• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings v Man Utd

I know it was an off day for most of the team but I dont put too much blame on Mason and Bentaleb as when Townsend or Chadli inevitably lost the ball they were outnumbered 4 or 5 to 2 and were getting pressed and forced into all types of errors. It makes me laugh when fans think we just have to turn up to beat Man u They are 3rd in the league for a reason, they have a squad full of top class players, and for us to be still in with an(outside)chance of being in the mix for a top 4 place bodes well for us in the future under Poch. If we get into the top 6 this season with our squad full of average players will be a great achievment.
Poch must take the blame for the tactics and starting line up today

I don't think anyone thinks we just have to turn up to beat Utd, but actually turning up to compete the game would have helped though. I don't think there is any knee jerks here only calling a spade a spade. Bad day at the office etc.

Just back from the game.. It was pretty miserable but LVG had done a number on us. Pressed up on us knowing we wouldnt play it long. When they had it the gap between Dier and Walker was crazy - Not sure if it was Dier's responsibilty to push walker over or walker to call the line over one. Either way fellani dropped between them leaving young free every time. Looked like it could be 7's at one point but they took the 3-0!

Was such a bad day i wouldn't go kneejerk and draw any conclusion on anybody however walker had as bad a game as ive seen in a long time. Ade offered us something different and perhaps we should have gone longer earlier once it was obvious we couldnt play through their midfield.

I know it was an off day for most of the team but I dont put too much blame on Mason and Bentaleb as when Townsend or Chadli inevitably lost the ball they were outnumbered 4 or 5 to 2 and were getting pressed and forced into all types of errors. It makes me laugh when fans think we just have to turn up to beat Man u They are 3rd in the league for a reason, they have a squad full of top class players, and for us to be still in with an(outside)chance of being in the mix for a top 4 place bodes well for us in the future under Poch. If we get into the top 6 this season with our squad full of average players will be a great achievment.
Poch must take the blame for the tactics and starting line up today
Would be good If townsend/Chadli actually got the ball to lose it - I appreciate these two are the normal spacegoats but townsend was back helping defend, but was 2v3 as Mason didn't cover/support. Chadli I agree with struggled, and the only reason I can think he stayed on and not townsend was his height on set pieces.

Would be good If townsend/Chadli actually got the ball to lose it - I appreciate these two are the normal spacegoats but townsend was back helping defend, but was 2v3 as Mason didn't cover/support.

I want Townsend and Chadli out of the team, and maybe Rose too. The time spent posting about those 3 would then have be directed elsewhere. Or at least, I assume it would.

I'm someone who usually defends the team through most things, but I'm very disappointed with that today. Those lads can do a lot better than that.

But you surely realise inconsistency like today is exactly what you have to expect from a team at this stage of its development?

It was a bad day all round, so not rating players, but give poch a bit of credit, after 30 minutes he saw how bad it was and tried to change it by making a early sub in stead of waiting till half time.

I want Townsend and Chadli out of the team, and maybe Rose too. The time spent posting about those 3 would then have be directed elsewhere. Or at least, I assume it would.
It's not spacegoating to call out players who have not been playing well in recent games. The lack of cover provided by Chadli and Townsend have cost us goals recently. Not just today but for example Liverpool's winner.

But you surely realise inconsistency like today is exactly what you have to expect from a team at this stage of its development?
Of course. But they need to share the disappointment otherwise they won't evolve. not dwell on it, but it was an awful performance and they dipped way below expectation.

I understand these days will happen but we have more fight than that

It's all very well us loving the fresh blood coming through but lack of experience is what cost us today. Bentaleb, Mason too quiet at times and stagestruck. Dier :( there is a great player in there I am sure but at fault for two goals. Too much of this going on, he should not be playing week in week out. This was a job for Fazio, who lacks mobility but against this United front line that was not going to be the problem.

Eriksen was anonymous first half but did step up second.

Kane, isolated, not his fault. But someone needs to help him with his offside game.

Ultimately this is one that has to stop with the manager but credit to him for making a tactical change on 30 minutes. I'm a big Mousa fan and think he needs to be in for all the big games - play just one of Chadli/Lamela/Townsend and give the attacking midfield trio licence to switch.

What grates about this match more than anything is that we were so bad we made Man United look good.

Bad day at the office, got to put this behind us and move on. Feels like top 4 has gone and you know what, I'm happy for us to just start planning for next year. But 9 games left, and all very winable. 70+ points still a real target.

Kane, isolated, not his fault. But someone needs to help him with his offside game.

True enough, but it's not always Kane's fault he finds himself offside. There was one situation first half Chadli took so long to play him in it was inevitable. I watched Harry looking around but no way can he keep his eyes on the player about to pass to him AND look directly behind himself along the line in one and the same instant. United looked like they'd been drilled by a sergeant-major the way they kept their back line and they had the huge advantage of having Harry in their sightlines the whole time.

Because if work getting done on the house I've been away for a couple of weeks and was really looking forward to today. Fancied our chances to get three points.
That was awful. What happened to the press? Smalling was allowed 40 yards with the ball through midfield! Smalling!!!!!!
I'm not one for picking on individuals but walker and mason were terrible. But let's be clear here they have both been good this season it's just so Spurs they both pick the same day to have an off day.
Don't what anyone seen Ade do that's getting him praise of any kind, didn't think he did anything if note.

