round of the EL is the round of 32 whereas the first knockout round of the CL is the round of 16.

Qualifying to the group stage is essentially the same. We had to go through qualifiers when we were in the CL like we had to in the EL.

It's two additional games in the second half of the season.

Lloris - 7
Walker - 6
Chiriches - 6
Kaboul - 5
Fryers - 5
Lamela - 5
Sandro - 6
Dembele - 7
Holtby - 6
Chadli - 6
Defoe - 6

Dawson - 7
Eriksen - 6
Sigurdsson - 5

Good summing up.

Lloris - 6
Walker - 7. Better going forward than defending, as usual.
Chiriches - 6. Curate's egg. Not going to win many high balls, but will create from the back, so more of a Vert back-up than a Dawson back-up.
Kaboul - 5.5.
Fryers - 6. Did nothing wrong. I like Naughton as a RB but think Fryers might be a better LB option.
Lamela - 5. Like asking Rembrand to paint on a pomegranate ...
Sandro - 5. Some good interceptions, as usual, but some sloppy play in dangerous positions, plus the Beast got outmuscled! (Hulk vs the Thing)
Dembele - 7
Holtby - 7. Nice through ball after he spotted Defoe had made himself a yard of space.
Chadli - 6. Mostly anonymous, but the goal was welcome.
Defoe - 7. Like a field goal kicker in American football. Not called on much, but when they are, the expectation is to never miss. That was a great finish.

Dawson - 6
Eriksen - 5.5
Sigurdsson - 5.5

5.5 is an "average" score. I thought Harry K might have got a run rather than risk our main goal threat (in the league), Siggy.

Surprised to see so many low-ish scores for Kaboul. From my memory he had a good game until he got injured. Is there something I'm forgetting?

We need to get the fukk out of this chickenshiit competition.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

We have to get used to playing 2 games a week. I remember a poster on here saying the reason we did not qualify for the ECL in 2010-11 was because we were playing ECL games that season.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

We have to get used to playing 2 games a week. I remember a poster on here saying the reason we did not qualify for the ECL in 2010-11 was because we were playing ECL games that season.

I believe we failed to qualify that season because we put too much into the CL group stage games. It was natural for everyone to be excited about the CL games, but the priority should still have been the league until we had to squad to compete on both fronts.

Some interesting comments re: Europa League.

Jordinho talks a lot of sense when it comes to getting used to playing midweek then weekend fixtures if we want to become a CL team and ultimately a CL regular. There's no doubt there's a big gulf in quality between the CL and Europa, everyone on here claims it's only people in England that devalue the competition and yet when we played our last 16 away game at the San Siro last season it was three quarters empty.

The big thing for me is playing Sundays, you're always playing catch up to your rivals. Of course the top teams don't win every single game so on some occasions you can take advantage when say Arsenal lose/draw on a Saturday, but more often than not the top teams win their games.

I would love to win the Europa AND finish in the top 4 but the competition has taken its toll on our squad in previous seasons.

Back