Defenitely worst perfomance of the season, in its most important moment...
On the opposite, MU played their best half starting from SAF retirement. At least I didn't see better and I often watch MU.

Lloris - 3. Conceded 3 goals from 3 shots on target and I can't say all of them were unstoppable (especially the first one).

Walker - 2. I was amazed when he continiously talked to Dier in the beginning of the 2nd half, looking like a teacher and after that making 3 mistakes in the space of 10 minutes. Awful display defensively and nothing useful going forward.
Dier - 1. Was a part of the fault at all goals. Fazio should have started.
Vertonghen - 3. Better than Dier but I can't dismiss his huge regress this season.
Rose - 4. Best among our defenders. One of the best players on the pitch. Still not ideal defensively and poor in attack considering his usual standards.

Mason - 2. Totally lost midfield battle, although tried his best until substitution.
Bentaleb - 2. Would have got 3 or may be even 4, because was solid in 2nd half. But his mistake led to MU's 3rd goal.

Townsend - 1. His sub on 30th minute and my full support of such Pochettino's decision tell everything themselves.
Eriksen - 2. Another anonymous perfomance against top-side. Was often outmuscled and made several easy mistakes while passing in attacking third. Could have done smth useful on standards, but MU barely made a foul near their box.
Chadli - 2. Nothing.

Kane - 4. Tried his best, ran his socks off, could have scored in the end, but De Gea got a bit lucky. Overall lacked service from our midfield shadows, often becoming the only midfielder who can start the attack.

Subs:
Dembele - 4. Should have started. We looked much better with him in midfield.
Lamela - 2. Nothing.
Adebayor - 2 or 3 (not really important). Tried to do something, but didn't.

Poch - 5. Not the best team selection, but he reacted quickly, subbing TOwnsend, who totally failed in this game. Also the team didn't lost the plot completely after the break, looked better defensively and at least tried to score.

ps: I'm not a pessimistic person, but I don't understand people who give most of our players 6s/7s after such poor perfomance.
1. We were totally raped in the 1st half, loosing each battle, conceding 3 goals from 3 shots on target, Carrick scored with his head, Fellaini scored with his leg, we were making absolutely silly defensive mistakes, producing fck all in attack. The hole team except Rose, Kane and Vert deserve 1 for this half.
2. We made one shot on target (on 89th minute!!!). I wonder when was the last time it happened?
3. We looked better in 2nd half not only because we upped our perfomance, but also because MU started playing in 2nd half, holding the score in their heads. It looked so obvious. F.e. if it was a 2nd match of two games clash somewhere in the cup and they needed to win in 4-5 goals, I'm pretty sure they would have done it this day.

Although I try to think about best possible variants and stay possitive, I can't see us finishing at top-4 anymore.

Last edited:
I can't see us finishing at top-4 anymore.

At what point in the season did you ever think we would?

I've always been confident that West Ham and Southampton wouldn't last the distance above us, but Arsenal, United and Liverpool have always been out of touch IMO.

We'll get closer next season though, as Arsenal and United are on downward curves and I think Liverpool's growth will round off a little.

Our big mistake this season was not finishing off Fiorentina at home. With a bit of luck we could have won the EL this season

I think one positive about the performance against United was that we didn't collapse.

They scored from their first 3 shots or something like that. Yes we were poor, but they were also ruthless (and a bit lucky) to get that early 3-0 lead. Regardless I'm sure I wasn't alone in thinking (and saying) "this could get really ugly". And considering some of our collapses last season (and before) who could blame us for being afraid of just that?

We didn't collapse though. We did lose 3-0 and that's bad enough, but at least it wasn't 5 or 6. At least we responded reasonably well in the second half and our players didn't completely lose their heads.

I think one positive about the performance against United was that we didn't collapse.

They scored from their first 3 shots or something like that. Yes we were poor, but they were also ruthless (and a bit lucky) to get that early 3-0 lead. Regardless I'm sure I wasn't alone in thinking (and saying) "this could get really ugly". And considering some of our collapses last season (and before) who could blame us for being afraid of just that?

We didn't collapse though. We did lose 3-0 and that's bad enough, but at least it wasn't 5 or 6. At least we responded reasonably well in the second half and our players didn't completely lose their heads.

lol, what planet are you from ? take this comment in a humorous way please, Utd totally sat back second half and done just enough, even then we created Jack, it was our most inept performance from manager and team of the season, Chadli, Townsend and Walker were nothing short of laughable whilst Mason, Bentaleb and Ericksen were really poor, only losing 3-0 is great, look at our goal difference, I have watched the top ten teams over the last month and we are the worse in pattern and organisation, we are going backwards, form and consistency is not a switch that you can turn on and off, what I cannot understand is how Baldini is still at our club !

man u have played 13 games less than us this season, 13, think about that, at the top level in any sport, 2 things beat you, speed and fatigue, we were tired and were due a letdown game

Back